Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - So I’m looking for some insight on where to start on a bike I purchased to fix up. I grabbed the bike from a good friend that kept it in storage through the last winter. This is the info I got from him that sold it to me. If I can’t fix it I’ll just part it out or do a 750 swap on it. But figured I’d reach out here first and see what you guys think.

The Bikes a 2006 GSXR 600 with about 23k miles on it.

They rode it last season , at some point decided to convert the bike over to straight “water wetter” and it rode fine for many months. What he thinks happened is One night it must have got below freezing while the bike was in the garage and possibly the water wetter froze up. He didn’t realize it and took it for a ride the next day. Bike started overheating quickly and ended up blowing oil and coolant mix everywhere all over the plastics. He shut the bike right off it got up a little over 205 degrees before he shut it off and got it towed home and then foolishly put it away for the season just not wanting to deal with it. Never even drained the oil / coolant milky mix , so it just sat inside the engine all this time up until now when I’m gonna start to rip into it.
Other than that scenario happening the only other reasonable thing I can come up with is the water wetter burnt off from too high of temps and the bike was ridden dry with no coolant and obviously overheated.

I grabbed the bike from him for cheap money so I want to atleast see if it’s something as simple as the freeze plugs popped from the cold weather, or something as big as a blown head gasket.

Where should I start first with diagnosing it ? Should I first drain the oil and coolant and then do a compression test / leak down test and see what I get ? Check the freeze plugs ? Oil cooler ? Water pump seal? Etc

Or should I not even waste my time and just get a new engine for it Since at this point the oil and coolant mixture have sat in the bike for months and wasn’t drained immediately - I’m wondering if that can cause damage internally with the engine and corrosion now that the parts have been covered in a milky oil / water wetter mix for this long? If it is the head gasket is it worth fixing it or just doing a swap? Any input is greatly appreciated. I’d even be willing to pay someone to give me a few step by step tips on where exactly I should start. I just don’t want to do a motor swap if it’s something simple like the freeze plugs or water pump seal etc. Hoping some people can give me some solid input on where to look and start first.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
322 Posts
First thing I'd look at is the oil cooler. Do a pressure test of the cooling system and that will tell you where it's leaking. 205 degrees doesn't sound high enough to warp the head, but there could be more damage from the oil and water mix on the bearings and what not. Unfortunately there is no easy way to tell if the engine is toast unless you disassemble it, but assembling it back together will get expensive quick, just an aftermarket set of gaskets will cost 1/3rd of what a running engine does, plus whatever else is damaged.

If it's just the oil cooler I'd put a new one in there, drain the mayonnaise out of the engine and refill it with cheapo oil to start it up and warm it. If it runs ok a couple more of drain & refills and a test ride. But if it doesn't I would just buy a replacement engine, unless you really want to fix it as a learning experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok great I’m gonna start there as well as the freeze plugs. Do you have a write up on how to access the freeze plugs, I have a feeling that might be my issue. I know the tanks gotta come off , airbox etc but just looking for a detailed write up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also is there a specific tool I can buy to do a pressure test on the cooling system? I know how to do a leak down test on the engine as well as a compression test but what about for the cooling system?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts