Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I tried just about everything and watched all the YouTube videos. Now I’m completely lost. My bike had gotten to the point where it would start 50% of the time. When it would not start you can just hear a click coming from the starter. Now the bike will not start at all. The starter relay still will click but that’s it. Everything lights up, and the lights dim when i hit the start button. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. Today I replaced the starter relay just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke and it did the same thing. I checked the clutch switch for power and it’s fine also.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
You know they have a battery, and charging system.....Rite?
Battery can usually be tested for free at some auto parts stores.
Get a manual , and Dmm unless throwing more parts at it is how you roll.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would of thought with a new battery it would of started even if the stator was no good I would check all your connections battery terminals ground points also the connections on the starter relay the power cable to the starter motor maybe even the starter button contact point inside the switch?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had a similar issue on my old aprilia rsv mille r and it was the power cable and ground cable were corroded I cleaned all the connections with wire brush then reconnected then it was good again

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would of thought with a new battery it would of started even if the stator was no good I would check all your connections battery terminals ground points also the connections on the starter relay the power cable to the starter motor maybe even the starter button contact point inside the switch?
I was wondering about the starter button but figured since when I pressed it and the starter relay clicked then that probably meant it was okay

·
Registered
324 Posts
You can try the button instead of taking it apart try spraying loads of wd40 or switch cleaner into the button keep pressing the button while spraying see If that helps if not take it apart and clean properly I would of thought if the button was working correctly it the relay would keep clicking not just click once?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Okay I tried just about everything and watched all the YouTube videos. Now I’m completely lost. My bike had gotten to the point where it would start 50% of the time. When it would not start you can just hear a click coming from the starter. Now the bike will not start at all. The starter relay still will click but that’s it. Everything lights up, and the lights dim when i hit the start button. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. Today I replaced the starter relay just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke and it did the same thing. I checked the clutch switch for power and it’s fine also. View attachment 569879
Check all your grounds??? Just curious... Check for bad connections throughout the harness, pull the tank and what not to inspect all the connections in and under there... If you have done this, disregard and apologize for taking up time... In the event you haven't give that a shot to be sure they are all good... Did you check the tip over sensor???

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check all your grounds??? Just curious... Check for bad connections throughout the harness, pull the tank and what not to inspect all the connections in and under there... If you have done this, disregard and apologize for taking up time... In the event you haven't give that a shot to be sure they are all good... Did you check the tip over sensor???
I just realized that this or some was mentioned to you already but all of this would definitely be a great place to start... Especially that tip over sensor, I think I may have that issue intermittently and know of several riders that have experienced issues with that damn sensor... Anyway... Good luck, hope you get it hooked up! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just realized that this or some was mentioned to you already but all of this would definitely be a great place to start... Especially that tip over sensor, I think I may have that issue intermittently and know of several riders that have experienced issues with that damn sensor... Anyway... Good luck, hope you get it hooked up! Keep us posted!
Thanks Bro, going through the harness now. Ran across some crazy looking shit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Never seen diodes before
are resistors

the first one, I can recognize is the PAIR mod. Previous owner has removed the pair(google for pair mod) and put that resistor in place of the cable he removed, to avoid an FI error

is not a bad thing, but is totally bad the fact he didn’t insulated at all the resistor. You can remove it, to do your test. It will just show an FI errore but at least you can try if you solved your main problem (later you an put back a new resistor, being sure to insulate all)

theother resistor I’m not able to recognize the scope, but for sure is a very bad job, very very bad. Pls start fixing those weird cable junction, with some solder and isolant or with some specific quick wiring connector

·
Registered
109 Posts
Damn man!!! Asshole did some chop job... I figured that's what was going on..... Dilog is right... Clean all those wires up as best you can and after you make sure all of it is working and making specified connections properly (may have to replace some of those resistors and can get them at Radio Shack if you can still find one open in your area if not, Fry's should do) after you get all that right take electrical tape and go around the whole thing to make a "block" of sorts and fill it with silicone, let dry and you will be good to go...

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is a fix on Youtube, a cat fixing a tip over sensor the way I just explained, I know I didn't do a great job explaining but this guy does a great job and he's a real good dude and will answer any questions you may have as well as me, if you need anything, I'm here to help and let me know! Make sure to cut those wires and get a new clean connection where it is not as best you can...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks Bro, going through the harness now. Ran across some crazy looking shit. View attachment 569883 View attachment 569884
Damn!!! That has to be THE worst attempt to fix EVER and, I have seen alot.. That is your problem.... Where those resistors are, you have 2 choices, check and replace sensors bypassed by those resistors if possible or replace with same new resistors and clean up and make silicone blocks around all of them so nothing is exposed and hopefully that will have you going strong! I'll try to get the link to you on making a silicone "block" for those areas of repairs...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Never seen diodes before
Click on that link if you can, this dude is very thorough and shows exactly how to make that silicone block I'm telling you about after you clean all that bullshit up and have proper connections like you should... Works great and you won't have any issues out of them again.... If for some reason you can't click on that link, let me know and I'll get it to you another way... It's a great video to watch and the guy will answer any questions you may have and pretty quick on getting back to you, a real good dude! Again, you can get with me anytime as well if you have any questions and or help! Keep me posted brother!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So this morning I was still going through all the wires with still no luck. My wife came out and checked my clutch and said it felt too tight and couldn’t rotate the dial. So I pulled the clutch and the arm that pulls the cable barely moved. So we started moving it and trying to adjust the clutch. Well guess what, we where able to get a little more cable. With that it fired right up. So I’m going to go ahead and give it a total clutch adjustment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts