Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am approaching 24,000 kms on my 2006 GSXR 600 and am getting ready for the next "major" service.

The bike is running fine. The only thing I've noticed is that when cold there is a bit of a ticking noise, but once the bike warms up this goes away.

During this service I plan to:

• Check (and if necessary adjust) valve clearances
  • Change oil / filter
  • Replace spark plugs
I have some questions about some others things that I may get done at the same time while everything is apart:
  • Would I benefit going to a manual cam chain tensioner? Coming from a Honda VTR 1000 which had a major design flaw with the stock automatic one, I changed it to a manual the day I bought it. Is there such an issue on the GSXR 600 / would it benefit from a manual cam chain tensioner?
  • Should I remove/block off the PAIR system?
  • Should I flush and replace the coolant, or just top it up? (Unsure when this was last done)

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
I would replace the valve cover gasket. I know its rubber, and it may very well look in good condition, but if its never been replaced, and some time next year it starts seeping oil all over your head, you're gunna wish you did it. Its kind of overkill, but when i did my valves, that's what i did just so i knew i wouldn't have to tear it back apart to do later.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,422 Posts
I've reused the rubber gasket, and never had any leaks.

Changing the coolant isn't a bad idea. New sparks is a given. The older bikes had issues with the CTT, but after 2003, the factory one works just fine. Why are you thinking about removing the PAIR? The only reason to remove it is to drop the weight. There's no other reason to dick with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've reused the rubber gasket, and never had any leaks.

Changing the coolant isn't a bad idea. New sparks is a given. The older bikes had issues with the CTT, but after 2003, the factory one works just fine. Why are you thinking about removing the PAIR? The only reason to remove it is to drop the weight. There's no other reason to dick with it.
There was no reason other than while I'm in there, it would make sense to do it at the same time. But if there's no benefit (weight doesn't bother me) then I'll leave it as Mr Suzuki intended.

Good to know the stock cam chain tensioner is adequate, I'll leave it stock and that'll save a bit of money and time too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's a 12 year old bike, lots of rubber parts should have been replaced by that point. I'd be rebuilding the calipers, master cylinders, new brake lines, coolant flush, new valve cover and sparkplug hole gaskets, clean and lube all cables, lube the steering head bearings and rear suspension linkages and new fork oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts