Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,868 Posts
If there weren't shims, you'd have massive MASSSIVE issues. The usually get stuck with oil surface tension and stick inside the bucket, or to the top of the stem.

Where to start? Measure clearances, examine current shim for it's size, then select the correct size. Honestly, if you're asking this question, you're already well over your head.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,534 Posts
+1 Unless you bought a box of parts, there are shims in there.

Get a service manual. The quality of downloaded versions can vary a lot and you need one with quality pics. So also try nearby years and 600 manuals as the procedure ought to be very similar for them. For example, I have a K6 750 manual that is far better than my K4 600 manual. There probably are youtube videos. Measure and remeasure. There also are threads here about the procedure and how to organize things. The parts fiche lists shims in .05 mm/.002 in increments but Suzuki actually sells them in .025 mm/.001 in increments.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,868 Posts
^^^ you obviously don't know what you're doing. You have to measure your clearances, then look at the shim that's currently in, then do the math to figure out what shim to change to if a change is needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts