Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed to 17" wheels and a '94 750 front end last summer. I noticed right away that the bike sits almost upright when on the side stand...so much so it looks like it could tip over the other way. I have a second kickstand I got on ebay pretty cheap, but before I cut & weld it to the length I need could I be overlooking anything? Have any of you guys swapped wheels and run into this issue?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
I changed to 17" wheels and a '94 750 front end last summer. I noticed right away that the bike sits almost upright when on the side stand...so much so it looks like it could tip over the other way. I have a second kickstand I got on ebay pretty cheap, but before I cut & weld it to the length I need could I be overlooking anything? Have any of you guys swapped wheels and run into this issue?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I never swapped wheels (my `89 came with 17") but I did have the *opposite* problem... once I got the rear pre-load where I wanted it, the sidestand is *almost* too short. Do you know that your ride-height is where you want it? I was just thinking that you may run into ground-clearance probs... it'd suck to go through the trouble to shorten your sidestand only to find out later that you hafta raise the back end anyway.

·
Registered
178 Posts
since you changed out your front end, maybe the front sits lower now? i lowered my bike for drag racing, (raising the forks in the triple clamps, lowering links for the rear) so i had to modify my kick stand. also, going from 18" wheels to 17" wheels lowered your bike maybe a 1/2"?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Cant you swap an 88-90 750 side stand on there ... I've never done it but i heard that what you do when you swap rims on the old gixxers .... might want to try it first before you through tthe trouble of cutting and welding ...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have 2 '86 gixxers and both of them have 17" wheels. On one of them the previous owner put on a shorter kickstand from a different year (not sure which year); on the other one I cut 1/2" from the kickstand and had it re-welded. They both work fine.

Yancy

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I don't seem to have that problem. I have the 17" wheels but my stock kickstand seems too short.
I would try finding a cheap kickstand off a bike with 17" wheels. I guess that would be an 88 or 89. Just don't let that bike fall over trying to figure it out

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey simon had exatly the same poblem on my 86 but cannot remember exactly how much I cut off the side stand but memory says about an inch and that was 2 years a go so I dont think I will have to worry about it breaking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Had the same problem on my '86 with '91 wheels and forks. The '91 stand made it even worse.
I've bend the original kickstand of the '86 a little 'outwards' and it works just fine. Although it's still a bit upright it won't fall over.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Hey Simon if the 88-89 style will work I will trade you. I have a spare.
Bones

·
Registered
434 Posts
Simon I messured my 86 its 7 3/4" from the heel of the kickstand where it touches the ground to the center of the pivot bolt.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Simon I have a different swingarm dogbone combination than yours. Just talked with computrack and am probably going to try some shorter dogbones to steepen the swingarm angle and that may effect the sidestand, the current angle on mine might be a bit shallower than stock, when I get it changed I will post if the sidestand length is too short.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my 86 and the 94 blue forks from the 750
the 1100 USD forks are longer, ans with those there should be no problem.
I still use the original kickstand and just try to park it uphill wherever I go.
I have not had it fall over yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts