Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on a post somewhere a guy was complaining about how crappy his gas mileage was after he did this mod. Another guy said the same thing cuz now he is at a higher rpm than with stock gearing. Has anybody experienced this? Would it better just to go with a -1 or just +2?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

thanx in advance!

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
matters what you want it for. if your into stunting then you could care less about gas mileage.

as far as gas mileage i don't know how he could judge this. his odometer will be off now from the sprockets, giving him higher mileage per tank.

and yes it does rev higher, thats the point of it. The gears are smaller. making more punch for the rev.

i loved in on my 600, but if you do is cruise all day then its not worth it. However it makes for fun torqe on the road and esp wheelies 1-3rd

·
Registered
216 Posts
i have it on my 03 600. revs are high when im on he freeway. don't notice too much of a difference in gas milage.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
matters what you want it for. if your into stunting then you could care less about gas mileage.

as far as gas mileage i don't know how he could judge this. his odometer will be off now from the sprockets, giving him higher mileage per tank.

and yes it does rev higher, thats the point of it. The gears are smaller. making more punch for the rev.

i loved in on my 600, but if you do is cruise all day then its not worth it. However it makes for fun torqe on the road and esp wheelies 1-3rd
I have -1 in front I'm getting 44 mpg lol

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah I have -1 in front, didn't notice a change in mileage at all. But it wasn't as crazy as I thought it would be, myabe I should go +2 in rear now...

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have -1 and +1 on my 750, i didn't notice much. Don't worry too much about it. you will be fine. i don't know what my exact mpg is, but i can fill up before i hit the road, and 170 miles later, i need more fuel. now, that's highway, and about 100+ mph, at times, 160, but average 110. for 170 miles. you do the math, but on a 5 gallon tank, yeah. it's all good.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I went -1 in the front and +3 in the rear.

Only major difference besides the amount of power transfered to that rear sprocket is how fast I red line now. The bike screams more now...but as far as gas.....ofcourse your gonna waste more your reved higher more often. For a longer period of time. I hit 6 gear sometimes and dont even know it due to the sound.

I dont see the need to even have a high top end when you mostly drive in the city. I dont hit 180 that much.....theres no need.

·
Registered
637 Posts
when you regear lower, the odometer will also turn faster, so the 44 miles per gallon is really about 35-37 mpg in real distance. also, while your speedo is sayin 44 when you are going, you are not pushing as much air

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
I have -1 in front I'm getting 44 mpg lol
You either drive like a total granny or are completely full of sh|t

I vote #2

Your milage is already off cause your odometer is reading higher than true in that it says 100 miles when you've only gone ~90
Changing the gearing makes this worse.
When I fill up the odo reads 140 150 but I have gone much less than that. How much I really don't know. Do the math
Higher odo reading divided by gal of gas used leaves you with a false high.
BTW the only time I am full of shit is when I get done licking your mom's ass

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx for all the advice. I just picked my AFAm sprockets & an RK chain. Decided to go with 16/44 set-up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts