Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought my first Suzuki, and whoever had the bike before me swapped engines. However the wiring is all over the place and a lot of the parts were mismatch. I replaced spark plugs, ignition coils, signal generator and CDI box with no results. I'm starting to wonder if it's a wiring issue or if I bought faulty parts (suspicious about the CDI, but I don't have any way to test it). Wondering if anyone would have any insight on what I should do next, or some way to test the CDI box.

· Registered
243 Posts
I recently bought my first Suzuki, and whoever had the bike before me swapped engines. However the wiring is all over the place and a lot of the parts were mismatch. I replaced spark plugs, ignition coils, signal generator and CDI box with no results. I'm starting to wonder if it's a wiring issue or if I bought faulty parts (suspicious about the CDI, but I don't have any way to test it). Wondering if anyone would have any insight on what I should do next, or some way to test the CDI box.
Are you certain it is CDI? how many Ohms are the coils?? itcould possibly be a katana or bandit enginee. IIRC they have differnet ignition types to the early GSXR and parts could have gotten swapped around.

· Registered
49 Posts
ZERO Spark? With all the mismatched stuff you are talking about I would tend to believe your trouble is there. But I'll throw a curveball to that thinking that had me kinda stumped recently.

My bike was starting fine, but I had (have) carb leaking issues and I came close to hydro-locking the engine with gas. I may have even done it without damage. But just like that the next day I couldn't get the engine to start. Of course convinced it was the carbs still I started checking everything over. And the with the plugs out the motor would turn as I watched the piston go up and down, but the spark just did not seem consistent. It took forever for the spark to occur, more time than I had remembered in the past.

So looking into it I believed the starter clutch bolt was loose and sure enough there it was only hand tight, I gather catching at times and not at others and throwing the whole spark sequence off enough not to ignite the correct amount of fuel and then pulling in too much without spark at times flooding it out.

A bit far fetched as your issue, but if you have ANY spark at times but not enough timed right, could be something to look into.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

These are the only markings I could make out on the bike, and after looking them up (the ones on the block) it seems to be a first gen gsxr 1100, but let me know what you think. The resistance between the coil terminals is 5 ohms, and between the 2 coil wires 15 ohms on the 200k setting. Do those seem good? I bought them new, granted off of eBay.

· Registered
49 Posts
I am not so good at reading engine serial numbers, but look to the cylinder bank left side sitting on the bike. If it says 1052cm its a 86-88 motor. If it says 1127cm it is either a Katana (black) or GSXR (kinda brownish) engine. Many have been repainted by now so hard to tell. Serial number guys might be able to chime in.

Seeing that mess of wiring through one of your pictures I'd by far suggest you contiue to look there as long as the bike seems to be turning healthy off the starter. No reason to waste time if it is working good. But....

If you want to eliminate my concern, which again looking at that mess of wires I'd imagine the issue is within there. Left side lower engine cover just under those cc numbers I told you to check remove it there is a 17mm bolt holding the starter clutch that can come loose. If it is, best to clean bolt and crank threads, add loctite and with bike in 5th and foot on rear brake try and torque it down 110lb/ft or the best you can do.

I'll add that bike being a 1992 with an 1100 in it, appears to be flatslides, and a dirty but polished frame hiding beneath, it is worthy of finding a new harness. Try and locate one and everything should plug and play right in and offer long term reliability. You've got something nice on your hands there worthy of a little investment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.