Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one tatty 1990 1100L that I’m looking to make something special. I want to keep the same stock look but have something special underneath. I want a Fuel Injected Turbo with LCD clocks. 1) What carbs should I use? (GSXR1000 K1-4) 2) What ECU? (I emailed megasquirt and he told me to read and find what I need on their forums. Not very helpful...) I want to do away with the cable rev counters and speedo. 3) Can I run speed sensors on the front wheel from an ABS sensor if I use later GSXR1000 wheels? 4) Which turbo would be best? The more I read the more confused I get with conflicting reports. I appreciate this is a costly exercise but I’ve always wanted to build one of my own. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Mark

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,614 Posts
This is confusing...you ask about fuel injection and carbs...which is it?

How much boost? What are your hp goals? Pump gas?

What are you doing to the engine, to support the turbo? Pistons, rods, o-ring the deck, stronger valve springs etc?

You can modify a pick up and install it on the countershaft cover, to get your wheel speed and use a modern speedometer.
You don't have a cable driven tachometer, it uses an electronic pick up.

Mr. Turbo still supplies simple carbureted kits for your bike.

Mr Turbo | Turbo Systems

Nobody makes an aftermarket bolt-on electronic fuel injection system for your bike. So you have to be really smart, and know how to build what you need, be fluent in "megasquirt" speak etc...or be willing to pay someone else to do it. It's all been done before.
Throttle bodies can be re-racked to fit the oilers.
Cam position sensors can be modified to fit our bikes as well.

A single carb system is starting to sound good?

If you have to ask, then you really don't grasp what is required.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant throttle bodies for the fuel injection, not carbs. I don’t have all the insight, this is the first step for me so I asked a couple of questions to get me started.
I don’t know how much boost. What would you suggest?
I’d like to make 250+ hp. Nothing too crazy and useable
I’d like to use pump gas as it will be used primarily as a road bike
I don’t know anything at this point which you have clearly noted. I have no idea what you mean when you say “o-ring the deck” but I’ll get it worked out

I appreciate you taking the time to reply and the info you have put on. Any chance of being less of a dick on your next response? I’m sure you weren’t born with this knowledge so give me a break

I’m just after some help to get me started. If I knew what I needed I wouldn’t be asking the question.

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,614 Posts
Do a search here, however, there isn't much for EFI oiler projects. Research it on Google, info is sparse. Again, it can be done, but it requires lots of fabrication, lots of know-how. There's no kit available, so you're the R&D department.

Your bike's bottom end would have to be built up to support 250hp. Carrillo rods and studs for the top and bottom.
Turbo's are hard on head gaskets, after you've replace a few, you go to the next step and have the cylinder deck machined for an o-ring, along with a receiver groove in the bottom of the cylinder head.
You'll need an upgraded ignition, so you can take some timing out.
You can get dished "turbo" pistons from JE or Wossner.
Now would be a good time to add an auxiliary oil cooler.
There's lots of time and money to be spent, long before we worry about bolting on a turbo
It's a slippery slope.
GSXR Zone - Homepage

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Really a modern bike is your best bet for this. The amount of R&D/fab and machining work as well as dyno time justifies it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your bike's bottom end would have to be built up to support 250hp. Carrillo rods and studs for the top and bottom.
Turbo's are hard on head gaskets, after you've replace a few, you go to the next step and have the cylinder deck machined for an o-ring, along with a receiver groove in the bottom of the cylinder head.
You'll need an upgraded ignition, so you can take some timing out.
You can get dished "turbo" pistons from JE or Wossner.
Now would be a good time to add an auxiliary oil cooler.

I didn’t realise there was so much involved to be perfectly honest but having a detailed response from someone like yourself is very insightful and helpful.
I do really appreciate the honest feedback.

I’ll focus on getting the engine where it needs to be first and go from there.

Thank you Beairsto Racing 👍

·
Registered
15 Posts
Turboing these motors is a well worn route.

Simplest way is a MR Turbo kit, which is a draw through kit that sucks fuel through a single big old Mikuni carb. Suck is the right word. They are awful for street use, the throttle response is terrible.

Next is the blow through route using the stock modified carbs. There are people selling kits in Europe that bolt on. 200bhp with stock internals. You can get more if you wind the boost up but the pistons last 2 minutes. Next fit gen1 Hayabusa pistons, these take the motor out to 1216cc and lower the compression ratio. people get a reliable 250bhp, 270bhp with an intercooler, with this set-up, and no other internal mods.

Loads of motors with this set-up in Europe running in street and very reliable once set-up.

Megatsquirt, gsxr 600/750 throttle bodies, Carillos, forged pistons, and 350bhp+ is achievable.

Anything over 150bhp, and you'll suffer from a clutch slip though, so a lock up clutch is needed.

Google "oldskoolsuzuki" you'll find all the info you need there.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Any chance of being less of a dick on your next response? I’m sure you weren’t born with this knowledge so give me a break

I’m just after some help to get me started. If I knew what I needed I wouldn’t be asking the question.
Honestly, Bearisto wasn't being a dick at all. You can run a carb turbo kit, or a FI turbo kit. He was just trying to figure out what direction you wanted to go. He also has years of experience in these motors and bikes that he appears to be willing to share with you, but your total lack of knowledge in what you are asking about seems to have raised some concerns with him.

I would do some research on this site and who has responded to your questions before calling anyone on here a dick. Truthfully you got off way easy compared to other responses I have seen to questions like the ones you asked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turboing these motors is a well worn route.

Simplest way is a MR Turbo kit, which is a draw through kit that sucks fuel through a single big old Mikuni carb. Suck is the right word. They are awful for street use, the throttle response is terrible.

Thank you for the info. This really helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any chance of being less of a dick on your next response? I’m sure you weren’t born with this knowledge so give me a break

Honestly, Bearisto wasn't being a dick at all. You can run a carb turbo kit, or a FI turbo kit. He was just trying to figure out what direction you wanted to go. He also has years of experience in these motors and bikes that he appears to be willing to share with you, but your total lack of knowledge in what you are asking about seems to have raised some concerns with him.

I would do some research on this site and who has responded to your questions before calling anyone on here a dick. Truthfully you got off way easy compared to other responses I have seen to questions like the ones you asked.
I was just a little put out at the time. I didn’t explain myself properly and I did thank them for taking the time to respond. My apologies for using that language. I do appreciate this question has been responded to 100’s of times. I have been reading through forums and Gixxer.com but I had more questions after. There are a few mixed versions of the path to take and my intention was to gather information the simplest way to make a start. I do really appreciate the feedback and the time you have all taken to give the responses you have and share the knowledge with someone as green as me. I didn’t want to spend money on items not needed

Sincerely, Thank You, ALL of you for sharing your knowledge and experience

I will share with the club how I’m getting on (no doubt I will need further guidance 🙄)

We all share the same love and my apologies for not expressing myself correctly to begin with

Many thanks,
Mark

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,614 Posts
This is a quality kit out of Finland.
https://www.proboost.fi/motorcycle-turbo-kits

When the Oilers were current, there was far more aftermarket support for them.
MC Express, RB Racing etc. all made kits. Sims & Rohm sold a supercharger!

I get by with a Mr. Turbo kit on my '86 1100. I like that you can still get parts for them.
I expected it to be a bit fussy around town, it is...so would a high compression, big cam 1340, I can live with both.

Fast By Gast - High Performance Motorcycle Parts
I recommend getting your transmission gears undercut.

I don't think there are any short cuts. Your results may vary.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a quality kit out of Finland.
https://www.proboost.fi/motorcycle-turbo-kits

When the Oilers were current, there was far more aftermarket support for them.
MC Express, RB Racing etc. all made kits. Sims & Rohm sold a supercharger!

I get by with a Mr. Turbo kit on my '86 1100. I like that you can still get parts for them.
I expected it to be a bit fussy around town, it is...so would a high compression, big cam 1340, I can live with both.

Fast By Gast - High Performance Motorcycle Parts
I recommend getting your transmission gears undercut.

I don't think there are any short cuts. Your results may vary.

Cheers,
Scott
Thank you Scott

Some really useful information. I honestly didn’t realise there was so much more to this installation but I am thoroughly enjoying the feedback. I’m learning a little more each day

Can’t thank you guys enough 👍

1 - 12 of 12 Posts