Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The search function hasn't turned up much in the last 1 hour of searching. I'm debating on which size tire to order (Powers).

The basic understanding is that:

The 180/55 makes a bike steer quicker. It is also a bit taller which is why it makes a bike steer quicker. Also has more rubber on the sides. Less likely to roll off of the edges. Also typically $25 cheaper than the bigger 190/55. Minuses - Middle wears out quicker. Slight decrease in wheelieablity due to the slightly raised rear? Bike more twitchy and prone to tankslappers. Ideal for track days or canyon carving.

The 190/50 has a bigger contact patch in the middle and should last longer for commuting and be more stable for extended wheelies. More contact patch in rain or conditions where one can't lean over very far. Bike less prone to drifting and will feel more stable going straight. Minuses - $25 more, doesn't turn as quickly as the 180/55, could roll off of the edges if you're elbow-dragging, and weights more.

Did I get everything right? if not, what are the misconceptions that should be cleared up? Anything else that should also be taken into consideration?

Finally, which size should I get for a Turbo 1K2? Planning to try it out on a track day...
It's my 130 miles a day commuter too. I just can't seem to decide.

-Wicked

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
People who think they are smarter than the manufacturers fit 180s to their 1000s.
i dont think thats fair bro....
people change the rear tire out to modify the bikes handling characteristics.....
same concept as when you mod a motor with an aftermarket exhaust.....
just my opinion though

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
The basic understanding is that:

The 180/55 makes a bike steer quicker. It is also a bit taller which is why it makes a bike steer quicker. Also has more rubber on the sides. Less likely to roll off of the edges. Also typically $25 cheaper than the bigger 190/55. Minuses - Middle wears out quicker. Slight decrease in wheelieablity due to the slightly raised rear? Bike more twitchy and prone to tankslappers. Ideal for track days or canyon carving.

The 190/50 has a bigger contact patch in the middle and should last longer for commuting and be more stable for extended wheelies. More contact patch in rain or conditions where one can't lean over very far. Bike less prone to drifting and will feel more stable going straight. Minuses - $25 more, doesn't turn as quickly as the 180/55, could roll off of the edges if you're elbow-dragging, and weights more.

Did I get everything right? if not, what are the misconceptions that should be cleared up? Anything else that should also be taken into consideration?

Finally, which size should I get for a Turbo 1K2? Planning to try it out on a track day...
It's my 130 miles a day commuter too. I just can't seem to decide.

-Wicked
first of all you have to clarify if your talking about a 180 race tire to a 190 street tire, which is what it sounds like your comparing which is like comparing apples to oranges.

a 190 street tire will have the same basic profile as a 180 street tire, although when you put a 180 on a 6 inch rim it actually flattens the tire out even more giving less contact patch while leaned over (which is certainly more critical). a 180 race tire will offer more contact patch while leaned over than a 190 street tire because that is how it is designed. a 180 race tire will have the middle wear out faster because it is a softer compound tire and because there is less contact patch in the middle to help keep the bike planted when accelerating hard. a 180 race tire will steer quicker because of its design. a 190 race tire will steer quicker than a 190 street tire because of its design. but a 180 will steer quicker than a 190 on the right size rim. also, the fact that you have less rotating mass with a 180 makes a difference in turning and accelerating too (which is why some people run a 180 on the 1000). the wheelie factor isnt even relevant because you can make the bike wheelie no problem anyhow.. i have run wheelies up to a mile on a 180 race tire with no issues plenty of times. and as always you will have to adjust your suspension ride heights with a change of tire (which you should always do anyhow) so that is a moot point also. i think i covered most of your points.

bottom line is this.. a 180 race tire will turn quicker than a 180 street, 190 street and 190 race, etc..

a 190 race tire will turn quicker than a 190 street tire.

the 190 street tire offers a greater contact patch at full lean and straight up than a 180 street tire, but weighs a bit more and is more expensive.

if you want a tire to get a lot of miles out of stay with a street tire, if you want all out performance go with a race tire, if you want something in between i hear the pirelli diablo corsas are where its at..

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
I have a 190 on my K5 and it handles suh-weet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I swapped 180 race compounds fro the OEM 190's on previous bikes. They do seem to transition a bit better which I liked, but since my last name isn't Mladin I doubt I would ever exploit either the 180 or 190.

·
Registered
919 Posts
i HATE the fact that all we can get stock on our bikes (k3/k4/k5 1000s) is a shitty 190... i first discovered the light (read: greatness of 180 rears on liter bikes) with my 929 - it just turns so much faster and stays leaned over in the corners. completely eliminated all the handling advantages of a 600 (which was important 5 yrs ago)

when i bought my k4, put a set of pirelli diablo corsas on my (with a 180 rear) as soon as i could. I rode the twisties down here a few times with the 190 stock bridgestones, and tried to tell myself the reason the bike SUCKED in the corners was because of the stock tires - which turned out to be true. I'm not sure how the k5 rides in the corners with a 190 (im sure its better than the k4), but for all u k1-k4 owners thinkin about a new rear, try a 180 pilot power/diablo corsa/mezler m1 (in that order)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts