Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi people, want to change out my cam chain tensioner because the chain is making a lot of noise right off the bat at start up and only gets louder throughout riding but there’s not enough room to pull the bolts out without hitting the frame. Is there any way to get it out without having to drop the motor? Also is there anything I need to do to the motor before removing? Thanks.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
4,065 Posts
There are threads on what to do when removing a tensioner so the cam gears don't skip. Have you verified the sound is not coming from somewhere else?

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,444 Posts
So you want to throw money at something you think is a problem. Do you know how to diagnose this sound? How do you know it's not normal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you want to throw money at something you think is a problem. Do you know how to diagnose this sound? How do you know it's not normal?
It’s the only spot where the sound is coming from. Don’t 100% know how to exactly diagnose the problem. I know it’s not normal because it loud af and never made that sound before but I just rode it like that for awhile. The bike has 60,000 miles and I ride it hard.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
If you undo the cam chain tensioner, the cams will skip a tooth and the piston will hit a valve !
You need to check the timing marks. The Service Manual will help you diagnose this problem.
Good question about timing chain wear and chain guide wear, though. (y)

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,444 Posts
Has anyone with more experience listened to it? At 60k, I would say the guides should be inspected as part of the diagnosis. Don't be fooled with where the sound is coming from. These rigid aluminum bikes make pinpointing sounds very hard.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Has anyone with more experience listened to it? At 60k, I would say the guides should be inspected as part of the diagnosis. Don't be fooled with where the sound is coming from. These rigid aluminum bikes make pinpointing sounds very hard.
From my experience, usually the tensioner doesn't make MORE noise when the bike warms up, but less
Unless it's totally shot I guess, but then I'd take a wager the noise will be more subject to the rpms than the temperature

I do know, when (preventively) replacing my cam chain at 75K (kms), I also had the guides replaced, they hadn't failed, but were definitely showing cracks when we looked at them after disassembly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts