Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Well, the big day has finally happened. After 46 years, I FINALLY HAVE A GARAGE 😀 No more wrenching in random business parking lots or suffering in the cold. There are a bunch of things I need to do to the garage but it's a start. 20' x 20' and the wife is NOT allowed to park in it haha!

View attachment 574620

On the bike front, a few developments. Finally have my shock and cartridges back from Thermosman. If you need to have your cartridges re-valved or a Fox shock rebuilt, I can't recommend him enough! After having numerous issues with another vendor, he will be my go to guy moving forward for anything suspension oriented. I picked up a set of NOS fork tubes, lowers, and new springs. After almost a year of searching, I gave up trying to find a good set of 43mm forks to work with. I can't believe how much money I ended up investing in this front end. I also picked up a second Eibach spring for the stock linkage incase I don't use the SRS link out of the gate. Every single wear item on the Fox was replaced. Put a torrington bearing on it and machined up the preload collar to remove all the damage it had. I'm hoping to have the forks rebuilt this weekend. Also fitting a Shindy steering damper. This pretty much rounds out the suspension upgrades (minus the SPF swingarm which will come later).

View attachment 574626

Got my wheels powder coated semigloss white. New bearings and 2CT tires are ready for assembly. Should have this done in 3 weeks or so.

View attachment 574627

I removed the second look seat cover and reupholstered the front seat back to factory black. It was really easy to do, all you need is a good staple gun and 3D stretch seat fabric. Also, got my new windscreen in. You can still order them from Zero Gravity but it takes a couple months to get. Kinda wished I bought a spare.

View attachment 574628

Slow but steady progress. Now that I secured a garage, the bike will definitely be done for spring. Not sure if I will have it painted or not but it will be ready which is awesome.
T-Man is awesome!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A little project update. Free time is harder to come by these days but progress is taking place none the less.

I built up my trailer. It's a folding 4x8 aluminum trailer with a few updates. Added high speed wheels and had them balanced, bearing buddies, added split wire loom with a tool box and spare tire to be added in the next few weeks. It took more time than anticipated to get it built up but pretty happy with the results all things considered. Maiden voyage forthcoming.

576127


For the bike, assembled the wheelset. After powder coating, I found the bearing bores grew slightly from the thermal cycles/loading and the bearings were now a light slip fit. I ended up using Permatex retaining compound which is designed for this purpose (part #60950) which fixed the issue. Front end is now assembled. There was some learning curve for me. I thought the new springs would be plug and play but you need to make custom spacers to get the appropriate preload which is standard practice but I was unaware. Nothing too challenging but it all took time to dial in the assembly and make sure it was done correctly. I started the new wiring which is 50% done. I was fortunate to find an NOS wire harness and replaced every diode, relay, wire on the bike. Also installing a Dyna 2000 with Dyna mini-coils. It was a pricey endeavor but I can't stand troubleshooting electrical issues. Hopefully that solves any issues that may have been there. Installed the Woodcraft rearsets, clipons and CRG levers. Tomorrow I drop the bike off at GMD Computrack to have the chassis checked out for straightness and alignment. As I took this bike apart, I noticed that everything was safety wired so this thing saw track time somewhere in its life. I just hope there are no issues.

576131


With the bike at the shop, I'm going to rebuild the calipers and master cylinders. I'm glad I took them apart. The rear caliper and master was seized and filled with sludge. Hopefully when I pick up my bike I'll be able to install them.

576130


The one thing I allowed myself to do on this build was spend thee money and buy the right tools. I can't tell you how much easier it makes everything. For example, I bought the Motion Pro triple tree bearing puller. That thing was awesome and I had the bearing off in like 5 minutes. At least I'll be able to maintain this bike easily as time passes.
 
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Top