Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Backstory: I've owned and built a number of bikes through the years with my last being a 2003 ZX9R. That bike was totaled in 2004 and I honestly thought I would never own another motorcycle again. I had routine dreams though ever since about having another one and each time I would wake up totally excited and think about motorcycles all day. Unfortunately, the timing just wouldn't allow for it as I had too much else going on in life. That said, as I've gotten older, I've become more and more aware that tomorrow is no guarantee. If there's something you want to do, seize the moment and go for it. So a year ago I saw a Fox Twin Clicker with SRS link on ebay - I bought it and that's how this build began.

Since, I've accumulated quite a bit (my closet is part storage for the time being). I've seen a number of bikes come up for sale locally over the last year but they're either complete garbage buckets or pristine restored and huge money. Its been challenging being patient but this is my last build and I can't afford to do it twice. Yesterday this bike came up and I knew if I didn't immediately get it, it would be gone by the end of the day.

The bike has been clearly cared for and garaged all its life. There's not a single nick in the frame or the swing arm. The oil cooler looks new. I could eat off the motor it's so clean. Also came with a solo cowl. Motor is original. It's not perfect though - the other side needs a mid, lower, and tail from the previous guy dropping it in the driveway trying to jumpstart it. The bike wasn't running but I bought it anyways for $1600. I was pretty happy with the deal.

Today I put a battery in it and it fired right up. After a few minutes, one or a few of the carbs starting overflowing with gas so I shut it down. I'll take a look at it in a few weeks when I'll have my mornings free for a bit. A dealership supposedly winterized it with fuel stabilizer but it's been sitting for 2 1/2 years. I think I'm going to drain the gas, put new inline fuel filters and either rebuild the carbs on put on my smoothbores (I have a new set of 36's). I'm hoping to get it running and get some seat time and maybe a trip to the dragstrip before the seasons end. We're buying a house at the end of the year so when I have a garage that's when the real tare down and rebuild will begin.

Anyways, totally stoked to have a bike again!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Very nice bike!!

Your definition of a "build" is a little different than mine

My builds usually come in a box. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AirTech fairing kit came in today. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about them. Some parts are nice (the upper for instance) others not so much (mids will need work for sure). The Yosh lower is spider cracked everywhere if you put it up to the light. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that when I have them painted it will not do the same. Don't get me wrong, I get they're track fairings, but paying to have them painted and then having them spider cracking everywhere would kinda piss me off. Overall I'd say they're ok. I guess time will tell how they hold up.

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,100 Posts
Their stuff can really be hit or miss, and I resented having to finesse and repair brand new parts, but they were never intended to be "bolt on". Lots of fitting is required.
I just about cried when my first Hayabusa LSR body arrived after waiting months, it needed so much work...fortunately I picked up a paint & body sponsor soon after.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
nice bike! it appears clean and mostly original. i'd keep that one as-is, with of course normal maintenance and stuff, then i'd buy another second gen to fit the aftermarket stuff. i guess that's why i now have too many motorcycles, with not enough space or time.

keep us updated, but that is a nice, mostly original second gen. these bikes are 30 years old!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m going to do 2 different builds for the same bike. Next year Im setting it up for track days and going to run my 2nd motor. There’s a pretty long list of stuff I have for it. During next year I’ll do a comprehensive rebuild of the original motor and have the OEM bodywork painted and redecaled. Then I’ll swap everything over and build a second dedicated track bike. If everything goes as planned I’ll be riding it sometime next week :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Started the carb rebuild. Everything has come in - ultrasonic cleaner, simple green, rebuild kit, dynojet kit, and some parts from Ron Ayers. Carbs came off pretty easy (thanks to a how to thread on here). When you start taking apart a bike you start finding the sins. Idle screw assembly was thrashed, paper fuel filters were broken, one of the brass choke tubes was bent with a small crack. Nothing major really but this must not have run too well. The mixture screws were set between 2 & 2 3/4 turns and needle clips were in the wrong slot. I was surprised by how worn the needles were. That aside, man this ultrasonic cleaner is kick ass! I'm surprised by how well it works. I bought this one and it was worth every single penny: Ultrasonic Cleaner . I washed them each for 20 minutes with a 1:20 ratio of the cleaner changing the water each time. Then I went back and did another 10 in clean water and blew every single orifice with compressed air numerous times. Very pleased with the results. Now I need to pick up some epoxy to fix the brass tube (luckily it not broken or totally crashed, just pushed in a bit with a little crack) and start the reassembly process. Slow progress.

Side note, the top center tube that's blocked of with the brass plug - where should that be going? Also, the top 2 "tees" had no tubes on them and were just sitting there. They should have tubes that route to the bottom of the frame yes?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I got around to working on the bike again. I finished the carbs and replaced basically everything. New jet kit, throttle cable, idle adjuster, and replaced every gasket and fuel/vacuum line.

Something worth mentioning is the Pingel inline fuel filters. You can't tell from the online pics but the filter element is HUGE compared to the other stuff on the market (or at least what I found). Below is a comparison between the K&N filters I had and the Pingel unit (side note - the fuel line that was on the bike was smaller than the stock 1/4" ID line hence the reason I initially bought the K&N). The Pingels are pricey but worth it IMO.

As I was reassembling everything, I found other issues. Check out this:

Yes, the freaking lower triple tree bolts WERE FALLING OUT! The last owner had the forks rebuilt and the "mechanic" never tightened the lower triple tree bolts. As I've been going through the work done by the delaerships the last guy used, it's all done poorly. This is why I almost never (twice in 25 years) have anyone work on my stuff. The last owner is so lucky he didn't crash. Needless to say, I'm not riding this thing until I pull off the plastic and check every single bolt and part of this bike. Also, I found rust flakes at the bottom of my tank when I was draining the old fuel so it looks like I'm going to have to flush and clean it with vinegar/chain shaking method. I was really hoping to ride this bike over the weekend but those plans have changed. It's fine though, I'd rather take my time and be confident things are done well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I finally got everything to rebuild the brake system. I'm rebuilding both master cylinders, front/rear calipers and putting in stainless lines etc. It's taken me 4 months, mostly to sort out the front rotors. Finding a solid set used is pretty hard so I decided to buy new. I bought EBC rotors and upon inspecting the rivets/buttons, I found them all to be cracked and poorly swaged. I contacted EBC and they sent me replacements. Checked the replacements and those too were cracked. Bought a second set from a different vendor and you guessed it, junk as well. They all got sent back. I was surprised by the lack of concern from EBC. They didn't seem to care much and never asked for the rotors to be exchanged when they sent replacements. If you are buying new rotors, keep in mind EBC uses their on proprietary button design and you can't (as far as I know) service them yourself or convert the rotors to true full floating rotors. If you get EBC's, make sure to check the buttons and buy them from a reputable dealer that has a return policy. I ended up buying Ferodo rotors and they were mint out of the box.

EBC cracked rivets:

On the tank front, got rid of the old gas via local hazardous waste day, picked up BB's and vinegar. Should have the inside reconditioned by next week.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the same one. This is right from the showroom floor ready to break in the motor with some riding in the White Mountains. Best bike ever. I had quite a bit of fun with this one.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Very interested in watching this one. Great start!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cleaned the gas tank. I used the vinegar and BB approach. First, I poured maybe 1/2 gallon of vinegar, a small container of BB's, and shook about 20 minutes. When looking into the gas tank, it looked like I got most of it. This is what came out:

I decided to get the rest out via a 5 day soak of vinegar filling the tank to the top. Afterwards, this came out:

I was surprised by how much rust there was! When looking into the gas tank via the gas cap, there wasn't any rust to be seen. When you looked into it from the petcock opening, you could see some but it didn't look too bad. At any rate, the tank is like new now. Pretty sure it should run better without all this junk running through the carbs.

I also picked up some Woodcraft 3 piece clipons and rearsets. Ironically the rearsets are for an 03 ZX9R (bolt right up). Picked up a ZX9R rear master and should be good to go. I kinda like that I have something from my old bike on this one.

Also got new blinkers and an OEM plate light. Converting everything to LED lighting except the headlights (halogen) so this setup should be much more visible.

I wish I had more time to dedicate to the build. Night school, house hunting on the weekends, and having a 3 year old is taking all my time. Hope we score a house/garage soon. It would be so much easier to get things done.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Wow that's a lot of metal come off the inside of the tank. I would be worried that it may be paper thin in some places. I have used a fuel tank membrane coating which has lasted 7 years now, even with ethanol.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
impressive. keep up the good work. i agree with you, it is always best to do your own work, or to double check someone else's work. been there, done that.

keep us updated. i'll be visiting her more frequently.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts