Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some one had already posted a way of making your own bracket. I went a different approach and thought I would share it with yall. The only things you need to buy is 1" 1/16 thick aluminum angle from Home Depo, 2 small allen screws,nuts and washers,a lighting system(led or the mounting screws with the led inside of it) and have access to a chop saw.

First, remove the 4 bolts holding the stock fender and cut the wires right at the light housing. Using a grinder or the side of the chop saw blade, round off two of the ends so it fitts under the colored plastic.

Next, mark the holes by using the removed plastic fender

Then mark the holes for the black mounting bracket that came with the bike

Paint the aluminum bracket and stock mounting screws black and install.
I ended up cutting off some of the extra aluminum to give it a cleaner look but I did not get a picture of that.

Here is the finished product after I removed the bitch pegs. I have not added the lights let since my metal licence plate bracket has not arrived yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did cut off the sides of the original bracket(where the reflectors go) and smoothed the edges up.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Nice Tye! The angle aluminum is actually what I bought initially to use but then I forgot it in the back of my buddies truck so I started brainstorming and came up with the other method. Both look great to be sure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I did cut off the sides of the original bracket(where the reflectors go) and smoothed the edges up.
You don't need those anyway. I may redo mine if my wife doesn't like my professional work. Not that mine looks bad, yours just looks a tad cleaner. Nice work.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
good deal man! Looks good and clean

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
are you using a LED light? i don't see it. BTW, very clean work, i think i'll do mine like this.
stock red lights.. looks to be.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lee, I'm going to use the led light that is inside the mounting bolt. They are called "cool spots". I have not mounted them yet since my metal plate has not arrived yet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looks Very nice, seems simple too. Do you have a pic of the oem light? is there a way to use that and not have to toss it out or buy a new plate light? Or is the oem a exposed unit?

Under200

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Under200, You could probably use the oem light but you would still probably have to cut the wires. You would also have to modify the bracket. I chose to go with an aftermarket light(not installed yet) to make the under tail cleaner. I spent around $28 for the "cool spots" and they will replace the reflector bolts that are in the pics. The 3 cluster LED would also be an option. They are not as bulky as the oem light.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cool, thanks. I broke down and ordered a 5 segment LED off Ebay for about 10 bucks. Maybe once I get it I will dive into this project. Thanks again for the pic of the bracket and install.

Under200

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
DieselDan
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing