Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Job done - I shocked the screws with a hammer and driver bit and not one single bit of trouble removing them.

Seal are in bad shape - now the question of whether to replace the intake boots as I thing they leaked carb side too

·
Registered
285 Posts
And NOW it updates and shows me the damaged goods. LOL
Yeah. Wouldn't even try to save them. They aren't too expensive.
And there could well be hidden cracks that will still leak after replacing the o-rings.
Very, very common problem with these...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not trying to start a new direction here, but I had the same exact problem. Pulled the carbs, cleaned them, bench balanced, installed...crap idle, etc.

I had to just pull the jets and soak them all for a week, checked them, verified all clean and clear, bench balanced, installed, got the idle right, vacuum balanced - she runs great.

I had the same worries - cracked boots, vac leaks, etc. Clogged pilot jets on at least 2 of the carbs was the dealio... Not saying yours is a simple situation, but never underestimate the power of the dark side...or a clogged pilot jet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 86 GSX-R1100 that I have owned since new. I have read all these posts and have had the same issues over the years. Yes, you need to replace those intake boots, and also check the rubber on the diaphragms. But what you are dealing with is mostly with the slow circuit of the carbs. Another thing to check and replace are the tiny seals on the shafts of the throttle plates. I discovered a vacuum leak there via carb cleaner when sprayed directly at each one. You have to remove the two tiny screws holding the plates to the shafts, and will need JIS phillips to do get them out, or grind them off. A real pain, but is the only way to remove those shafts to then replace the seal at the end. After 30+ years, they leak. I also have been fighting carb issues in the last couple of years due to only occasionally running the bike, and the gas in the float bowls will evaporate and clog the tiny passages. Had to remove and clean them a number of times, only to reoccur a year later. Now I drain them after a run, and run the starter to completely empty the passages while clamping off the vacuum hose to the fuel tap. The biggest improvement has come via recently begun using Sea Foam in the tank. It does not let that buildup occur.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 86 GSX-R1100 that I have owned since new. I have read all these posts and have had the same issues over the years. Yes, you need to replace those intake boots, and also check the rubber on the diaphragms. But what you are dealing with is mostly with the slow circuit of the carbs. Another thing to check and replace are the tiny seals on the shafts of the throttle plates. I discovered a vacuum leak there via carb cleaner when sprayed directly at each one. You have to remove the two tiny screws holding the plates to the shafts, and will need JIS phillips to do get them out, or grind them off. A real pain, but is the only way to remove those shafts to then replace the seal at the end. After 30+ years, they leak. I also have been fighting carb issues in the last couple of years due to only occasionally running the bike, and the gas in the float bowls will evaporate and clog the tiny passages. Had to remove and clean them a number of times, only to reoccur a year later. Now I drain them after a run, and run the starter to completely empty the passages while clamping off the vacuum hose to the fuel tap. The biggest improvement has come via recently begun using Sea Foam in the tank. It does not let that buildup occur.
That's some good guidance! I'll have to check mine now that you mention it.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Seams everyone likes spraying carb cleaner. Shits caustic. It's not good for anything it touches. Speeds degradation of soft parts, and strips internal coatings, which will eventually cause oxidation , and ruin your rack. Use Sparingly, and clean up quickly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seams everyone likes spraying carb cleaner. Shits caustic. It's not good for anything it touches. Speeds degradation of soft parts, and strips internal coatings, which will eventually cause oxidation , and ruin your rack. Use Sparingly, and clean up quickly.
Agreed on that point. I do my best to keep it away from any rubber components. Works great on brass jets though!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Latest update -

Air / Vacuum leak frustration.

Having identified the intake rubbers as leaking I bought new ones with new O Rings and fitted them today.

Hoping that the hanging revs would go away I then started her only to find the revs still hanging.

Out came the easy start and I found leaks where the carbs enter the boots and on the carb caps.

Stripped them off again and re did the caps bedding the diaphragms in with some grease to make the seal.

Put em back on and still leaking

Cap o rings are present.

So now the focus is on the caps and mouth of the intake boots.

Any advice ?

Link to video -

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would double check your pilot circuit is super clean. are your clamps getting enough pressure on the boot? the idle doesn't sound like its hanging that bad in the video\, but its hard to tell

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Dot it sorted the carb caps were not flat so sucked air in, the bike was stolen today i am very upset

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Local scumbag. Neighbor, one of your friends possibly even. Somebody saw it.
What part of the country?
The bike was kept in my loclupgarage close to home in Liverpool. The theives used pick axes to gain access and stole both the GSXR and my kids 1980 TY80
No friends suspected not neighbor - this was a targetted attack.

Needless to say I am totally gutted.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
The bike was kept in my loclupgarage close to home in Liverpool. The theives used pick axes to gain access and stole both the GSXR and my kids 1980 TY80
No friends suspected not neighbor - this was a targetted attack.

Needless to say I am totally gutted.
That sucks big time. Sorry to hear it.
Anything from the police? Prints?

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,619 Posts
Yeah, "gutted" is the right word, I can't imagine.
Stay positive...there have been several instances here, where stolen bikes were successfully recovered.
Do what you can, to let as many people as possible know that your bike was taken...bike shops, wreckers etc...so that they are suspicious of someone trying to sell clean 1st gen parts, or the whole bike.
Keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah, "gutted" is the right word, I can't imagine.
Stay positive...there have been several instances here, where stolen bikes were successfully recovered.
Do what you can, to let as many people as possible know that your bike was taken...bike shops, wreckers etc...so that they are suspicious of someone trying to sell clean 1st gen parts, or the whole bike.
Keep us in the loop.
The Slingshot is back. The idiots ran out of fuel and left it in a street. Facebook alert was seen and a member of the public rang me and I met the police and recovered it back.
No damage.

The TY80 is still missing.

Now I am in the process of securing the location where it is kept.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That is great news! An easy way to secure your bike is to anchor a large eyelet into the ground and cable lock the bike to that.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts