Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an 08 600 I just picked up two days ago. Yesterday and today it started acting funny. It seems as if the first ride in the morning (after a long sit) or when I’m leaving work (also a long sit), it will initially start up just fine, but I will put it in gear and when I roll up to the first stop sign and start to slow down it will die on me. It cranks just fine but will not turn over unless I open the throttle a little bit. But after I ride around for a bit it works fine. Something is going on with the fuel flow im thinking. Maybe some clogged injectors or fuel Filter? New to the sport bike platform so not the most knowledgeable as far as the layout. What could I put in the tank to run through the system and clean it up? Anyone else have any ideas, suggestions, had the same problem?
Thanks in advance.

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,410 Posts
It's always best, to post in the specific section for your model.

"It cranks just fine but will not turn over"...these terms are both used to describe when the starter is engaged.
So I assume you mean, it will not start unless you open the throttle.

Is the engine warmed up before you pull away?

What is your idle speed? It sounds like you may need to raise the idle rpm a little bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's always best, to post in the specific section for your model.

"It cranks just fine but will not turn over"...these terms are both used to describe when the starter is engaged.
So I assume you mean, it will not start unless you open the throttle.

Is the engine warmed up before you pull away?

What is your idle speed? It sounds like you may need to raise the idle rpm a little bit.
Yes the starter will engage but it will not fire until I open the throttle. It’s not at operating temp but it is garage kept. I thought of that as well but also if that was the case wouldn’t it die everytime I put it in first and slow down? Will have to check the idle speed

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,410 Posts
Yes the starter will engage but it will not fire until I open the throttle. It’s not at operating temp but it is garage kept. I thought of that as well but also if that was the case wouldn’t it die everytime I put it in first and slow down? Will have to check the idle speed
I think you're just on the threshold of it acting fussy, and there can be a lot of contributing factors. I don't know the maintenance history, condition, tune etc of your bike.
They will generally behave better once they are up to operating temperature, and that would explain why it only stalls at the 1st stop.
Check the easy stuff first...bumping the idle up 100rpm won't cost you a cent.
When was the last time it had an oil change, air filter, spark plugs etc?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you're just on the threshold of it acting fussy, and there can be a lot of contributing factors. I don't know the maintenance history, condition, tune etc of your bike.
They will generally behave better once they are up to operating temperature, and that would explain why it only stalls at the 1st stop.
Check the easy stuff first...bumping the idle up 100rpm won't cost you a cent.
When was the last time it had an oil change, air filter, spark plugs etc?
oil change is happening today. Will have to get new plugs and air filter soon. Idk the history either, the last owner Didnt tell me much so I’m starting with these.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts