Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
suzuki owners , i have a dilema , i presently own an 06 sv 650s and pretty much wnated to trade it in the first week i got it, don't get me wrong , it's a great bike , but my dumb ass wants more power without paying over 9 thou (both bikes pretty much same price) , who can give me some insight on these two vehicles as a comparison , thanx fuckers, haha:wacko

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Wellll... an SV650 is a great overall bike for a starter sport bike, but a current Gix 600 will leave it for dead power wise. Not even in the same league.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I just got back from Streets of Willow Thu/Fri CLASS. First time on that track...bumpy, but much fun.

Aside from the instructors, I was probably one of the 5 fastest A group riders. Not bragging, and just guessing really, but basing that on never being passed on day 2 (again, except instructors, who were significantly smoother and faster).

So, my point. There was an older guy (50?) on an SV1000 who was a little better rider than me. It was the middle of day 2, and I wanted to follow someone around to see who was faster than me. So I followed someone until this guy on the SV passed us both, then I followed the SV. It was all I could do to hang with him in every turn (except maybe the 5/6/7 turns, which I was pretty comfortable with). So I really couldn't get by him anywhere...except the front straight and coming out of the "Bowl". He got good drives onto both straights, but I would pass him about 2/3 down both straights.

If you crave the power, pony up the extra grand and get a 750...I'm serious. On a 600 you will get passed often on the straights. And I would say same on the SV1000, but maybe a little later. But I was still getting passed by an instructor on a 600...either going into turn 2 or into some other turn. A good rider on a 600 will lap quicker than your average (or even above average) rider on a 750 or even 1000. My .02.

Sorry for the long-winded response...I think I'm still buzzing from the last 2 days. First time with my new toy and she did great!!! Much easier to ride fast than my 2002 750.

GL and Ride Safe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you are looking for alot more power, I would have to agree with the other guys and stay away from the sv then. Don't get me wrong, it seems like a great bike, but my buddy has a sv1000, and it hasn't got near the power of my k6 750. After reading posts like yours, saying you wish you could get rid of your bike after one week, I am glad I got the bike I wanted, and knew I would have great fun on and not regret getting. That's a pretty expensive mistake to make! Go with gsx-r, you won't want to get rid of that after one week!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not apples to apples ALL the GXSR are meant for the track you can ride em on the street but if you ride em like there meant to you'll end up in jail or dead IMO it aint much fun riding race bikes around at 1/2 throttle. The SV bikes are street focused and can be adapeted to the race track quite well but there riding postions and powerband are much better for the street than the GXSR.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get a life.

Seriously, though, a 600 will be the fastest on track, but on street the big SV will pretty much match the smaller four. A 750 will kick lots of ass, assuming you are A. very good at setup, and B. very fast.

I put down my ego and plan on buying a 600 instead of the 750.

As far as real world speed, take a look at 60-80 mph roll-ons...this is a good test of how fast a bike will feel on the road. I don't have the exact figures here, but i think the SV1000S and most 600's are pretty well matched.

The 750 is just like doing the same test...but a gear lower!

And the thousand pulls like it is second gear ALL THE TIME.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i sold my sv1000 earlier in the year to buy a gixxer 600,
i dont miss the sv at all, i would certainly miss the gixxer though,
although the sv was a great bike' with loads of torque' it didn't feel fast, it is after all a budget bike, so you get budget brakes , budget suspension, i found it very difficult to corner at speed on, & it is way more uncomfortable than the gixxer, i also think the gixxer 6 would smoke it anyway,

the gixxer looks better, handles better, stops better, better wind protection, better after market parts service, as the sv is a really poor seller in the uk, dealers just do not want them, so resale value is another issue ( glad i sold mine when i did)

i got left behind on a long straight road by a gixxer SRAD when i was on my sv, i was really dissapointed about that

i wouldn't swap this gixxer at all, beleive me
just my 2 cents;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
hooded claw said:
i sold my sv1000 earlier in the year to buy a gixxer 600,
i dont miss the sv at all, i would certainly miss the gixxer though,
although the sv was a great bike' with loads of torque' it didn't feel fast, it is after all a budget bike, so you get budget brakes , budget suspension, i found it very difficult to corner at speed on, & it is way more uncomfortable than the gixxer, i also think the gixxer 6 would smoke it anyway,

the gixxer looks better, handles better, stops better, better wind protection, better after market parts service, as the sv is a really poor seller in the uk, dealers just do not want them, so resale value is another issue ( glad i sold mine when i did)

i got left behind on a long straight road by a gixxer SRAD when i was on my sv, i was really dissapointed about that

i wouldn't swap this gixxer at all, beleive me
just my 2 cents;)
+1 I had an S1k for the street, except I sold mine for the 750. That was about all it was good for. The torque was great for street riding, but the suspension is god-awful and the brakes are not much better.

Throttle response is slow enough that it almost offsets the torque gain. I mean I could spin up a F4i 600 or the gixx 750 to the same power levels in almost the same time. Geometry has to be steepened to get it to turn quick, and that exacerbates the suspension issues. It's also a big bike, and quite a bit top-heavy, even compared to the SV650. Granted if I wanted to sink a couple grand into the bike, I could make it a great streetbike, I still would not want to ride it on the track, where 60%of my riding is done.

Plus take a look at resale...its friggen hard to get value for your dollar on the big SV. A well modded-SV650 sells for more than the 1k typically.

·
Registered
203 Posts
your correct it is a heavy bike, your also correct when you say an sv650 has better resale value & is very easy to sell,

not being biased but i would get the gixxer, a 750 or a 600, i dont miss anything about the sv1000 at all,

ps- you could get a 1000 with the dreaded engine knock:nono
wich means you could end up having an engine stripdown & main bearing replacement

for all your sv1000 info click here

http://www.sv-portal.com/?styleid=1

·
Registered
58 Posts
As a current Sv owner that is lusting over the 750, I think i shoudl chime in. A lot of these comments have useful information in them, but make sure you realise that 'power' isn't everything. Yes, a 750 has more on the top end. Yes, it has a higher Rev limit and is more suitable for track days ( this is subject to debate, however ). I took a k6 750 out for a test drive and I was unimpressed. That bike has absolutely no lowend for the street. I honestly don't know how people ride those things around on a regular basis with -2 in the front at least. i was happy to get back on my V-twin afterwards.

That being said, I am trading up to a 750 pretty soon. Why? Well, I'm planning to hit the track and spend less, or no, time on the street anymore. Before I start rambling like an old man, let me jot down some pros/cons here:

SV1000 - pro
--------------
- tons of lowend ( 70+ lb/ft of torque ) and instant power. no need to wind up that engine to get where you're going. It's a street MONSTER :)
- 110hp up top with mods
- cheaper than a gixx
- tons of fun
- sounds amazing. i'm not a big fan of the pissed-off-sewing-machine soudn of most I4s :rolleyes
- easy to ride and FUN at all speeds
- comfortable
- SMOOTH - tuned properly, my sv vibrates less than a brand new k6 750

SV1000 - con
---------------
- suspension isn't the greatest. ideally it needs some reworking depending on your size/weight and riding style
- slower than 600/750 at higher speeds ( trackday application )
- slightly heavier which affects handling characteristics

I could probably say more on this subject but I should probably get back to work :D. The SV is a great bike and I truly wish i could keep more than one motorcycle in my collection so that I could have both bikes available to me. They are totally different machines that have their own strengths and weaknesse. Don't make your choice entirely based upon 'power' or the fact that everone these days rides a fully-faired supersport on the street.

Good luck with your choice! If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. Oh and if you haven't made your decision yet, try test riding a both. Especially test ride an I4 if you haven't already. The SV1k is fairly similar to the 650

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you define your mission first, the choice will be obvious.

Do you want to tour for anymore than 2 or 3 hours?
Are you into stunts? Wheelies, stoppies?
Street? Track? Equal amounts of both?
Do you ride in climates where it's 10 in the morning and 70 at lunch?
Are you just out to have some fun or are you working on a specific aspect of motorcycling? (throttle control, cornering, keeping up with the guy in front of you in the canyons)
What's your budget for maintaining and insuring the bike after you've purchased it?
How concerned are you with looking cool?
How many farkles will you mount on it? (GPS, radar detector, MP3, etc.)

Answer those questions and the bike you need will be blatantly obvious.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.