Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,242 Posts
Cool :biggrin

One of these days I'll be looking for a NOS upper, right side mid and maybe a belly but for now I'm just happy to be able to get her on the road this year. Thanks for your help :cheers
Got it ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
Wow... It doesn't get much better than that :biggrin

Today, I cleaned out the blue/white gas tank, added some fresh petrol and brought her out into the sun for an extended run. Started and idled really nicely but still some issues with revving her up. It got better after running and a few revs (and backfires) which leads me to believe I didn't clean the jets as well as I should have.
She's got a solid idle though.... Any day now I'll get the new clutch springs and take her for a ride :cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a former Mechanic for Suzuki Shop I can say the wet and dry clutch are not interchangeable shafts and other internal parts are all different, ..... I'm putting feelers out trying to decide what my 86 gsxr limited is worth.....I bought it when I worked at the shop rode it every now and then and has only 5k original miles on it, I put it together out of the crate and put Yosh header on before it was ever started, stock exhaust is still hanging in garage in perfect condition, still has original front tire although definitely needs replaced, Great Shape other than signs of sitting for so long, ...any Ideas of the value ????

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
As a former Mechanic for Suzuki Shop I can say the wet and dry clutch are not interchangeable shafts and other internal parts are all different, ..... I'm putting feelers out trying to decide what my 86 gsxr limited is worth.....I bought it when I worked at the shop rode it every now and then and has only 5k original miles on it, I put it together out of the crate and put Yosh header on before it was ever started, stock exhaust is still hanging in garage in perfect condition, still has original front tire although definitely needs replaced, Great Shape other than signs of sitting for so long, ...any Ideas of the value ????
Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of the guys here are well acquainted with the differences in the clutch, shaft, plates, basket, springs. The tough part with owning the limited bikes is getting parts but that said, if you take care of it, you'll only need one clutch. I've had the same wet clutch in my 85 GSXR since about 1993 and there's no hint of slippage. I've got brand new plates on my LTD (zero miles) :thumbup

Value depends where you are and who your market is. I saw one sell up here (West Coast Canada) 5 or 6 years ago for $5,500 and it sold real fast. There's another on CL up here for $9,000 and it hasn't budged in 6 months.

One sold in Australia recently and I think it sold for north of $20k (AU dollars)... I can't be sure of the exact sale price and of course it was minty.

I did follow one a few years ago on EBay that sold for about $16K (USD) but again it was mint and lived in the games room of someones house. It had upgrades (exotic wheels, exhaust and maybe carbs, I don't recall) but it also had all the factory stuff wrapped in plastic and only had a few hundred miles on the clock.

Last summer one of our members had his tastefully modded 750R Limited on Ebay and he had bids up to just under $10k but his reserve wasn't met so I don't know if he ever sold it.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
That would be my limited. Still got it. Rode it the other day, very glad I didn't let it go.

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
That would be my limited. Still got it. Rode it the other day, very glad I didn't let it go.
Yup, that's definitely your bike I was talking about.

Although I can appreciate the low mileage minty OEM bikes, I know first hand how rideability improvements to wheels, suspension and breathing can make these bikes even more fun to ride. I'd be glad to keep it too. She's a beauty!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Hi there,

I am also working on my Ltd.
It got fully technical reworked including the engine and the clutch.
I took care that the old Patina ist still there instead of trying to make a new bike.
Last step is the bodywork for which ich need new decals.

Does anybody know where I can get all the stickers for the fairing?
Cheers, Jörg
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
Hi there,

I am also working on my Ltd.
It got fully technical reworked including the engine and the clutch.
I took care that the old Patina ist still there instead of trying to make a new bike.
Last step is the bodywork for which ich need new decals.

Does anybody know where I can get all the stickers for the fairing?
Cheers, Jörg View attachment 578851 View attachment 578852 View attachment 578853

Jörg, your timing is really quite excellent. I was recently put in contact with a fellow in Germany who is producing very good replica's of these decals. I am purchasing a set for my Limited Edition GSXR which is getting paint now.

You can contact him via Facebook from this post:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Jörg, your timing is really quite excellent. I was recently put in contact with a fellow in Germany who is producing very good replica's of these decals. I am purchasing a set for my Limited Edition GSXR which is getting paint now.

You can contact him via Facebook from this post:
Great Andrew,

I will contact him immediately.
Many thanks and post some pictures when your bike is ready. I will do the same.

Cheers, Joerg

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
Great Andrew,

I will contact him immediately.
Many thanks and post some pictures when your bike is ready. I will do the same.

Cheers, Joerg
Hi Joerg,

I'll definitely post some photos as I make more progress. Here's the most recent photo:

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I actually acquired an extremely clean and dent free tank several days ago too so the original tank will be cleaned up and painted as a spare and the dent free tank will go on the bike.

This bike was a little ratty when I got her but she's an original survivor; all stock. Everything was original when I acquired her. The clutch was blown up when I took possession and it hadn't been ridden since the 1990's. Along with the clutch basket, pressure plate, springs, retainers, plates, etc..., I replaced the ignition box and pickup, I did a carb rebuild, brake rebuild and replaced the steering, suspension and wheels bearings. I have duplicates of all plastics so when we do the bodywork and paint, I'll assess and replace any panels that need replacing.

Cheers,
Andrew

161 - 171 of 171 Posts