Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am trying to remove my Starter motor to give it a bit of a health check.
I need to remove Alternator first.
I have removed the 3 x mounting bolts and tried to give it a little persuasion with a drift…ubt it’s pretty hard to get onto and not very willing to move.
Anybody know how I can get it out ?

Loach
:hammer

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You could use 2 of the long bolts to rock it - just insert the bolts part way in (or any clean metal rod) and rock it side to side - it should pull outward, disengaging the gears as you do. The seal can get dry and semi bond with the case, rocking should work and pull outward - not had one be too much of a problem - don't hit anything with a hammer though !

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks nickr, sprocket cover is off and have been rocking it with a couple of phillips head screw drivers. She's very solid. The vike looks like she has been sitting a long time......so must be bound up a bit. I will drench the connevtion in WD40 and try her again mext weekend.

Thanks.

Loachster

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all that chipped in.
I eventually got her out by taking the carbs off and prising it out with a screw driver she was very firm in place.

Loach

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Sorry I forgot to say that I remove the carbs when I remove the alternator ! - glad all is well now . . . better make sure that seal has nice fresh rubber grease (red synthetic stuff) on it when you refit it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts