21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Excellent progress,can't wait to see the finished project :cheers

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,742 Posts
Andre ( I can't keep track of his screen names) put me in touch with his buddy.....
Don't feel bad. Thanks to ornery forum staff, I can't even keep track of my own screen name anymore

Excellent progress,can't wait to see the finished project :cheers
That's right. You heard me. :chucks

Beyond that, wow. You've been busy Scott. That's some serious attention to detail :thumbup

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I went back and forth, but finally decided on the stock tank. It needs a few modifications...close up the rear, where it meets the seat pan, knee cut outs in the sides and a relocated Daytona style flip up gas cap. I've decided on Honda's 60's race colors, red & silver.
This project has been delayed, because I need to commit to having a CBX completely disassembled in my garage, and some other fun projects seem to have jumped ahead of it. I said the CBX was the last, I didn't have any room for more bikes, especially projects...but the collection gained a '68 750 Norton ex-racer and a '66 Suzuki X-6 250 Hustler, which is evolving into next year's Moto Giro racer.
My painter offered to do the body work and paint in exchange, if I would overhaul the transmission in an old Ducati, He has parts and manuals, so that seems like a fair deal, but that's another project that has to be completed before I get serious again about the CBX, probably this winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I told myself that I wasn't going to get too carried away with the CBX, until I finished my turbo '86 GSXR 1100, which has been sitting on my lift for several years.
I was also fixing up a '69 Honda CM91 Super Cub to flip and I was doing a sympathetic restoration on a customer's '77 Yamaha XT500, so I definitely didn't need another bike spread across the garage floor...but that stupid wide front end on the CBX was bugging me. I decided to correct a few nagging issues. I've been recovering from some nerve damage in my right hand, it was good to be able to putter in the garage.

I was able to find the correct upper and lower tree's on eBay. Some parts are pretty reasonable, stuff like air boxes are ridiculous. I also found some cool cross-drilled rotors and the correct hardware. Early Interceptor calipers are supposed to be a good upgrade, so I'm on the hunt for those. The rims are surprisingly in really nice shape, so other than needing new rubber and bearings, I'm good there. I much prefer looking at it now with a proper front end.

I knew the back of the bike needed some attention, it appears that @14" was hacked off. It also became obvious that the rear shock mounts were poorly re-positioned, and I was a little sad to realize that a couple rear frame rails were heated, bent downwards and welded during the whole Bobber experiment. Again, nothing that can't be repaired. I've spent a lot of time looking at other CBX's and mine to figure out what's been changed.
The bike will get mocked up and then disassembled for powder coating.
Very nice fab work on rear tubes. Did you built a sleeve that inserts inside tube?
Nice Kawi in back ground. What model?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
9 Participants
Jimmyboy
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing