Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just FWIW here's some info for you oil-cooled fans...

I put a few pulls on my 1216 Bandit at Lee's today... was 2 to 3 steps too fat in main jet (temp was 103°F in the dyno cell) but still averaged 166.8rwhp (@10.5krpm) and 95.3ft-lbs (@ 7800rpm) for the series... it plainly has another 6 - 8 horses left in it with a couple of minor tweaks (and a cooler day).

Specs are 1216cc (JE pistons) at about 12.5:1CR... Lazer Level III slingshot head, 30mm intakes... RS38's pulling through K&N RU2922's... WebCam #236 intake, Yosh StII exhaust cams, set at IO 20°BTDC EC 18°ATDC (appx 103i/107e)... Holeshot stepped header http://www.holeshot.com/new/bandit/bndt_header.shtml and muffler... 35° total timing on the Dyna2k... VP MR1 in the tank.

Figures I finally get it running half-way decent just before it comes apart again
....don't take any shit from the 'busa drivers, put one of these together and you'll be shoulder-to-shoulder with 'em til the aerodynamics seal your Fate...

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hate to nit-pick, but you've either got two different horsepower curves there, or you've got a torque curve that's skewed rpm-wise out of alignment with the hp curve. I'm hoping it's the former, because if it's not, that's one heck of a steep torque curve. But, either way, they need to cross each other at 5252 rpm if they're aligned to the same rpm scale.
I'm not doubting your actual numbers at all. I'd just bet the dyno operator didn't clear all the previous pulls off the screen before he hit "print", so you got your pull and someone else's that was overlayed.

I bet that's one Wheelie-Happy Machine.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i think the torque scale is just off.....if you look at the torque and horsepower values at 5252rpm, they're equal (about 75), which is correct.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
lee's dyno numbers have been known to be alittle funny if you know what i mean...not saying anything bad about him but his dynon has a reputation of being alittle happy with the numbers...

dwayne

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beeno- look again... as Jeff noted, the values are correct if you know what to look for.

Dunno, Dwayne... I've heard the same, but have been buying dyno time from his shop for several years and have no complaints... actually there have been several times when the results were lower than I'd hoped/expected to see

When the bike was at 1216 x 11:1 with GSXR cams, the Holeshot system, and 38mm flatslides it pulled 150.4... certainly that seems a realistic number; same dynamometer, same operator. Prior to that it recorded 135rwhp at 1157 x 11:1 with GSXR cams, 38mm CV's, and a V&H 4:1... again, a believable number- same shop.

I've still got several gallons of MR1 left... you guys have a dyno at your place? ...actually I'm wondering if I can pull another couple of horses by backing out some main jet... it was pretty fat that day.

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll try to learn what to look for on dyno charts. I still say that's one heck of a strong motor and that I don't doubt the numbers at all.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Ed, don't have a dyno yet...we will be going to the dealer show in febuary to pick one up...the new shop is complete all the way to the wiring of the lights and installing the ac unit...this is/was the main reason why we didn't buy a dyno last year at the show...whenyou get time be sure to ride down and check it out...

the reason i made the statement about lee was he has bragged about the hp that he makes and have posted dyno charts but when it's time to run the mph at the track it never pans out for him...wasn't trying to flame him at all...he's a damn good mechanic and we respect his work...

thanks,
dwayne

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Originally posted by Beeno:
I'll try to learn what to look for on dyno charts. I still say that's one heck of a strong motor and that I don't doubt the numbers at all.

Cheers.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Great Sig!!!
I used to have a '92 955, what a great bike. I still miss it.

Get out there and give them 954's hell!!

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by Beeno:
I'll try to learn what to look for on dyno charts.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the mathematical relationship between horsepower and torque is:

horsepower = torque * rpm / 5252

(for torque in ft-lbs only)

so from this equation we can see that:

- horsepower will always be equal to torque at 5252 rpm (if the engine revs that high)

- below 5252 rpm, an engine will always make more torque than horsepower

- above 5252 rpm, an engine will always make more horsepower than torque

- we can always derive torque given horsepower, and horsepower given torque, at a given rpm

if you are given a dyno chart and its values do not hold up to all of the above criteria, it is incorrect.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5252 rpm (if the engine revs that high)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That pretty much rules out the Harley contingent

Beeno, an apology is in order... my reply to you came out a lot snottier than was intended; sorry about that.

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ed,
Well thank you. That was very nice of you to say. Try to keep that thing from running out from under you.

Cheers, and a good weekend to ya.

·
Registered
398 Posts
man..JoeyPsycho says his 1216 makes "240hp" with no juice all muscle..you got robbed! bwahahahaha. 170hp is a good amount for a 1216 as most 1340s are around 190hp that I have seen..im sure there are more powerful out there. God I love oil cooled engines!

·
Registered
181 Posts
gsxr1198 - With 12.5:1 CR, can you tell me what the ignition timing before TDC are you running at idle? Also what type of fuel are you running?

Reason I'm asking is, I've got a 99 750 engine with 13:1 compression, and stock timing is 4degress before TDC at idle. It will run fine on NUTEC racefuel, but I want to run it on 93-94 octane pump fuel. I know I need to retard the ignition a few degrees, and am hoping that 4 degrees retardation will do the trick.

If you can give me any info/pointer let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bubba,

I'm set up for 35° total on the Dyna2000 (DDK3-3 model)... judging by the manual (online at http://www.dynaonline.com/english/instruct/DDK3-3.pdf , see page 11, I run Curve #2) I'd guess that I'm running somewhere in the range of 16° - 18° of spark lead at idle (±1300rpm).

The dyno series shown was run on VP MR1. I normally run the bike on pump 93; it'll exhibit traces of knock if I lug it (or let it get cooking in traffic) but generally it's content on unleaded fuel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts