Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Lots of options
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a '87 1100 on the cheap cheap, that is not shifting or shifting very hard, running and not running, thinking possible bent shift forks, or shift rod, will probably get into it on the weekend, wondering if this is an issue for these bikes, and if so where the problem usually lies? Also for anyone that's done this work does the engine need to come out? Thanks for the help, up in Saskatchewan Canada, so a long ways off riding up here, plenty of time to diagnose and replace or fix parts.

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,672 Posts
Is it hard shifting from neutral into 1st?
Do you experience false neutrals, when shifting through the gears?
Does it pop out of gear when accelerating hard, in 1st, 2nd?

Yes, the engine has to come out.
The cases have to be split.
A manual will walk you through it.

These bikes were ridden hard when they were new, and the last 30 years probably weren't gentle either.
If you do get into the transmission, get the gears undercut, to improve spirited shifting.

·
Registered
Lots of options
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Won’t shift at all, I haven’t don’t much with it as I just bought it. $500 Canadian so hard to go wrong. Well sounds like I’m pulling the motor then, I’ll let you know what I find once I’m inside. I have the service manual and have been reading up.

·
Registered
Lots of options
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motor is out, only pulled the oil pan so far, fair bit of metal on the pickup screen so I’m thinking there is definitely going to be some parts needing replaced, will dig more into this week and see where the damage is. Wish me luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
Lots of options
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Got things apart today, a missing tooth on both my 5th gears (I think that’s 5th gear?), a bearing blow out (somehow, not sure how that happens?), but shift forks and drum actually look ok, tell me different if you think they don’t look good. Time to start ordering parts, if anyone has a complete gear setup they are interested in selling, I’m looking, might just pony up the money for new parts from cheapcycleparts.com

Attachments

·
Registered
Lots of options
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Doc, I would like to just do a strait swap of complete input and output's as there is some shaft damage where my 1st gear has destroyed a bushing and washer, will keep my eye out on ebay for some donors as I have some time before the snow is melted up here in Canada

1 - 8 of 8 Posts