Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1052 engine in to a Katana 750 \'02??

I am about to sell an engine I have no use for... It is an 1052 (86-88 GSXR1100) engine.

One guy is interested to fit it into his almost brand new GSX750F '02(or Katana, like you call it in USA), to get more torque and power in the low and mid rpm's.

Stroke of 750F is 48,7 and 1052 has stroke of 58.
does this mean that the 1052 is 9,3 mm's higher than 750F's engine??

If so, is any of you guys that familiar with Katana's that could inform me, if there is space for this bigger machine??
If there is, would it still be possible to take the cover of the head out without taking the whole engine out??

Is there anything else I should know??
I guess the heads are the same, likewise starter, alternator etc. etc.

I might sound stupid not knowing this myself, but please forgive me, that I have not been too interested in brand new Katana's... The only Katana's I am interested of, are made in early 80's and have 1100 cubic cm's.

Brgrds,
LEQ

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Re: 1052 engine in to a Katana 750 \'02??

Should fit as they are both A/O cooled. In fact there is one like this for sale on e-bay. I do not know about any problems unique to doing this to Katana's but many a GSXR 750 has a 1100 engine in it.
Bones

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

On gixxer's the valve cover won't come off with the engine in the frame. I'm not sure about kat's but the same could be true.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

not sure about the 98 and newer kats but a gixxer engine will go right in a kat with no problems...they experience the same problems as the gixxers 750 with 1100 engines in them...the valve cover is tuff to get on and off in the bike...

dwayne

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts

You can get the Valve cover off if you take the vent cover off of the center of it first. It will then slip out of the side. It's still not easy but it does come off.
Bones

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for helping me with my poor english... I tried to ask if there is any other bigger problems coming with installation, but the cover of the head off-taking would need dropping the engine on the floor.
- Which I would see as a quite a big problem...

Also the replys above left me a little bit confused... does anybody of you KNOW if it will be necessary to unbolt the engine to take the cover of or not??

Thx for the hint of the bike for sale in e-bay..
I will check if the bike is still there and send mail to the owner, if he knows about the problems with taking off the cover.

Thx for all replys, I knew I could trust you guys

BRgrds,
LEQ

·
Registered
124 Posts

LEQ,
In my 89 750 chassis with the 1052 motor I don't have to drop the motor to the floor to do valve adjustments, but I do ususally unbolt the front motor mounts and let the motor drop a little and this is enough, but it is tight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The one for sale in e-bay (start bidding: 2050USD???, you guys are so lucky to get everything almost for free), is older one (92) and made on 1127 engine.
1127 is even higher than 1052, which makes me assume that it will fit there...
But does anybody know anything about the changes in GSX-F 92-02... is there any reasons (=changes in the frame), which could make it more difficult to put this 1052 in the Katana??

BRgrds,
LEQ

PS. It's winter here and -10 Celsius. Below you have links to see my bike last time looking like this. Next 6 months are reserved for modifications - no driving on icy roads. There's time enough totally rebuild it. Something good in living this north...

2002 front
2002 back
And the same bike a year ago...
my gsx-r season 2001

1 - 8 of 8 Posts