Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got someone close to my house that has a 77 GT 750 in pieces, but complete...Not in that great of a shape, but nothing is really scrap...

He wants about 200$, so its a deal...

My question is this:
What do guys think on a GT restore?

I know its going to cost a bundle in parts to properly restore it, but I haven t seen GTs in years, making it even more attractive to me...
And I m a 2 smoke fan...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
The WB was a neat bike,I had a 75 gt 500,sold it a few months ago.I'm a fan of the H2 myself.

Freddy,you're a resourceful craftsman I bet you would have a riot restoring it...Go for it.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
These are neat bikes. Back in the day-I never thought I'd say that again-I saw several of them racing at Daytona during Bike Week. Privateer efforts, of course, and not in the 200, but they recieved a great deal of attention in the pits. They had a very interesting exhaust note! with their racing expansion chambers. Sounds like a great deal and I see parts for them on e-bay.
Tim

·
Registered
209 Posts
I thought the GT750 engines found a niche in some racing format - I want to say sidecar, but am not sure - that has sustained a support network up to the present or at least recent past.

You might want to do a bit of searching if nobody responds with the exact use I'm trying to think of.

KeS

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im going in there to see with my own eyes saturday PM...
As I heard; Nothing is bad except rear fender...
No handle bars, no title, not stolen, bill of sale with VIN...

Could prbly get it for 150$ ...

I know its going to look a horror show, but will post pics...
I would like that 2 smoke... being the largest 2 stroke production motorcycle engine ? right?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, I use to borrow my friends RZ500 in the days... God I really enjoyed riding it...
I picked up a few dates on that bike, and better; hmmmm... No bragging...lol...
That GT sound is one that makes ALL heads turn...
Talked to my GF; I am allowed another bike (or any parts of it...)
as long as I finish one of them (rideable...lol...) at a time... Text Green Yellow Line Emoticon

Yellow Line Symbol Icon Illustration

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
That GT sound is one that makes ALL heads turn...
Talked to my GF; I am allowed another bike (or any parts of it...)
as long as I finish one of them (rideable...lol...) at a time...

Fredy,
I wish my wife was as ageeable!
Tim

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
fredybender said:
Im going in there to see with my own eyes saturday PM...
As I heard; Nothing is bad except rear fender...
No handle bars, no title, not stolen, bill of sale with VIN...

Could prbly get it for 150$ ...

I know its going to look a horror show, but will post pics...
I would like that 2 smoke... being the largest 2 stroke production motorcycle engine ? right?
Kawi H2 was a750 too,that triple sound is intoxicating

·
Registered
452 Posts
Jeez guy,
I don't know.
Let me be your voice of reason/devils' advocate here.
First the bad news.
It's been awhile, but....
There were only two years that the buff didn't use the exhaust as a chain lubricator (you know I'm right). They always look like the back-end of a Corvair, or a Fiat X9.
If Moto-Guzzie made a 2 stroke 750 the engine would only weigh a few more pounds. the thing is huge and hefty.
Even though, the buff flowed more oil out the exhaust than a Texas stripper well they rotted.
Besides weighing a ton even without 5 gallons of 2 stroke oil in them they will be hard to find, since I recall them being a bit 'chambered' welding up a set at home is out of the question. There's a lot of metal there and connectors -also chrome but covered in burnt petroleum-.
Spoked wheels also well lubricated -black-.
God help you if the gauges/cables are wasted.
Where does one find a rebuild kit for the much acclaimed Suzuki auto injector pump, aka; CCI.
You need a small mountain of head gaskets for when you pull the heads off every 90 days to scrape the headchamber and piston top -that thing under all that greasy ass soot :). I believe the Mikuni's were rather tall for the day, undoubtedly rare. Parts jets/needles....
The throttle cables - even new - had what was called the 'short end' on the carb top (screw-on carb cap/top :<) ). This means be careful on adjustment -check full range of throttle-. If you don't, the short metal end covering the outer plastic cable will hang-up after a full throttle application then release. At the top of the carb, you'll see it if you look. Of course one cylinder only...
Brakes... when cleaned up the brakes are good looking. I can't remember if they were double leading linkage types or not.
They stopped the bike well but that frame and those shocks were even worse than the H-2. Point of fact as I recall the Buff even .... wobbles I guess is the word under hard acceleration. you know...like a Harley only with a good seat.
The forks were at best mediocore and at worse. Useless except to hang the wheel and fender on. depending on your weight and roads traveled the seals are all to ready to weep/leak.
Shocks...rides like a 62' Chrysler New Yorker with a 413ci hemi. Saying it rode like a fair sized cabin cruiser on a calm lake would be a little to kind , but hey, I'm being nice.
I do have to admit the exhaust note was something else. A smooth, burbble/gurgle, idle was always 'hunting' but sounded neat -I still do a fair imitation :<).
Radiator was solid but you gotta remmember they didn't have the aluminum friendly glycol back then and everyone added tap water... You'll have to pull her apart to see all the damage. Severe cases will leech-erode over to the cylinder walls. If so you'd have to mill at a minimum. Which would increse the compression to a place the engine walls, hardware, and it's internal weren't designed for.
But, my God Man! if memory serves... the paint on 77' was the much coveted, and sought after,Candy Pimp Purple tu-tone.
On the upside if you can get her runnin' you can keep her running. Like the 500 Titan, for real. I think the point cover was fairly tight so no leaks/rust but the point lobe did get a little ...ahem..rusty. I never had rectifier problems but that was damn near 30 years ago.
The side stand would sometimes let you down, never could figure that out.
Never park on hot/fresh asphalt.
Lights weren't an issue. But I think the switches and buttons will be toast by now...sorry.
Parts?
Fortuneatly, you see buff's all the time on e-bay - in the others section of Suzuki. Some look great but few are running.
If I had a museum I'd definitely want one on the floor -maybe even running- but basically they are yard art now.
Hell I'm trying to keep my son, Zack's 96' 750 Gixxer up to spec, and even though this is the best Gixxer site I could find there isn't much help for the OLD STYLE , carb'ed bikes and local shop help is LAME.
Even worse, I bought a cherry 92' 1100 GN -shaftie (screw those chains :) )
also carb'ed and NOBODY WORKS ON THEM anymore.
If I was you I'd find a Suzuki 1100/1150 GS or E model for a restore at least they still have after-market stuff.
My 2 cents.
Good luck either way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.