Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys the hole on one side of my seat is striped, thus the screw keeps turning and turning, any suggestions?:hammer

·
Club Fluffer
1,803 Posts
I did the same thing. I used another bolt a few sizes bigger and forced threaded it. Did both sides and all is good.

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
good idea, but I wouldn't force thread it in. I'd get a tap and tap the new threads first.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
I put in a heli-coil, 1 1/2 season & working well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What size helicoil did u use and where can I get one? The threads on the other side of my bike is non existent as well so.
+1 on the heli-coil. I did the same thing with the heli-coil. Just get a new hex bolt so you can match up the threads to the heli-coil. You should find the heli-coils at most parts stores. Good luck. :lick

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,328 Posts
It's easy to cross-thread the screw into the hole in the seat rail if the seat isn't correctly positioned and you're screwed once this happens. A heli-coil is the usual fix but TheManRacing (at least I think it was him) had an interesting idea some time ago - namely to drill the threads out and use a quick release pin in place of the screw. Something like McMaster-Carr's 90985A111 or 90302A111 is probably what's needed. However they're $15-$20 each.

With regard to helicoil, the thread is M6x1 and a 9mm insert length should work. There's such a kit on ebay for $13 right now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
dang guess i been lucky. I def agree that if seat isnt positioned well then it will be difficult to secure the screw. Wow and i thought only the oil pan stripped easily lol

·
Club Fluffer
1,803 Posts
I just did it carefully and no problems at all. Made sure It went directly straight. The metal is soft enough so I didn't use a tap and die set. Was easy.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
dang guess i been lucky. I def agree that if seat isnt positioned well then it will be difficult to secure the screw. Wow and i thought only the oil pan stripped easily lol
It is very easy to do, I'm very carefull & did it very easily. It's soft enough it doesn't feel like it's cross threaded until you already fucked it up enough it will not tightten properly. Chewee, the above poster answered^^. I got a kit at NAPA, I think it was like $35. Just be sure you clean the shavings up really well when you are done so they don't end up in the wrong place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts