Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey im new to the sport and i am gun collecting horny.

just purchased a .45acp springfield xd tactical full size stainless, and not long ago a 9mm browning hi-power markIII.

im wanting to add to my collection a 12 gauge.. for home protection, t arget shooting, and possible bird hunting...

looking for some reccomendations and the 101 on the 12 gauge.
as far as pros cons vs. the pump, semi-auto, lever action, break action...... i would imagine that pump would be the "funnest"....

brands/price/best bang for buck...

and a little confused on shells as far as "ought" buck goes...

ive saw a mossburg i beleive which seems to be a common brand that had an interchangeable 12/20 gauge barrel full camoed... it was 479? at walmart...

just looking to add to my collection, and home protection/target shooting/skeet/bird hunting....

all thoughts appreciated, i am new to long guns, other than a .177 bb gun:)

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
I'd say you'll get the most versatility out of a 12ga pump. It gets down to religious debate as to which is preferred, Remington or Mossberg. They're both fine weapons, although I hear the Mossberg's quality has gone down some on the newer ones. This is hearsay, because I haven't looked to see it for myself.

I use Remington's at work, so the choice was obvious for my personal gun, get a Remington because I'm used to them. Not that the Mossy is very different to operate, but still.

There's a load of parts out there for both the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500. You could easily make my same pump shotgun setup out of a Mossberg. Winchester and Benelli make good shotguns as well.

It started off as a plain old Remington 870 Express synthetic, with a standard Rem-choke 18" vent rib barrel. It's good to go for field use this way. Pick up some different chokes for about $25 each, and it can handle anything in the field, from clays to birds to deer.

While that's a very practical weapon for the field, it's more than a bit cumbersome for the tight confines of the urban jungle it spends most of it's time in.

So I ordered up a replacement barrel at 18" long. Everything else has been out of stock online for a while, so I "settled" for the Mossberg built "tactical" barrel that has a serrated breaching standoff.

It makes a big difference in length to take 10" off the barrel.

It'd do just fine for home defense like that, but just for the hell of it, I decided on a Speedfeed tactical stock.

With two screwdrivers and 5-10 minutes, I can easily swap back to the standard sporting stock and field barrel if I want to go to the trap range or out in the woods to hunt.

·
Who Knows...Ask Who
1,714 Posts
I would defiantly stay with Remington or a Mossberg for the after market support. If you want to empty your wallet, then get a Bennelli :yumyum If you plan on doing bird hunting, stay away from a purpose built home defense gun. You can always add a different barrel as Duke pointed out as well as a magazine extension for home defense duties.

·
Premium Member
6,756 Posts
I have 5 different shotguns my fav and the one I use the most is my Benelli SBE II, that would be and is my choice for bird hunting. It's very light and super easy to clean, it has never jammed or let me down yet.

For home defence I'd go with a pump over a semi auto, when it comes to protecting your home and family you don't want the chance of a stove pipe to happen, plus the sound of cocking a 12ga pump will send alot of home intruders running.

If 2 differnt guns are out of the question go with a pump and a couple of barrels that way you'll have a good home defence choice, but if you need it for more hunting and play then home defence I'd choose the semi auto.

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
Mossberg, great price, goes bang every time

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I have 5 different shotguns my fav and the one I use the most is my Benelli SBE II, that would be and is my choice for bird hunting. It's very light and super easy to clean, it has never jammed or let me down yet.

For home defence I'd go with a pump over a semi auto, when it comes to protecting your home and family you don't want the chance of a stove pipe to happen, plus the sound of cocking a 12ga pump will send alot of home intruders running.

If 2 differnt guns are out of the question go with a pump and a couple of barrels that way you'll have a good home defence choice, but if you need it for more hunting and play then home defence I'd choose the semi auto.
I never will forget the time I went over to my dads house to go hunting and as I walked in he was cleaning his shotgun and racked it. Even knowing it was him and he would never fire on me I still froze. Didnt see him but heard it.

Got to love or fear that sound at 4 am in the morning. :lmao

·
Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance and
5,533 Posts
Also, just because the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are the top two choices in 12 gauge pumps....that doesn't mean they'll work the best for you. I have shot both of those guns and they are both awesome. My dad has an 870 that he never uses, so I'm hanging onto it and I use it whenever I want as long as I take care of it. More often than not, though, when I'm going to the range I'll pick up my Ithica Model 37 over the 870. Just out of personal preference.

I have limited experience with the Mossberg 500 but I've used the Remington and Ithica quite a lot so I can give you some comparison between the two:

Remington 870 (Wingmaster model) - Very smooth, solid pump action, probably the smoothest I've used. I have used entry level 870s though, and they are not quite as smooth. Fairly reliable gun, but a pain in the ass to take apart and put back together, especially if it jams on you in the field (hunting). I've only had this 870 jam twice on me, and I got lucky because all I had to do was remove the barrel and remove the shell.

Ithica Model 37 - Also very smooth, but the action seems a bit "loose". This also might be because this gun (when checking the serial number) was produced in 1949....60 years of use can sometimes do that to a gun. From reading on the Ithica, it was designed for heavier rounds so when using bird/target shells sometimes it has difficulty chambering the next round from the magazine...but I don't know if I'd really consider it a jam or not. Other than that, has never jammed on me once. It is a very, very easy gun to disassemble and clean. Another nice thing about the Ithica is the bottom ejection.

The Browning BPS, although I've never used one, is supposed to be very similar to the Ithica as well.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,126 Posts
I've had a 12-gauge Mossberg Maverick 88 pump action for about 10 years. It's a budget gun but very durable and the fit and finish is good. Have shot a lot with it, including hunting in heavy rain and it has never let me down, not a single jam :) There is a good aftermarket for it too since it shares barrels, stocks and some other parts with the Mossberg 500s.

As for size - forget about the 20 gauge unless you want a really light gun. 12 gauge is so versatile, you can go from light loads with the recoil of a 20 gauge to some really heavy, really destructive ones :)

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
A remington 870 will never fail you. You just need to learn to take it apart and clean it thoroughly every once and awhile. I believe you should get a pump for your first shotgun and then get a semi auto.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I've got a remington 870 and I really like it. That being said, I'd prolly get the 500 if I had to do it all over again. I like the safety on the top (as on the 500), the one on the remington can be a little hard to feel/disengage with it's location to the trigger and stock. Also, I like the dual extractors on the 500 (not that I've ever had a failure with 870...but it's peace of mind).

These may help you out in your decision:

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
A remington 870 will never fail you. You just need to learn to take it apart and clean it thoroughly every once and awhile. I believe you should get a pump for your first shotgun and then get a semi auto.
I have been shooting for well over 30 years and to this day I will take a pump over a semi anytime for home use. Its not a matter of it being your first or not. It comes down to things that can go wrong. A pump will have less of a chance of a jam then a semi so thats what I feel I will bank my life on. IMHO

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
I cant say that ive shot for 30 years because im not even that old. but personal opinion is the remington 870. Shot one for 6 or 7 years now and love it! Never had it jam once since.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Well im older then 30, but when you grow up with a Ranger for a father you learn skills even at a young age. When it comes to speed and reliability, I will take reliability any given day. When in most cases your only going to make one shot when it comes to home defense.

When it comes down to CQC make first shot count, rack a round if you need it but the spray and pray will not work. And from what iv seen that happens alot more with a semi then a pump. IMHO

·
Who Knows...Ask Who
1,714 Posts
Well im older then 30... When it comes to speed and reliability, I will take reliability any given day. When in most cases your only going to make one shot when it comes to home defense.

When it comes down to CQC make first shot count, rack a round if you need it but the spray and pray will not work. And from what iv seen that happens alot more with a semi then a pump. IMHO
I would agree.

A simi-Auto is also harder to keep on target when flapping at the trigger in a panic. If the first shot is not on target, the rest will never get there unless you settle down. Yes, you can miss with a shotgun up close and personal. Also a pump will avoid overzealous firing into unintended objects, ie family members, your big screen TV and other what nots

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
25,271 Posts
The misinformation in this thread is astounding.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah im really wantin the pump action now 12 gauge for sure, just dono what brand/model.

is there any advantages over the pistol grip vs. the full stock?

anyone have any double barrels? lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
17 Participants
71Dragtruck
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing