Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up! my friend has an 07 750. he sent me these pictures. he thought it was leaking from the screw circled, but i know the weep hole is behind that.

its winter time here in s. indiana. temps have been swinging pretty wildly. its 60f today, last week the high/low was 9 and 0.

i know from my experience with car water pumps, if its leaking out the weep hole, its time for a new one.

of course he hasnt been riding the bike at all. he says this happens when the the temps change like this. he said it did it last year too, but not as bad.

my question is: is it normal for this much fluid to come out of the weep hole? maybe the temp variance is a factor? or is this a clear sign he should replace the wp?

when i say he should, what i mean is me, because he doesnt turn wrenches at all. he doesnt mind watching though. :)

i just dont want him to drop 200$ on a new pump if this is normal. i ride a honda so i dont ever have these kinds of problems. :) :) :)

i could use some advice. he lives an hour away, so i havent put eyes on it personally. but he said he was pretty sure the fluid was coming from that area. im just gonna assume its from the weep hole.

much appreciated for your help!

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,856 Posts
Hondas burn oil, *coughs in CBR1000 issue* so I'd take leaking coolant any day over that.

That being said, that's absolutely abnormal. If it's not a lose hose it could be the WP.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
I would wash the whole area thoroughly. That's pump, engine case where is mounts, and the hose and clamps. Determine where this leak comes from, specifically.

It's an old machine. I am betting seals are starting to break down. If it isn't as simple as tightening the hose clamp, you may need a new seal for the pump.

That being said, the steel fasteners holding the pump on expand/contract at half the rate of the aluminum. It may just be the large temp swings.

Did it leak last summer at all? Did he boil coolant at all last season?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts