Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna put a 1000 engine in my 03 600. I already changed the swing arm and i have no problem getting the motor all I'm looking for is advise on is this a smart thing to do, has anyone done this with success? And is there anyone near the buffalo N.Y. area who can handle doing this for me? I have about 3000 to spend. The reason is because i have alot of work into my bike and i really dont wanna get a new one yet.

·
Registered
479 Posts
there are a few threads on this exact topic, do a search. There is a company that sells brakets that let the motor bolt right in, dont know the name, its in the other threads. Just remember, 600 suspension is VERY soft for the extra weight and more importantly extra POWER of a 1000, might want to consider 1000 (or at least 750) forks and shock. good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can do it, and John is right about the suspension.. I looked into it a while back and was looking at about 2500 installed here in Texas.....I went Nitrous instead!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
i just put a 2002 gsxr1000 engine in my 2000 750 frame. got the mount kit from "hybrid Racing" <[email protected]>

-note which year is going into what frame
-score extra points if the replacement engine comeswith radiator(s) instrument, harness, etc
-the mount kit is expensive for what they give you but it works

·
Registered
100 Posts
ive done it and went in hard as hell, i got my instructions and brackets from john and they worked with my own modifiacations. maybe they werent measured right, i dont know, but it was hard

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
ive done it and went in hard as hell, i got my instructions and brackets from john and they worked with my own modifiacations. maybe they werent measured right, i dont know, but it was hard
+1 on that. I had to not use the short bracket... but it should work fine with the just 2 front mounts. we'll see. I'm putting an 03 engine in my 01 600. if your going with the 2003 you'll need a new ignition as well as fuel pump and the left and right side controls. the reason being is that they changed the connections to the wiring harness. If your doing an 02 1k engine it will be a direct swap. nothing needs to be changed.

also, you don't have to change the swingarm. a 600 swingarm is plenty strong.

i'll post in a week or so with an update on my project. I just put the 03 1k in my 600. but i'm not done yet. if you have any questions just PM me

·
Registered
2 Posts
WHat would this modification do to the handling and breaking? What would the performance compare to if i went 03 750 motor into 03 600 chasis and then used 750 suspension. and if i decided to just do a 600 rebuild can i use 04 suspenion in an 03 600 of course? An answer to this would be great help!!! thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'VE DONE THE SWAP USING JON'S MOUNTS.
i had no problem at all with the fit and trim of things. didn't have any suspension problems either.
i think its better to get the advice from people who have done the swap than the doomsayers that want to believe future problems will uprise.

anywhoo........i did the swap to my 02 tele about a year ago. i've put 14,000 miles on the bike since and haven't had a problem. i've had it apart (completely) twice since the initial swap and had no problem getting it back together either. (new powder coating and all)

here is a link to another threadi posted some info and pics on
and i guess i'll post some update pics too.

if anyone is seriouse about the swap and is seeking info you can contact me through jon at [email protected]
just ask him for MATTS email and i'll help you in any way i can. i'm sure he's a busy man and i don't mind answer questions for him

heres the pics!!!!

heres one before the P.C. and extras

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I did/ am still doing the 600-1k swap. and my mounts did NOT line up. heard from some others that had the same problem. the 2 long brackets worked fine, but the short one is TOO short. if your going to do this project.. be ready to spend extra time and money on it. and if you don't have to in the end, that's even better.

·
Registered
349 Posts
the 2 long brackets worked fine, but the short one is TOO short.
By how much is the short one off by? 1mm or less?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts