Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so after have way too much fun on a trackday I went and bought a cheap used trackbike so I can have some fun this summer and then get something newer and more expensive next year.

The bike is a 97-GSXR 600

The problem with it is it'll start up just fine and idle just fine but when you go to takeoff from 1K-3K in every gear it bogs down and jumps a little and doesn't have any power.

So far what i've done to it is -
changed the spark plugs
replaced air filter
flushed cooling system and cleaned it (freeze plug popped and got oil into the cooling system so had to flush it with some detergent but it's clean now)
completely drained fuel out of the tank and replaced it with fresh 93 octane fuel
charged the battery just in case.

What I was thinking is that the engine was getting to hot when I first got it because of the cooling system being in bad shape and low on water since he had the res. hooked up backwards and didn't keep water...so maybe the head is getting too warm but I wouldn't think it would happen in all gears. Haven't ran it since we flushed the cooling system.

Also was thinking that it maybe be a heavy clutch or of course the normal thing of needing re-jetted. Above 3K it runs great so not sure what to do. I did notice that it does use fuel kinda quickly but we did just drain the system so I'm sure that some of the fuel went back into the fuel lines and such.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone have any idea's I was told to check the needle and possible adjust it in the carbs. Could be getting too much fuel on the low end?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i dont know what u are running for mods but i have slip on K&N filter and i needed a jet kit.
what world of a differnce it made.
just me 2 cents
It was previously re-jetted for the mods...but I was thinking that same thing that it may need re-jetted again.

·
Yaah I know!
1,020 Posts
if you racing you are most likely never going under 3 K he has probably big jets on it so it pulls hard once ou are movingand getting on it out of the corners. My 750 is slugish in low RPMs also but once I have it over three it's like getting a kick in the ass when you hammer it

·
Registered
116 Posts
mine has always done the same thing. people that i have talked to act like its normal. the only time i am ever below 3 is leaving a stop. friends have just told me im not giving it enough gas leaving a stop and to rev it higher. i dont know if mine is rejetted because i bought it used too. i just had it tuned up at the shop and they didnt say anything. let me know if you hear anything different.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Pull the carb, tear it down and clean it out completely. Then reassemble and see if you still have the problem. If you do, drop the needle one clip (this means move the clip up on the needle). You might want to turn the mixture screws in a little bit, but if it idles fine, you might not need to. When you have the carb torn down, note the size of the pilot jet. Perhaps it is too big.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pull the carb, tear it down and clean it out completely. Then reassemble and see if you still have the problem. If you do, drop the needle one clip (this means move the clip up on the needle). You might want to turn the mixture screws in a little bit, but if it idles fine, you might not need to. When you have the carb torn down, note the size of the pilot jet. Perhaps it is too big.
thanks for the advice everyone. what you said here is probably what i'm going to do but like said before i'm not going to be below 3k on the track i'm more worried about it from a personl standpoint. I hope to get to it this weekend or early next week.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
to anyone that has been reading this I think I may have got it figured out. At the advice of some I took apart the carbs and adjusted the needle. The clips were on the lowest setting(richest) plus 2 washers. After a few tries I put it back the way it was and just removed the washers...took it for a quick ride up and down the driveway and seems not to bog but can't ride at night with no headlight so sunday will be the test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.