Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I bought this used 05 gsxr 600 used from someone not knowing what to check for when buying a used bike. However after riding around in my neighborhood to get the feel of the bike I noticed that the air coming from under was super hot, not long after I started realizing that the left side frame where my knee rests got uncomfortably hot. The bike will slowly climb to a max heat of maybe 225f at idle but would drop a little when the fan kicks in or significantly as I started riding again. It wasn鈥檛 until today that it actually shuts off at 220 after I slightly hit the throttle and displayed a red CHEC light. Any suggestions?

Premium Member
220 is when the fan turns on. It will turn back off at 212. 225 is a little hot but nothing to worry about, normal on a hot day. Yes 220 degree air is hot on your leg. You are feeling the fan blowing really hot air onto your legs. I don't know what to tell you about the check light. Is it showing a FI code on the dash?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
220 is when the fan turns on. It will turn back off at 212. 225 is a little hot but nothing to worry about, normal on a hot day. Yes 220 degree air is hot on your leg. You are feeling the fan blowing really hot air onto your legs. I don't know what to tell you about the check light. Is it showing a FI code on the dash?
Thank you for the response I will check in the morning. If I had that code would it always be on the dash or only when it shuts off?

Premium Member
It will always be on, in the lower right corner of the dash. Is the CHECK warning on all the time when the bike is running?

Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
As an owner of a k5 600.... yes, there's a lot of heat and the frame does get quite warm. When it gets to 220 the fan should come on, and then it's a crazy amount of heat that comes out the right side. Mine will get to about 221 before the temp starts to drop. If yours got to 225, I would say it might be time for a coolant flush. You have a 15 year old bike and it might have been neglected. Inspect all the coolant hoses and make sure they're not swollen.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you have a problem, just an incorrect expectation. Keep an eye on it though, and if it goes over 225 you might have an issue to deal with. Also, as soon as you start riding at 30mph or more, that temp should drop to about 185 and do so pretty quickly. Use that as a benchmark temp too and let us know what happens when you're moving.

Lastly, check your idle speed. Lord knows why, but people turn the idle speed down to make them lope. Hot idle speed on that bike should be about 1400rpm. I don't care if it sounds fast, that's what it should be. 1500 if it has an aftermarket exhaust. The reason I mention this is because folks will turn it down to 800-900, then adjust the TPS. CORRECT idle speed, then adjust TPS. If the previous owner did this, your bike is running lean and will produce more heat because of it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
It will always be on, in the lower right corner of the dash. Is the CHECK warning on all the time when the bike is running?
The check warning is not always on. I was on just now b4 I started the bike up but went away after I turn off the ignition. At the moment there鈥檚 a red light at the top right of the dash and an oil symbol underneath but both goes away when the bike is running. I鈥檓 think maybe electrical issue? Would I be better off taking it to a shop?

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
As an owner of a k5 600.... yes, there's a lot of heat and the frame does get quite warm. When it gets to 220 the fan should come on, and then it's a crazy amount of heat that comes out the right side. Mine will get to about 221 before the temp starts to drop. If yours got to 225, I would say it might be time for a coolant flush. You have a 15 year old bike and it might have been neglected. Inspect all the coolant hoses and make sure they're not swollen.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you have a problem, just an incorrect expectation. Keep an eye on it though, and if it goes over 225 you might have an issue to deal with. Also, as soon as you start riding at 30mph or more, that temp should drop to about 185 and do so pretty quickly. Use that as a benchmark temp too and let us know what happens when you're moving.

Lastly, check your idle speed. Lord knows why, but people turn the idle speed down to make them lope. Hot idle speed on that bike should be about 1400rpm. I don't care if it sounds fast, that's what it should be. 1500 if it has an aftermarket exhaust. The reason I mention this is because folks will turn it down to 800-900, then adjust the TPS. CORRECT idle speed, then adjust TPS. If the previous owner did this, your bike is running lean and will produce more heat because of it.
Maybe I do have an incorrect expectation. The temp does drop drastically when the bike is moving and not sure if I mentioned but it did die on me once after it reached 220f and i slight hit the throttle however it started right back up with no problems. Now I鈥檓 a bit lost with the whole idle speed you mentioned I would have to do some research to get a better understanding. Nonetheless thank you and I will keep an eye on it and see if I can get a coolant flush asap

Premium Member
Everything you mentioned is perfectly normal. the check light comes on before start up The red light is normal. Everything sounds fine to me. Just be safe out there this bike is not a beginner bike. You can get in over your head very quick. IIf you look at the top of this page one of the sticky threads is about flushing your coolant. Do it yourself, learn how to work on your bike. Its fun.

Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
Idle isn't rocket science. When the bike is warmed up and idling, what does the RPM dial say?

Registered
Maybe I do have an incorrect expectation. The temp does drop drastically when the bike is moving and not sure if I mentioned but it did die on me once after it reached 220f and i slight hit the throttle however it started right back up with no problems. Now I鈥檓 a bit lost with the whole idle speed you mentioned I would have to do some research to get a better understanding. Nonetheless thank you and I will keep an eye on it and see if I can get a coolant flush asap
I think... THINK... that a 750 I owned shut-off after overheating. A part was replaced and it never happened again. Wish I could remember the part :( Do recall that it was a common problem with certain years.

As you wrote, it started right up when it cooled down. Never happened with my 鈥97 600.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Everything you mentioned is perfectly normal. the check light comes on before start up The red light is normal. Everything sounds fine to me. Just be safe out there this bike is not a beginner bike. You can get in over your head very quick. IIf you look at the top of this page one of the sticky threads is about flushing your coolant. Do it yourself, learn how to work on your bike. Its fun.
Thanks man I appreciate all of you guys. All will practice doing all that by myself. After all I did find out that the bike was modded for stunting purposes so now I鈥檓 having fun converting it back in a normal street bike. I also found that the bike didn鈥檛 shut off because it got too hot. I believe it shut off because it lost power.. maybe because the idle is too low

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Idle isn't rocket science. When the bike is warmed up and idling, what does the RPM dial say?
Ok smart ass you didn鈥檛 start riding know what every term meant. But I appreciate your help regardless. It鈥檚 idles at roughly 1000 rpm doesn鈥檛 seems to go much higher or lower. Should it be higher since it is running an aftermarket exhaust?

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I think... THINK... that a 750 I owned shut-off after overheating. A part was replaced and it never happened again. Wish I could remember the part :( Do recall that it was a common problem with certain years.

As you wrote, it started right up when it cooled down. Never happened with my 鈥97 600.
I realized the heat had nothing to do with why the bike shuts off. The last time I rode it died at way lower temps, but once again started right back up no issues

Premium Member
Your Idle when the bike is warmed up should be 1400, you need to adjust your idle. Do a quick interweb search on how to do it. Its very easy. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts