Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm out of ideas on my `89 1100... I want to keep my fairings, and I do *not* have the money to spend on CF bodywork or titanium header... I've replaced the exhaust with a Hindle, removed the steel subframe, passenger footpeg brackets, most of the exhaust brackets, and fabb'd new brackets out of aluminum for signal lights/exhaust can. I also replaced the stock mirrors which weighed a ton. Are the "straight-spoke" wheels signifigantly lighter than the twisted-spoke style? I do *not* wanna go with fragile aftermarket wheels - the roads up here are far too rough and pothole-filled. Is there anywhere else I can remove/replace parts to get more weight off without breaking the piggy-bank on unobtanium/titanium? Anyone make fiberglass fuel tanks? What else can I do short of removing bodywork? Is there a lighter battery I can use? I know they make dry-cell batteries for the car-dudes, but those weigh as much as a plain wet-cell bike battery. Any other ideas? Anyone?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Starter, starter clutch, alternator, shaved oil pump gear, replace battery with r/c 10 cell, Drill out break stay, Remove all switches and half of the wire harness, remove all lights and r/v mirrors, spedo, infact the hole dash except tach. any plastic other than fairing like air intake stuff. Air box and anything that does not make it run. I got mine down to 325 lbs.

With that said, pretty much if you don't do it all don't start, and beleve me it is not worth the hastle. Save your money and buy either old or new beacuse everything is lighter then what you have.

·
Registered
316 Posts
FastCat-
I don't think that you will want to do this but I removed one rotor, caliper, the rubber hoses and tee and replaced them with one stainless line from the master cylinder to the caliper. It slows the bike well from 140+ at the strip but it doesn't have the feel for aggressive street riding.

I beleive that some one made aluminum tanks for our bikes at some point but have not been able to find one.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything else. My bike is going on a diet again as well. It's down to 480lbs but I know I can get some more off.

-Dave

·
Registered
461 Posts
do you take passnegers?
how about removing the rear seat, pegs and brakets, and getting an aftermarket tailsection.
drilling out unnecessary stuff(rear brake lever), Look for an 89 GSXR-RR aluminum tank(very rare).
swap to aftermarket bodywork(lighter, but lower quality).

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Ooook, here we go...I told you you were going to want to make it lighter....
Keeping the body work is easy, take it off and put it in the garage

SharSkinz makes the best quality aftermarket body work I have seen, it is very light as well.
That would save you a few pounds, front calipers from a SRAD generation gsxr will bolt right on, go for the 4 pots off the SRAD 600, EBC prolite rotors, AirShit makes a fiberglass fuel tank, but the quality is questionable...PM wheels are signifigantly lighter than stock oiler wheels,(BBWATERCOOL can hook you up) switch to a CBR F2\3\4 battery, hack up the battery box, re-positon the igniter, carbon mirrors from LPUSA, Hindle is the lightest exhaust you can get. Fab a carbon fiber hanger, out off carbon sheet stock. Kevlar brake lines, lighten the rear rotor(about 75 bux), after market clip-ons are lighter than stock...
do you want me to keep going...
drop me an email
-Karl

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I guess once you start to modify your bike you will never stop. It'll never be finished. Trust me I'm in this faze.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

Yosh: Airbox has been gone. Will the NiCad, R/C batteries live with the alternator? Next mod is to remove the stock speedo and cable and replace it with a BC-800. It's more in the interest of accuracy and easy-to-read but it'll save a few ounces, I'm sure. As for the rest... that'd be great if it was a "weekend warrior" kinda ride... but I do 300-500 mile days and also in-town "go to the bank, post-office, and "pick up some coffee on your way home, honey" kindsa rides too... 325lbs is impressive; I'm not criticizing you... and it would be great on my bike too... but not if I hafta bump-start it and ride in daylight-only... ...as for getting something else... I thought the water-heaters were heavier? in any case, no way, no how... I'm absolutely *addicted* to that 1127.

Oilcooler: again, great idea, but I consider the OEM brakes to be just "adequate" as-is... I'd actually like it if they were a bit more stout for the way I ride it... I saw an aluminum tank on eBay once, but it was silly-expensive, and I *think* it had a few dents in it too.

Karl: The passenger-stuff went away along with misc. brackets when I put the Hindle on. The cardboard box that I stored that crap in is pretty heavy.

KJ1: Are the SRAD calipers any lighter than my 4-pot Nissins? I read on another board that the Yamaha one-piece calipers (with the blue centers) are *very* light and work *very* well... any thoughts about that? (I'll pretend it's not Yamaha stuff) ...oh, hang it... I'll email ya.

Yosh: of *course* it's never-ending... if I wanted an end to it, I'd go buy a 2003 model and be like every other joe(joanne?) rocket out there.
oldskool ROOLZ! (even if they can stand to lose a few pounds)

I don't mean to sound ungrateful at all for everyone's suggestions... keep `em coming, I can use all the brainstorming help I can get, even if it is a bit far-out. I went and did some serious miles and corner-carving last weekend, and on the way home, about halfway through hwy99 (insanely twisty road near Mt. St. Helen's) I just didn't have any strength/stamina left to toss the beast around anymore... I hadda just kick back and slow down... I even waved a VFR and an old FJ (that was dragging pegs along the way) past me because I just couldn't keep gassing it up anymore. I still want to do 500-mile days on the road, but I'd like it if it didn't beat me into submission til I got closer to home. I do *not* want to go to the USD forks (yet more weight) but do ya'all think sending the forks off to racetech or similar would help me out here? I've already put myself on a diet and I do a little bit of yoga to help me with my lower-back problems... but last weekend, it was my arms and legs that just turned to lead too soon. I can't help but think that shaving more weight off (the bike) will help me. Maybe I'm just getting old or something. (pout)

·
Registered
178 Posts
hey fastcat, i know you probably don't still have the center stand, but there is a bracket that holds the stand on. have you removed the bracket? it just has 2 bolts that attaches to the bottom of the frame. i removed mine, and the bracket and bolts weighed about 1-1/2 pounds! thats a lot for just one little bracket!

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
this likely isn't going to help at all, but....

as others have said, once you've decided you want to shave weight, you really need to go all the way. after the usual suspects (e.g. exhaust), the only thing left is to shave small amounts of weight from a lot of places....go far enough, and you'll have your weight savings. you'll either reach your goal, or you'll run out of money or patience.

have you considered getting another, smaller bike, like say an sv650?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fastcat,
I know what you are saying regarding the twisties getting you tired and such pushing the beast around. One of the things that I did to help with fatigue was to start weight training. I started last year before snowmobile season in the midwest and it made a huge difference in the winter sports. People I rode sleds with were coming up and saying man your riding that thing so fast this year, but I really was just not fatiguing as fast as they were. I have not had the comparison on the bike as most of the guys I ride with don't push it too much and in IL there aren't that many twisties close by.

·
Registered
360 Posts
No the r/c style battery pack cannot be used with the alternator. It will overcharge and explode. I put the starter/alternator back on and went back to a regular battery. Too much trouble. But the starter clutch that made the most difference.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by cide:
hey fastcat, i know you probably don't still have the center stand, but there is a bracket that holds the stand on. have you removed the bracket? it just has 2 bolts that attaches to the bottom of the frame. i removed mine, and the bracket and bolts weighed about 1-1/2 pounds! thats a lot for just one little bracket!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mine never had a centerstand... there was a bracket like you describe though, it was part of the OEM exhaust; it's in a cardboard box, along with several other steel brackets.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Leave that bike alone, add a turbo and you will never ask for another thing again! It is the most power gain you will ever see, except may be some NOS. Other than that, I know you are skinny enough already,but....................!!!!

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
There is a set of PM wheels on e-bay now. Do not know the link because I'm to lazy to go back over and look. They make the world of difference. You should not have any trouble with the put holes just ride around them instead of into them...

The 95 750 wheels are about 5lbs lighter (total) than the twisted spokes. Swisscheese the brake stay and rear part of your subframe, You should also replace all the cover bolts with Alum ones. I have a Ti front and rear axle and swingarm pivot (300ea) shaved 5lbs but expensive. Tt rotor bolts, lightened rear rotor (Ti rear rotor Yoyodyne is 300) Ti studs and alum nuts for the rear sproket. Rearsets (my Yosh ones weighed 2.5lbs less). When you rebuild the calipers you can have Yoydyne make Ti pistons for them (1.5lbs). It is neverending.
It is easier for me to lose 20lbs than it is to shave it from my bike!
Bones

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Oh yeah a 750 frame is 7lbs lighter than a 1100 frame (88 750 vs 89 1100) I know because I weighed them!
Bones

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by yanc:
FastCat,

You can drop a few pounds by removing all of the unnecessary brackets, parts, wires, etc. as mentioned by other posters, which isn't all that noticible because they are sprung weight. Also, you need to be careful about replacing the stock steel brackets with aluminum ones, because aluminum fatigues easily and can crack. As for removing 1 brake caliper/rotor, alternator, etc., it's good for (drag) racing, but not for everyday riding.

The biggest noticible weight reduction is in the wheels, if you are willing to spend the $1500 for a set... I wouldn't bother with the titanium/aluminum bolts/nuts, because for $2000 worth of bolts/nuts/axles you probably only save a few pounds.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, if I do anything with the wheels, I'll go to the later-model "straight-spoke" Suzuki ones... the roads here *really* are quite bad in spots, and I already bent one of my original wheels.

Please don't be offended, but what kind of shape are you in? If you can hit the gym regularly and shed a few pounds I believe that would make a lot more difference than spending the time, money and effort to drop the same amount of weight from your bike.

Yancy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...No offense taken. I mentioned it before, I have lower back problems, and last winter I gained a few lbs because of a pinched sciatic nerve that kept me inactive for a while... I'm down to 155lbs now at 5'9" ... I've got 10 more to go to be at my "target weight". I think I need to work on stamina stuff though, not so much weight-loss at this point... quitting smoking wouldn't hurt me either, I'm sure ...but then we go back into the weight-gain mode
I can't win.

As for the aluminum-bracket stuff... the things that are attached with aluminum now are the exhaust can, the rear side panels, the signal lights, and license-plate. Not that I *want* to lose any of those things... but nothing life-threatening if I do. I got rid of all the steel subframe and passenger footpeg brackets and fasteners.

[ 07-10-2002, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
Oh yeah a 750 frame is 7lbs lighter than a 1100 frame (88 750 vs 89 1100) I know because I weighed them!
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Frame-swap is more involved than I wanna get into. What about just the 750 swingarm? Is that lighter than the 1100 piece (I know it's a little shorter). I also heard that the `88 and `89 750 heads are a good swap for my motor to bump up the compression. Is that a weight-saving measure too?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
1994 750 swing arm is 13lbs...
1992 gsxr 1100 swing arm 21lbs...
-Karl...
ps did ya get my email...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts