Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,

I am trying to track down a service manual for a 1989 GSX R 250.

This machine is in mint condition and was recently given (that's right given) to my son. It is a grey import into Australia [where we live] and as such finding support for the same is proving a little tricky.

Does anyone have
a) a service manual they are prepared to part with?
b) a website that might sell a manual to us?
c) a huge heart to email me an already scanned mint condition manual? :)

Thanks in advance.

Also two side issues.

1. On cold mornings it is proving to be a bit of a pain to start.
Been right through the HT leads and recovered an un-loved electrical system back to new. Rebalanced the carbs, which were a mile out!. Did the spark plugs and air filter. Done the new battery part. Tested the charging of the same.

The only thing I can think of now is the shims not openning the valves enough in the cold morning to actually get the fuel to where it needs to be.

Any other left field thoughts and suggestions [serious ones only please] welcomed.

Once it has run once in a day the rest of the day it starts first pop, no issue.

2. Pack Rack quest
Was there ever a pack rack made for this model? Finding one on the web is proving tricky also. My son is a chef and he wants to carry the knifes to and from work, without psychically carrying them on his back, for obvious reasons. A pack rack would therefore be a real life saver, if anyone knows where we could track one down?

Thanks in advance folks!

Tradeon!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I unfortunately don't meet her in English language.

There are still microfiches and Owners manual.
And on 400.
Here can will help.

http://www.gsxrclub.ru/index.php/topic,1130.0.html
Thank you the micro films was handy also. Already learnt a lot just looking at the prints!

Happy to have anyone try to give us a hand, but thanks Pasis for the help so quickly offered.

Tradeon

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
About your hard starting issue:

Does your choke open all the way?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, I got part of it sorted. Choke full on, no throttle at all and crank for about 20 to 30 seconds and it fires. Hard work on the battery each cold start however. Any throttle and it dies.

Learning all the time!

Not happy that it takes that much hard work on all systems to get it to fire. I am thinking valves and shims?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just to understand why I want to go to all this trouble. Attached is a couple of pics. The bike is in mint condition. It has one sratch on it near the petrol tank.

Find the orginal seat and it is back to being a top little screamer.

Tradeon

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tradeon33, any luck finding an english manual? I need one myself :)

I've done a lot of searching for one but so far that Japanese one is the only one I've seen.
I purchased a set of manuals that included the Japanese one, but included an English owners manual, not the service manual. That however with the Japanese one, Microfysh, and assorted other documents got me over any of my issues.

Happy to send them to you if you would like. PM Me

Tradeon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello fellow baby gixer owners, sadly there are no English manuals available as the GSXR250's were only made for the Japanese home market, some of the GJ72A (older model were sold in other countries) Denmark, Holland,but the GJ73A was Japananese market only. I have a full workshop manual which I'm trying to get translated but it's 302 pages and they want over £1100 to translate. If I get stuck I ask the students at the local language college.
I buy any bikes that come up for sale here in the uk as donor bikes.
Andy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I am wondering if any fellow baby gixxer owners can help out. My dad and I are currently restoring a crashed GSX-R250 we got from a friend and we can't for the life of us, locate where you add coolant.

Unlike Tradeon33's model, ours is older and has the gradual sloping seat. Here's a photo for comparison (pre-crash):

Thanks guys and girls!

- Steve

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Just to understand why I want to go to all this trouble. Attached is a couple of pics. The bike is in mint condition. It has one sratch on it near the petrol tank.

Find the orginal seat and it is back to being a top little screamer.

Tradeon
Suzuki should have made the same fairings for the 750/1100, i like the double round headlights.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all, I am wondering if any fellow baby gixxer owners can help out. My dad and I are currently restoring a crashed GSX-R250 we got from a friend and we can't for the life of us, locate where you add coolant.

Unlike Tradeon33's model, ours is older and has the gradual sloping seat. Here's a photo for comparison (pre-crash):

Thanks guys and girls!

- Steve
Steve et All!

I would like to track down a seat for my bike also, as it is fitted with a Suzuki seat, but not the one for that actual model. Could anyone point me in a direction to source a seat with more of a wrap around style that would fit the yellow bike pictured above?

I know that the seat on my bike is not the orginal for that model, but one for the next model of bike, as whilst it fits, it doesn't cover the battery totally and looks far from right.

The seat I am loooking for has more form to it. it wraps around the petrol tank a bit more and sweeps upwards to the passengers seat with a lot more style.

Steve, did you restore your bike, or might there be a seat looking for a good home, if you have a black one lying around? :)

Tradeon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all
Just to let you know I have a gsxr250 1989 GJ73A I am breaking the complete bike for parts.
Thought I would let you know as parts for these bikes are getting a bit rare these days oh and I will not be charging stupid prices either
I am in the uk.
I get around the web on different bike forums asf, BWA, old skool suzuki, nz streetfighters etc.

carbs,barrels and pistons, clocks are sold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hi all
Just to let you know I have a gsxr250 1989 GJ73A I am breaking the complete bike for parts.
Thought I would let you know as parts for these bikes are getting a bit rare these days oh and I will not be charging stupid prices either
I am in the uk.
I get around the web on different bike forums asf, BWA, old skool suzuki, nz streetfighters etc.

carbs,barrels and pistons, clocks are sold.
Cables! Whatever drives the choke system, clutch, what are your shocks like? (front and rear) what is the style of the seat?

The little Gixxer we have has big issues starting on cold mornings. Could be the choke cable which doesn't appear to do much and or the coils. How was your bike starting before you pulled it down?

In the mean time. For sure interested in Choke cable, shocks, clutch, if they are ok. Pm Me directly please?

Also thinking about it, is your swing arm straight?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Alfiestorm

I'm in the process of restoring a 1989 GSXR 250R GJ73A and are looking for parts, do you perhaps have any left, I'm after fairings, back indicator lights, I'm living in Australia. Thans

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.