Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 750 Ltd with the dry clutch.

I've had the bike for a few years. I bought it as a project as it was sitting in a car wash rotting. It is complete down to the original exhaust,except that the last owner grenaded the clutch,basket, bolts, and magnesium outer cover with the lever.

I tried getting parts when I first got it only to find nothing is available, I can get a new clutch made for about $3000, Ouch!:eek:hmy. I still need to have a cover made so for the time being this is out of the question.

Can some one tell me if there was anything special about that engine other than the dry clutch?. What I'm really getting at is, can I fit a wet clutch engine from a GSXR 750?, probibly a '86, but can I use any other years?

I was thinking of looking on eBay for a doner engine.

Any advice would be appreciated, or value as is, if I just sell it.:sad

Thanks
Nick.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Those clutch parts are extremely rare and EXPENSIVE :eek:hmy

If you are interested in doing an engine swap you have a lot of options. Any oil cooled engine from the GSXR line up through the Katana line up and all the way up to late model Bandits will bolt in. Incuding 750 or 1100/1200 (even including Katana 600's :wacko) Try to get the wire harness and ignition control from the donor bike.

As far as I know there was nothing overly special about the Ltd engine (other than the clutch). My advice would be to hang onto the Ltd engine just in case you do find clutch parts in the future. In the meantime, locate an 1100 engine and make yourself a 7/11.

I'm sure somebody else with far more knowledge than me will reply soon and give you more details, but you do have options.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Regarding the post above - my advice would be to sell me all of the remaining dry clutch parts to fund your new engine. :_biggrin2:

JD

·
Registered
314 Posts
Check with-"fredd" he has dry clutch parts and knowledge also he is great to deal with, I purchased from him in the past.
CAMDAD

·
Registered
247 Posts
If youre going for a swap, talk to Gotgixers. He is parting a bike in the classifieds with a 771 kit. Shipping might not make it the best option, but worth checking into.

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
Soon to be parting a 5000mi 92 750 also.....

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Im pretty sure you can put the wet clutch on it, but maybe im wrong. I cant imagine Suzuki specifically designed the engine around the dry clutch.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Im pretty sure you can put the wet clutch on it, but maybe im wrong. I cant imagine Suzuki specifically designed the engine around the dry clutch.
I suppose that would be possible. You would probably just want to get the entire bottom end of the donor to make life simpler. There are a lot of different parts in there that you would need. I think it would just be easier to swap engines.

750 ltd, I am no expert on engine swaps. There are many people on here who have more knowledge than me. The advice I was given was to try to get the harness and control. You want the control unit because different model years and engine sizes have different redlines. I would assume you want the harness just to eliminate any possible connector problems. I have not swapped an engine myself. I have only gathered some basic knowledge on the subject for future reference.

·
Registered
480 Posts
got the same problem with my limited clutch.
Both baskets are worn (that´s the usual damage).
Been thinking about getting baskets made, but not sure of material.
Seems it is Titanium, extremely hard metal, can´t scratch it.

They are extremely hard to find, and if you find a donor, it has the same problems.

·
Registered
779 Posts
maybe fix the clutch:dunnoseeing how its an ltd and all:scratch
The problem with just fixing it...considering you can even find the parts...is that you end up with the price of another whole bike in a wear item. The plates alone are about $115 for the fibers and $100 for the steels...a piece :wacko Makes it kind of hard to justify a lot use (or hard use) when you know somewhere down the road you're going to have to do it all over again.

No doubt they are cool when they are completely together as Limiteds. My buddy has one. He re-did his clutch several years back. It took months to gather all the parts from around the world, and ended up costing about $3000US. He has barely used the thing since because he's afraid of frying the clutch. He's asked me if I would like to buy it from him. I would love to, but I don't know if I can afford a really cool museum piece that would probably end up just sitting in my living room.

If money is not an object, fix it and ride it like it should be ridden. If money is an object, swap the engine, save your old parts for colectability, and ride it like you just don't care. You will have a really cool bike to use everyday, and still have the collectable pieces at home for the future (when the value gets sooo high you just can't say no :biggrin). That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The problem with just fixing it...considering you can even find the parts...is that you end up with the price of another whole bike in a wear item. The plates alone are about $115 for the fibers and $100 for the steels...a piece :wacko Makes it kind of hard to justify a lot use (or hard use) when you know somewhere down the road you're going to have to do it all over again.

No doubt they are cool when they are completely together as Limiteds. My buddy has one. He re-did his clutch several years back. It took months to gather all the parts from around the world, and ended up costing about $3000US. He has barely used the thing since because he's afraid of frying the clutch. He's asked me if I would like to buy it from him. I would love to, but I don't know if I can afford a really cool museum piece that would probably end up just sitting in my living room.

If money is not an object, fix it and ride it like it should be ridden. If money is an object, swap the engine, save your old parts for colectability, and ride it like you just don't care. You will have a really cool bike to use everyday, and still have the collectable pieces at home for the future (when the value gets sooo high you just can't say no :biggrin). That's my 2 cents.
you don,t relace a mint 59 stingrays manuel for an auto just cause it,s cheaper and you want to drive it.................own something you can afford is my 2cents:cheers

·
Registered
779 Posts
you don,t relace a mint 59 stingrays manuel for an auto just cause it,s cheaper and you want to drive it.................own something you can afford is my 2cents:cheers
Dar, you make a valid point. If you can afford it, fix it. If not...well that's you're own call. Either sell it to some one who can afford it and buy something you can afford to use, or bastardize it and still have your fun with it. I would probably bastardize it...just to cheese off all the "stock nazis" :biggrin Just kidding, but really it all comes down to whatever you think is right for you.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts