Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just assembled the bottom end and cylinders on my 1052. installing an 1109 ape kit and used carrillo rods. once the rods and cylinders were installed I rotated the crank and the rod bolt on the #3 cylinder comes in contact with the oil passage to the input shaft bearing.(see pics) cant grind clearance or shorten bolt head( would throw out crank balance.) called Carrillo and they have no answer. anyone else come across this before.
Inkedgix1_LI.jpg
Inkedgix2_LI.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep few people have had this I had been told some people had skimmed the bolts and read of others skimming the oil gallery.
Building a 1052 into a 750 case myself and same sort of problem I had wondered if the original 1052 case was slightly a bit different in that area
Thinking the same I've skimmed the web by my calc there is @ 5mm or ¼. In meat so go easy if you do that I skimmed. @ 2mm off the web and looks ok mind you I have been slack with the rebuild and is nowhere near finished yet
WP_20190513_19_27_13_Pro.jpg

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,672 Posts
I've got a pair of 1316cc based 1052's with Carrillo rods, in the Double.
My cases have been finessed for this very reason...just go slow and easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep few people have had this I had been told some people had skimmed the bolts and read of others skimming the oil gallery.
Building a 1052 into a 750 case myself and same sort of problem I had wondered if the original 1052 case was slightly a bit different in that area
Thinking the same I've skimmed the web by my calc there is @ 5mm or ¼. In meat so go easy if you do that I skimmed. @ 2mm off the web and looks ok mind you I have been slack with the rebuild and is nowhere near finished yet View attachment 570167
I kinda figured as much. it surprises me that carrillo says they've never heard of it. is the serial # on your case U703?
Thanks for the reply. I'm not alone!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a pair of 1316cc based 1052's with Carrillo rods, in the Double.
My cases have been finessed for this very reason...just go slow and easy.
thanks for the reply Beairsto. Are your cases U703's? just trying to find common ground.

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,672 Posts
My cases are 1st gen 1100's, not sure what the numbers are right now...I'm working in the Arctic.

You have to remember that these engines are 30+ years old...lots of knowledge has been lost when people retire etc.

Give Jay at APE a call...excellent tech and product support.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I kinda figured as much. it surprises me that carrillo says they've never heard of it. is the serial # on your case U703?
Thanks for the reply. I'm not alone!
No I'm just putting a1052 crank and cylinder on a R712 (short stroke 750) case I had a lot of parts left over from another build. Ends with the same problem. As far as I know as the Carillo rods are wider it's a known problem I was told / read of both methods and someone mentioned to do what they do when putting Carillos in being, often they shave the nuts but really didn't like that too much after I had a think about it.

U703 is definitely a 1052 case they were all the same from 86-88 apart from two euro models which had a different version number

1 - 7 of 7 Posts