Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if there was anything other that wiring a toggle switch to my fan to keep it from heating up quickly????? Bobbychet said there was a thermostat mod i could do, and to start this post to see if anyone remembered how to do it???

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
NO this was a mod drilling out the hole in the thermostat just a little bigger to allow for water passage. I remember not to drill it too big though like 1/8 drill size does this sound right out there?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
96gsxr1100 has the thermostat mod listed on his "signature" of theings done to his bike!

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
I wish I saved the link from awhile back with the web page. The mod I read about used a thermostat bought at Napa/Pep Boys that was for some model of car. It would fit perfectly in the stock Suzuki thermo housing, and it opened at a lower temp to keep the bike cooler. I'll troll around looking for the site.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Two years ago I replaced the stock thermostat with a Stant 13849 384 (195 degree) from local parts store. You have to drill one 1/8 inch hole at 12 o,clock. This lets the bike warm up faster because the stock thermo has 5 of these holes.

This year I put in a Prestone thermo part number 357-180 degree. Bike warms up fast and then runs around 190. It will still get hot in stop and go traffic but thats why I wired the fan to come on with the horn button.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how did you wire it to the horn.......doennt the horn only work while the button is held down???

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
think he was talking shit Bobby?? maybe he's a electronic type guy and reworked the whole switch.......lol

·
Registered
423 Posts
I hold the button in when I want the fan to run. I could probably wire in a micro switch but I find holding in the horn button keeps the road rage down.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
The previous owner put a switch on the right side between the fairing and frame/gas tank mounted on the black engine cover fairing so it's right above the radiator cap. It is a perfect place and the switch he used is the type that you can unplug the wires to remove the fairing and plug back in when reinstalling. I don't know what the switch was wired to but I intend to wire it to the fan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts