Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1100 \'88 PIPE

In switching the 750 for the 1052, I found the old yosh header won't fit.
What's the suggestion for a racing pipe? HINDLE?
Byron

saved

[ 10-21-2002, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Simon Orttan ]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Re: 1100 \'88 PIPE

hmmm, back then i'm not even sure hindle was around, and if they were, they weren't known for good pipes (as they are now). back then everybody used to run yoshs and v&h pipes. exhaust design wasn't as advanced then as it is now, so the majority of the pipes that made good power back then were loud as freakin' hell cuz they were barely muffled. overall quality wasn't as good back then, either, mild steel was the norm, and would rust to shit in a year or two.

at any rate, the yosh duplex for those bikes was pretty good, but they may be out of production now.
you might want to give micron a call, they still make a wide range of exhausts for older bikes.
d&d was also fairly popular then, too.

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com

http://www.micronexhausts.com

http://www.danddexhaust.com/

[This message has been edited by jeff (edited 01-02-2001).]

·
Registered
398 Posts

Yes Hindle was around..had one on my bike (87) and looked good and sounded great. Only thing that confuses me is all GSXR pipes will work on each other from 85 to 92 (all the oil/air cooled GSXRs 750 and 1100) so your pipe should work..we swap pipes all the time. Best of luck!

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts

Is it a problem with oil pan clearance? Might be easier to switch pans and oil lines than to buy new pipe. Though it seems that 1100 pipe would be bigger than 750 (headpipe diameter, collector volume, etc.).

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts

And another thing-I've heard that when you put 1100 eng in 86-87 750 frame that you have to drop the motor to pop the valve cover. Is this true? Would'nt that be a bitch to work on?

------------------

·
Registered
398 Posts

as long as there is no air box its not to bad..and the diameter is slightly larger on the 1100 but the spacing and spigots to mount are the same. The clearance is the same but some pipes have a problem from the 85-90 and the 91/92 crossing over..but it usually fits well. Hope it helps!

------------------

·
Registered
437 Posts

Exhaust pipe trivia question: Were the 88 and 89 750's the only stock 4 into 2 exhausts?

Hindle and D&D have a good selection for that year of bike. Yosh only has the Zyclone. Micron doesn't offer anything that I've seen. I've done a lot of looking just no buying. Three kids tend to curtail some purchases.

Hey Byron, if your exhaust pipe doesn't fit and is in semi-decent shape, you could always sell it to a cheap sucker like me...

------------------
'89 750---Factory ignition advancer and shift kit, Barnett Kevlar Clutch and springs, Goodridge SS brake lines.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

To Jeff: my race shop wants to spec a hindle 4 to 2 to 1. They think Yosh is trash and Micron too heavy, D&D has bad build/design quality. I think the hindle is not avaliable in stainless, so a rust bucket nickle one will most likely be it.

To Phat: Yeah, I thought it would fit too, frame is a '89 750 slingshot.

To wtjohn: I'm using the slimmer oil pan off the 750, I think it's cylinder spacing that's the problem.
Running 36mm flats with no airbox (road racer) so valves fine to get to.

To Umf: sure, the pipe has no rust or dings, it's plain black, 4 to 1 (I think, this weekend I'll check).

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

umf, i'm assuming you're asking just about 750's? since all 1100's from 89 on had 4 into 2 exhausts stock.
i think the '90 750 may have had a 4 into 2 pipe stock, and i'm fairly sure the 89 limited edition didn't, but don't quote me on those.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Byron, I would be especially interested if it is a 4-2-1. I thought that's what Yosh had at the time but please let me know at any rate.

Jeff, yes I was referring to the 750's. What possessed Suzuki to produce 4 into 2's for 750's for 2 or 3 years? Seems like they would have known they got it right with 4-1's for the first couple years of production.

------------------
'89 750---Factory ignition advancer and shift kit, Barnett Kevlar Clutch and springs, Goodridge SS brake lines.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

To add to the 4into2into1 debate, I know from everybody that races 1100's in Vintage, say that the 4-2-1 broadens the mid range and it's what they all use. The 4-1 seems to add top end, but stumbles out of the corners. I would think a 750 that has it's meat of the power band higher in the range would like a 4to1. Dunno.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 89gixxer:
To Jeff: my race shop wants to spec a hindle 4 to 2 to 1. They think Yosh is trash and Micron too heavy, D&D has bad build/design quality. I think the hindle is not avaliable in stainless, so a rust bucket nickle one will most likely be it.

To Phat: Yeah, I thought it would fit too, frame is a '89 750 slingshot.

To wtjohn: I'm using the slimmer oil pan off the 750, I think it's cylinder spacing that's the problem.
Running 36mm flats with no airbox (road racer) so valves fine to get to.

To Umf: sure, the pipe has no rust or dings, it's plain black, 4 to 1 (I think, this weekend I'll check).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No matter what they say about the other brands of pipe, if you can get them in stainless, go for it. I thoroughly despise Yosh, but would pop for a stainless system by them in a New York minute rather than a nickle plated mild steel piece from Hindle (who, in my opinion, make excellent stainless items). The only way the Micron could really be too heavy is if it too was nickle plated mild steel. Otherwise, it would have to be thick walled STAINLESS!! ie, better choice.

Good luck!

------------------
Fat Bastard's bike: '93 GSXR1100wp CDN version w/ thoroughly ridiculous # of mods :)

·
Registered
468 Posts

wtf, you mean a full system from an 86-87 750 will bolt on to my 1100?? Is that what I'm hearing? I thought different tube diam. etc.

------------------
dj

86 1100G, V&H Full, K&N

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeff:
damage? what happened?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Damage" meaning damage to the wallet.

------------------

·
Registered
805 Posts

89gixxer,

What are you doing with your old 750 motor parts?

------------------

"Have fun today, because tomorrow you may regret not enjoying yesterday!"
'86 1100G
2 - '87 1100H
'88 1100J
And a few Harleys

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Yeh hahh! ....the shop found a stainless 4- 2-1 hindle. engine is together and in the bike, fox shock is coming back from traxxion and I may be able to dyno the whole mess on Sat.
The only parts other than the hop up stuff was a new shift drum and 2 shift forks.
When it's done...if you guys are interested, I''ll post a few shots and list what was done and the damage $$$ .

------------------

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cherry871100H:
89gixxer,

What are you doing with your old 750 motor parts?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm trading the labor on the 1109 for it.
Not much of it will be left, oilpan was used, and cable clutch& cover, sump, hd springs, cams, carbs. so they got most of a bottom-end and cylinder with pistons
------------------

[This message has been edited by 89gixxer (edited 01-12-2001).]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Well it's Sunday and I fooled with the bike on Sat. Couldn't dyno because the rear shock is not back from getting revalved. Did start it up and it sounds nasty!!!. Hindle stainless system looks real light and well made. I can tell the lighten crank makes it rev like a two stroke. Spent the day fiddleing with a yamaha marvic front wheel for the front and figuring out a solution to a clearance problem with the petcock/tank hitting one of the oil lines. The yosh pipe problem was not that it would not fit the 1100, but interferred with the front oil cooler (curved '90 cooler). It was a good thing anyways because upon removing the steel yosh, I found the inside was rusting away...it was trash (sorry Ump, it was a 4into1 anyways). The motor has 1109 kit in it, 370 lift cams and hd springs and 36mm flats, while warming it up it was pushing strong enough to fire out pieces of it's baffling packing out the shop door!...I think the motor will be strong...I think I need to repack the muffler.

------------------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
89gixxer
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing