Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran my bike on my dyno today. 110 hp not bad for a 1000? I think the fuel pump may be bad. has anyone had a bad fuel pump and got low hp readings? I checked valve clearance, cam timing, air filter, TPS is right. Any ideas?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
110 is about 30 hp short of the low end for a typical liter bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just did a 636 remap that ran 106hp about 10 min before. I knew the clutch was toast so I replaced it with heavy springs and Yoshed the ECU and it was a little better but comparing it to the twenty or so other 1000s on my dyno I'm about 35 hp low for a stock bike with a full M4 exhaust. The plugs looked very lean and my pipe inside had a sooty blacness that usually indicates a lean misfire. Unfortunately my Snap-on gas sniffer died and Snap-on said sorry they cant fix it so I can't get a gas reading to see. On a roll-on the bike has slow tach speed and doesn't pull hard at high rpms. My 99 750 pulls 132hp and my 2000 750SS pulls 141hp so I know the dynos right. I have two dynos a 200 dynojet and a 250 and I get the same readings on all the bikes (within a couple of hp) so I know the dynos good.

·
Banned
14,060 Posts
I see you have cams and it is ported and polished. How about retarding or advancing the timing? Your fuel issue also sounds like a very good route to go down.

Did you do a compression test?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry this is for my 1000 not my 750 it runs great. I have a 2002 1000, 2000 750, 1999 750 and a 1999 750. They all run great but the 1000 that I just picked up about a month ago. It is completely stock except for an M4 full exhaust. It has 165psi on all 4 cylinders.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Hmmmm.

Normally it should be 185-242psi . 140 or so is the service limit. That could be a problem there possible, maybe you have a leak or the engine is beat.

·
Premium Member
11,910 Posts
Weather durning the dyno is not going to screw up the results like this....... never.

Better keep on guessing.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
165 is low... ill bet you broke it in by the book... your low on compression my friend... the last owner babied it out the dealer.....

another reason you should rebuild and break it in the way it was supposed to break it...

Your post is a perfect example for all these Break in questions.... Prime example of breaking it in by the book...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took the tank off my 2000ss bike and the bike did 142hp and the graph is a little rich. Took the 1000 fuel pump apart, had a little crap on the screen. Didn't have time for a pressure check. Will press ck on Tuesday. Called dealer $528.00 for a new pump...$398.00 my cost...choke choke! Thanks for all the input guys! Ralph

ps. Dynos are only tools to be used by experienced operators. They are, in reality, only good as a device to measure changes done during the tuning process. The real measure of hp comes in sixth gear just after the tunnel bump and the run through the tri-oval.
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
165 is low... ill bet you broke it in by the book... your low on compression my friend... the last owner babied it out the dealer.....

another reason you should rebuild and break it in the way it was supposed to break it...

Your post is a perfect example for all these Break in questions.... Prime example of breaking it in by the book...
Can I get a hell yeah?

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts

Can I get a hell yeah?
The factory method break-in produces as much or more power than any other method. This thread has no direction or any facts as so many do at GDC.

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
anyway, back to the 110hp literbike, you probably need to tear down the engine and rebuild it with new rings so you get better compression.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
anyway, back to the 110hp literbike, you probably need to tear down the engine and rebuild it with new rings so you get better compression.
I agree or the fact that something went wrong with the test or the first post is bogus.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
If you have 165 psi on all cyclinders then you DO not have a leak. If you have a valve or rings issue - one cyclinder will shine a LOT lower than the others - but NEVER all 4 together.
AND 165 is not that bad of a drop, it's less than 10% and most bikes running high compression would lose this amount in the first 6 months of ownership.

I would say if has nothing to fuggen do with the way the bike was broken in - BUT i'll tell you this - write down the names of the people saying they are breaking their bikes in as per MOTO Dude Guy, if they still have their bikes running in a couple of years at the same level as they are now - i'll eat my computer.
Also - be careful who you buy 2nd hand bikes from - my first question would be - "so have you ever heard of this moto tune guy" - if they say yes, walk away.....longevity is not in moto's vocabulary..
Cheers Si.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts