Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Have searched and read through threads and have come up with the following for my 87 1052.

• wiseco kit 1109
  • ST1 Yoshi cam or should I look at web cam?
  • New valve guides
I dont want to pour money into the head just after a reasonable lift, as usual for min effort.
Yoshi ST-1 apparently is bolt in - is it worth it?
Yoshimura product site : GSX-R1100?93-97? - ST-1 CAMSHAFT

Ive read something about using bigger inlet values, just inlet not exhaust? What size or from what model?

Any other suggestions that wont break the bank?
Am I better off dropping the big bore kit and just investing in the head?

Appreciate any input or guidance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Yoshi stage 1 cams are not far off standard GSXR 89 spec.

I got these welded and reground at Kennelly cams in CHCH for 6 hundy and they have the pattern available. Peter is the guy to talk to.

I think your up ACK way so give Harris race cars a call and see if they could do anything for you in the way of cams, head etc, they could probably hook you up with a set of 89 spec cams as they usually send them to either kennelly or another guy in CHCH. the TQ midgets have stolen all the old oiler motors :( and even the GSXF dot head motors also. Harris RC put me onto Kennelly but a few of the car guys are now getting into water boilers now.

If you could possibly find it a (rare as hens teeth in NZ) DOT head will bolt onto your motor and with the bore kit should add up to some good HP.

If you search cam or head swaps around you may find the GXF1100 cams could be a good option for mid range but IDK exactly.

Putting larger valves in your head would entail some work not undo able but maybe then with all that work why not just go for a full 1127 motor with a big bore....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point re 1127.
I want to race it in the pre 89 class, so you are right an 89 has an 1127.

Is it a straight bolt in or are mods required?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Should squeeze in plenty of 7//11 slabies using 1127's have a look round the forums never tried it myself. I think the 1127 may have a 12mm lower rear engine bolt compared to 10mm for the 1052 but maybe thats for the later models don't quote me but easy enough to drill the existing holes out

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
get some b12 sleeves and pistons, or hayabusa pistons (cant remember if the crown height is the same as the oiler pistons) and bore the sleeves, deck the block and cylinder head, install larger valves along with getting the head flowed and ported. Source some connecting rods from a water-cooled motor (or a hayabusa if using their respective pistons, in order to achieve correct piston deck height) and order the correct journal bearings. use a slingshot 750 or a GSXR 1127 intake cam, and move the existing intake cam to the exhaust side. slot your existing cam gears or order some to dial in your cams.

I built a 1052 with b12 pistons which punched it out to an 1137cc, paired with an '89 750 DOT head with matching cams and 36mm CV slingshot carbs, full 750 ignition. it was a monster, cant imagine what some head work and larger carbs wouldve done to that motor

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Sooo I have a 1109 wiseco piston kit on the way.
With the compression increased to 12:1 should I use a thicker base gasket i.e. instead of a .010 inch use a .020

Copper or steel?

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,618 Posts
You can guess and just throw parts at it...or you can mock your engine up, measure to determine what you will actually need for base and head gasket thickness, in order to achieve optimum squish, PTV etc.
Wait until you have your new cams. Get a pair of adjustable sprockets so that you can degree them too.
Take the time and cc your head.

Your new pistons are "advertised" as 12:1, there's lots of variables that can result in less or even more compression.

Our oilers are old, who knows what has been done to them over the years...has the deck or head ever been machined at some point? That would affect your clearances. How could you ever be sure?...unless you measured to be certain.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Beairsto Racing Is correct.. the race is for when the bike is done.. take your time and measure over and over and ask as many questions as people will answer. You haven’t mentioned anything about the clutch (I’d make sure it’s new) and maybe I missed it but the carbs and ignition. I have built (what I thought was gonna be a beast) and as Beairsto said I just kinda threw parts at it and it never really was worth (I don’t mean money I mean labor of love) I put into it. Just my thoughts but I’m getting old so...

·
Registered
872 Posts
could just double up on base gaskets, measure the thickness of the used one, multiply it by 2 and do some math to figure out your new CR. theres lots of calculators on the web that are very helpful for this :thumbup

·
3,474 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I have my 1052 torn down and was ready to order parts when I came across a cheap running 1992 GSXR-1100.

Would I be much better off building up the 1127 instead of the 1052?

Both engines have 33,000 +/- miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts