Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im running the 180 GPA (US) rear and I am having traction problems. When the tires are fresh they grip pretty good, but still they slip especially at full lean. Will a dunlop 190 rear help me get more bite? Will I need to do any suspension changes?

I really want to run the 195 slicks, I hear they are the bomb. But one of the races I am running DOT's only.

I did raise the forks 2mm and that gave me a little more traction and helped a lot in my turn in.

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
if you change from a 180 to 190 you will have more traction and will need to lower the rear by about 4mm to 6mm, is this on a 600/750?

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you change from a 180 to 190 you will have more traction and will need to lower the rear by about 4mm to 6mm, is this on a 600/750?
How about I raise the forks more to compensate for the rear lift instead of lowering the rear.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I have had the same problem with the 180 US rear....it is a softer carcass and flexes more than the UK rear.

Last week I had a UK rear and it was better...I was still spinning it up and I know my geometry to correct (GMD sweet numbers)....I added 3 clicks of rebound and it made a ton of difference, but that just masked my problem that my rear spring is too stiff...im going to a 400lb!

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a similar issue with my SV1000. Turned out I needed to use more body and less bike lean because I was going over the edge of the tire.
SV1000 you guys run 160 rears right? Its wierd I have to get off my bike so I dont scrape the pegs and to get some traction. Im to the point of almost elbow dragging lol

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I had a similar issue with my SV1000. Turned out I needed to use more body and less bike lean because I was going over the edge of the tire.
SV1000 you guys run 160 rears right? Its wierd I have to get off my bike so I dont scrape the pegs and to get some traction. Im to the point of almost elbow dragging lol
No. The SV1000 is a 180 rear. Same wheels as the GSXR600. The 650 uses the 160.
It's not wierd to get off to avoid dragging hard parts - that's the right way. If you are dragging hard parts, you are seriously close to the edge!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
anyone notice acceleration differences with the 190? do you loose flickability with the extra rotating mass?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Okay . . . I knew I'd find it. From AOD's RRW article in the Nov. '04 issue, pg. 131:

<font color="yellow"> Handy Guide to Suspension Adjustment:
Bike doesn't have grip:
Check free sag, try softer rear spring, try less low-speed compression damping, lower rear of bike, make sure rider isn't entering the turn too slowly and trying to accelerate out too hard to make up for it, make sure the rider is hanging off the bike. </font>

·
Registered
267 Posts
Im running the 180 GPA (US) rear and I am having traction problems. When the tires are fresh they grip pretty good, but still they slip especially at full lean. Will a dunlop 190 rear help me get more bite? Will I need to do any suspension changes?

I really want to run the 195 slicks, I hear they are the bomb. But one of the races I am running DOT's only.

I did raise the forks 2mm and that gave me a little more traction and helped a lot in my turn in.
What comp[ound are you running? Sounds like yo may have the 640 try the 758.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

What comp[ound are you running? Sounds like yo may have the 640 try the 758.
I am just running regular 208 gpa I didnt know they offered a harder or softer compounds? I know the slicks they offer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts