Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an 05 gsxr 1000 in very mint condition it has a slip on and SET valve bypass and that’s about it. My issue that this bike has been randomly stalling while riding, it is usually after 30+min of riding it doesn’t matter if it’s spirited or commuting, hot or cool day, the bike will just stall and throw a “chec” light. I can turn the key off and then restart the bike while rolling and it will typically fire back up and go for a bit before dying out again. There Is no consistent riding behavior that causes this. It’s done it on braking and even throttle cruising and tipped over on corner exit. This has me stumped because j cannot replicate the issue enough to pinpoint it and it’s hard to bust out my garage tools on the side of the road on a Sunday ride.

I’ve disconnected the side standswitch and put a new battery in it so far and neither have solved the issues.
Any suggestions.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,751 Posts
"throw a "chec" light" You mean you're seeing CHEC or the red fault light comes on? Buy a dealer mode switch and look for a code. As long as there's no chance of overheating, you can put it in dealer mode while you ride. CHEC means that the ECM has lost power or that the lead from the ECM to the cluster has failed, typicaly at the big connector inside the left front fairing. But a failed lead won't shut the bike down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By chec light I mean the actual “chec” and red light come on. Would riding the bike with the dealer mode jumped via a paperclip and hoping it happens again give me a potential code? It seems fairly obvious from my reading at this point the ecm is loosing power for 3 seconds or whatever and causing the issue. Is there a good place to start on this or is it a needle in a haystack type thing in the main harness? Could a bad reg rec cause this issue or would the symptoms be different?

·
10,751 Posts
You're inviting problems with a paperclip but suit yourself. I'd first be wondering if the interlock relay tripped because of an issue with the kickstand and/or its switch. After that I'd wonder about the engine stop switch or the ignition switch. A voltmeter will tell you if the R/R is failing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to look in to the engine stop switch and the ignition switch this week. The side stand switch is already disconnected would this not eliminate it from he possible list of possible problems?

·
10,751 Posts
The side-stand switch can be disconnected but you need to jumper the contacts on the wiring harness connector to act like the side-stand is up. There's an O/W lead to the dealer mode connector and a B/W ground. The O/W provides 12 V power to the ECM and the coil side of the fuel pump relay. If you connect a 12 V LED to the O/W and the ground, you can monitor power to the ECM. With some suitable length leads, you can bring the LED forward and tape it to the fuel tank or whatever so you can see it while you're riding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts