Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
18" Tires - what\'s the best?

Sadly, I cannot yet afford to swap my 86 1100's wheels to 17s. More sadly, I need new tires like NOW
. So then, for those out there who still run 18s, what is the best sport tire that will fit? I don't want to get stuck with a tire designed for high mileage touring since my bike is mainly for short runs in the twisties with an occasional highway jaunt. Plus the tires really only have to last one season since the 17s swap is happening this winter

Any comments are appreciated except those that want me to get off my wallet and go with 17s now!

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Re: 18" Tires - what\'s the best?

back in the day, the metzeler me33 comp k front and me1 comp k rear were a very popular combo. i've also heard good things about avon am23's.

·
Banned
11,514 Posts

I am going to try the Metzler MEZ4

sure they say Sport/Touring, but I imagine they are a heck of a lot better than what the OEM tire of the day was like

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Originally posted by jeff:
back in the day, the metzeler me33 comp k front and me1 comp k rear were a very popular combo. i've also heard good things about avon am23's.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, the Metzeler combo is what I used to run on my Ninja 900 ages ago. I'll have to see if they still make em.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

I had an `86 gixxer when it was new, and the Metzeler's worked very well on it... *much* better than the Bridgestone crap that came OEM... I didn't even *like* the bike til I got rid of the Bridgestones, and it was like, BAM! completely different bike. ME33 front and ME99 rear was the stuff back then... I think the CompK tires came along in `87 or so... The way I remember that bike on the Metzeler's, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Go with the metzeler's, I never had a problem with the pair I had.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts

I was running Dunlop K591's on my GPZ and the gixxer before I went 17". I know that tire has been discontinued but I know it was replaced. I don't happen to know what the new model is called.

I've heard good things about the Metzlers too.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

fortunately, metzeler still makes the older tires.....discountmotorcycletire.com seems to have a fair selection of them (no me33 comp k's in 18" sizes, though).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts