Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

241 - 260 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy cr*p... Looks like I have to ask ...prepared for the flaming , but it doesn't seem that anyone has stated the results of mods.

For all the guys that have done the mid pipe mod, did you do any mapping or anything else? How was performance?

I have an 09 750 with a two brothers slip on, I wanted to get better sound and prefer the shorty look. I have zero interest in having to do all this Dyno bs.

So fellas... Post your results please.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Holy cr*p... Looks like I have to ask ...prepared for the flaming , but it doesn't seem that anyone has stated the results of mods.

For all the guys that have done the mid pipe mod, did you do any mapping or anything else? How was performance?

I have an 09 750 with a two brothers slip on, I wanted to get better sound and prefer the shorty look. I have zero interest in having to do all this Dyno bs.

Cheers
Better sound or louder ?? Anyhow my buddy has a k8 600 . He hacked the cat and had a muffler shop add a mid pipe . He doesn't have a tune and has been running the bike like that for 3 years with no tune . He has a flat spot at low RPMs

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts

Cheers
like motion said, you are gonna have a flat spot at low revs and you will get a huge smash of power between 9 and 10k rpm. i mean huge. on my 600, in a particular part of the track between a left hander then right hander, the power would smash on just as i was transitioning and it would feel like the bike wanted to shoot out from under me and leave me behind like in the cartoons. it is was an 06 with slipon, which removed the cat as it was contained in the muffler assembly.

simply adding a PCV or Bazzaz with a downloaded map will help fix the flat spot and you can find those used on ebay and CL for less than $100. lots of guys here will tell you dyno, dyno, dyno, but that is for optimal performance. you don't need it tooling around on the street.

as for your 2sisters pipe; gross. if you cut the cat, your bike will be stupid loud and sound less than optimal. i say go for akra, as that is what my bikes have, lol. i used to have a 2bros that came on my racebike and i have nothing but contempt for that company and its products, but to each his own.

·
not smart enough to find a usb cable...
35 Posts
I have a K8 750 and it came with a PCV, Yoshi R-55 slip on and K&N filter, so from what i have been reading im just going to buy a mid pipe and add the tune for the full Yoshi exhaust and that should be good enough for a street bike. Or am i better off trying to trade my Yoshi for a louder slip on like a M4 or TwoBrothers and keeping the cat??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys . I went with the m4 shorty carbon exhaust . It's got a mid pipe sleeve that makes the can look like it's made for the bike . I cut the cat off after the weld closest to the cat n ground the weld bead down to fit the pipe . Saves a hell of a lot of money than having to buy a full system . I added a pc5 and got a question; what maps are you guys using that seem to run the best ? Since its like a custom fab on the exhaust setup I'm currently using the m4 full exhaust map and have got a lot of popping going on . Very noticeable because I run the exhaust with no baffle . Anybody else out there running this same setup and notice that .

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought an 08 with a Yoshi TRC, changed gearing (+1/-2), and a PCIII. The seller threw in a spare set of headers that already had the cat cut off so I bought the ebay midpipe and am going to remove the current headers.

Does anyone know about if the map will be fine if you change ONLY the midpipe? I'm putting the trc back on.

(I'm guessing why he had another set of hacked up headers was because he had an 06/07 slip on that had been crashed)

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
the determining factor is if the cat will be, or is already removed.

a cookie-cutter map off the site is not perfect. run an 06/07 slipon map with a system with no cat. run an 08 map for a system with the cat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The headers I'm going to be putting on are without the cat. I'm putting the ebay mid pipe in place of where the cat would have been.

Basically I don't have to cut off the cat like most people do because I had this spare set of already hacked apart headers.

Unfortunately, PowerCommander doesn't offer a slip-on map for the 06-07 Yoshi TRC :cursing just the R-55. I figure they can't be THAT different, though.

Basically the only difference in the map would be because of the difference in the 06-07 headers and the 08 headers + new mid pipe... shouldn't be too much

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alright . After further experimenting all summer on pc5 map setups I have found that the yoshimura full system map , and the akropovik full system map that are uploaded to the pc5 unit are 2 great maps to run for my bike . 2008 gsxr 750 decatted w m4 shorty conversion pipe. Bought pc5 frm moto mummy . Lean and mean hands down .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys!.I m at research about the exhaust.
I ride a k8 750 and i have put on the ScProject slip-on.
The bike works great,but it sounds almost the same as stock.
So to get to the point my theory and my question is:
If i put on the k6 yoshimura collector box and link pipe wich curves around
so it gives a longer pipe the bike will work good without a flat spot at low rpm.
And it wont need tuning,am i right?
Those of you who have put this yoshimura collector and link pipe
agree?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm going to ask a question this thread about fuel tune with decat.
Some say they been riding for year without a retune. they experience a more flat low range and a better punch after midrange.
So if i do a decat on my 750 k8, what would happen if i don't retune it (i'm thinking about fault codes, other sensors? and well the engines condition in general.
*i will gain sound and lose weight, but will it be dangerous for the bike without a retune?

·
Registered
35 Posts
for street riding no - the headers are the same - some will say only tune with full exhaust. Really by decating you're basically installing a 06/07 slip on which 99% will tell you no need to tune for slip ons. I mean unless you're racing it is a waste. Show me a thread about a bike blowing up because they removed the cat without a tune - it's just over worrying (this coming from a guy who sent my ECU to flashtune for worrying about the same thing - shoulda saved my money to spend on track days).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Heres my set up and just want a quick yay or nay. I have a scorpion slip on, on my 09 can I buy a 07 header and match it with a mjs or olson midpipe? If I do just cut the cat off and add the midpipe could I run the bike with no tune, if I leave the set valve alone? Thanks and one more question I just put the scorpion tagma on and its titanium. Will it turn blue over time?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What steps do I need to take to fit an aftermarket exhaust to my 09 600?

I can't just remove the set valve because the cat is welded on?

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
What steps do I need to take to fit an aftermarket exhaust to my 09 600?

I can't just remove the set valve because the cat is welded on?
Did you read the thread? It explains everything.

241 - 260 of 265 Posts
About this Discussion
264 Replies
164 Participants
oldgixxer
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing