Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any track stock suspension settings yet for a 180lb rider; sag numbers, rebound and compression for an 05 GSXR 1000 ? Thank you all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ran a K5 at the Suzuka round of the all Japan superbike championship. Unfortunately on a stock suspension. Myself and a freind Akira Tamitsuji(13th overall JSB last year) both tested my bike and both found we liked the same settings give or take 1 click:

All of the below are for a BONE stock suspension, I'm about 175-180lb..

Front:
-Forks dropped 5-8mm
-Comp. Max-2
-Reb. Max-2
-Preload: 3 lines showing

Rear:
Sag:30mm
height: +2mm(spacer under the clevis), but run stock height if you can get a stiffer spring or aren't grounding out.
Comp: Stock +2
Rebound: Stock

We found the rear shock to work surprisingly well from the factory(no joke) The spring at 80N/mm is a bit soft for both of us(i'm 175lb.) Those considering keeping the stock shock may want to swap on a spring off a 03-its 85N/mm. Although I'd reccomend even going to a 95n/mm(what we are running on the new Ohlins- 95N/mm=9.6kg/mm=525lb/in. approx.)

The stock linkage is very slightly rising rate and works fairly well, not scary like the std link off the 01. Several teams have experimented with longer dogbones to get a more linear progression out of the linkage with good results. Not sure how much longer though.

The stock springs and oil level on the front seemed pretty good(9.5 n/mm w 101mm oil) you could probably even drop the oil level down to 120mm with no problems depending on your preference.
The damping is absolute garbage in the forks-horribly underdamped.

The bike seems to like the wheelbase long and the COG as low as possible. We were running 27mm triples off our old bike. The stock at 30mm are a bit twitchy.

FWIW

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
now thanks for that info..i do agree the stock shock r truly awesome for oem....never felt so good/sturdy riding hard on the stock shock. now im begining to wonder if i ordered the Ohlins shock was a good thing or not...what you think? i weight 160lbs without gear. im gonna have to change the spring for the front to balance it out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm on a Ohlins now, its good as usual,(90N/mm spring fitted std to the ohlins-weve gone to 95) but to be honest what I'd do is see if you can get a 03 shock spring(85N) stick it on the 05. That should do it and cost you next to nothing. I dont think I'd change the fork springs-even at your weight. Just drop the oil level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slegros,
Dialed in your set up for the k5 as you suggested and I'm quite pleased. Did you find on the 3 line preload setting you used for the fork get you the 25mm to 30mm sag you wanted? Also, regarding the shock, do you happen to remember before you installed the Ohlins the amount of exposed threads they are on the stock shock after your set up.? Looking for an 03 spring as we speak.
Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can't remember what the sag number was off the front fork. We went with 3 lines for a slightly different reason. We wanted a firmer initial feel to the fork to get a bit more stability through the high speed sweepers and to give a bit more stability if we had to suddenly get on the brakes or cut the throttle. The fork wasnt bottoming, so it was the initial feel we were looking to tune with the preload, that initial feel was what was important to us not a sag number.

As for the shock, not sure about your question, but on the Ohlins we run it pretty close to the bottom of its height adjustment with maybe at most 2 mm thread showing. On either shock stock or Ohlins it seems to like 30-35mm of sag, any less and it seems to get a bit twitchy on the brakes. I cant remember how many mm of thread on the body, but whatever will give you about 30mm of sag should be good. My guess is about 12mm of preload on the spring.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
slegros....umm i guess your right . save me a few hundred buks. the oem suspension is hard enough indeed... now that you mention it ! thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
slegros,
As a former club racer a lot of years ago I understand your concerns about initial front fork feel and weight transfere during hard braking. Thank you again for your insight regarding the k5 setup and lastly the best of everything for this season.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I ran a K5 at the Suzuka round of the all Japan superbike championship. Unfortunately on a stock suspension. Myself and a freind Akira Tamitsuji(13th overall JSB last year) both tested my bike and both found we liked the same settings give or take 1 click:

All of the below are for a BONE stock suspension, I'm about 175-180lb..

Front:
-Forks dropped 5-8mm
-Comp. Max-2
-Reb. Max-2
-Preload: 3 lines showing

Rear:
Sag:30mm
height: +2mm(spacer under the clevis), but run stock height if you can get a stiffer spring or aren't grounding out.
Comp: Stock +2
Rebound: Stock

We found the rear shock to work surprisingly well from the factory(no joke) The spring at 80N/mm is a bit soft for both of us(i'm 175lb.) Those considering keeping the stock shock may want to swap on a spring off a 03-its 85N/mm. Although I'd reccomend even going to a 95n/mm(what we are running on the new Ohlins- 95N/mm=9.6kg/mm=525lb/in. approx.)

The stock linkage is very slightly rising rate and works fairly well, not scary like the std link off the 01. Several teams have experimented with longer dogbones to get a more linear progression out of the linkage with good results. Not sure how much longer though.

The stock springs and oil level on the front seemed pretty good(9.5 n/mm w 101mm oil) you could probably even drop the oil level down to 120mm with no problems depending on your preference.
The damping is absolute garbage in the forks-horribly underdamped.

The bike seems to like the wheelbase long and the COG as low as possible. We were running 27mm triples off our old bike. The stock at 30mm are a bit twitchy.

FWIW
Excellent info slegros

I am not running at the track at the moment, but I am going to try out your settings anyway.

Currently I am getting some headshake when accelerating hard, especially fro 2nd to 3rd to 4th gear and the bike does feel a little nervous through very high speed sweepers @ + 200 km/h (we can do that on the roads here in Korea........some times little traffic and cops don't care about us). I do feel very confident in it, but it is just a tad little light/nervous up front

It is with interest i see your comment about longer wheelbase/trail.
I have a set of Harris triples (the actually was ment for my K2 but that bike is pretty much in the ballpark as it is with all the ohlins stuff, very stable at high speeds now) with two different inserts available that will fit. Is this the only cure for the K5's headshake or could something be done with the suspension settings?
I am thinking of installing the +3 insert or what you think?
Could you explain to me how 27mm triples gives lomger wheelbase than 30mm. I don't seam to know shit about these things

I am running pretty much stock suspension settings with just a tad more comp and rebound added up front and one round preload added (clockwise) on the shock.
Rear sag at 30mm.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am still on an everlasting learning curve when it comes to suspesion

·
Registered
59 Posts
The 27mm triples will shorten your wheelbase and increase the trail. On your harris triples that would be a -3 insert(you want to bring the wheel 3mm closer to the engine to increase trail). The increased trail will make the bike slightly heavier steering but a bit more stable.

As for wheelbase, get your rear wheel as far back in the adjusters as you can (you will need a longer chain). This will put more weight on the front, lengthen the wheelbase and increase high speed stability.

Have a look at Mladin's, Kagayamas, Corsers, for that matter pics of any top suzukis-you will see the rear wheel as far back as it can go. If the chassis is very stiff(GSXR's are) and the wheelbase is short you encounter 'weave mode instability" (do a search its a complex topic). Getting the wheel back in the adjusters will make the bike more stable at speed. Thats the whole reason suzuki added so much adjustment room to the K5-to get the stability required on the less stable race tires. My guess is the instability you're getting in those high speed sweepers can be tuned out by getting that rear wheel back further in the adjusters-suspension settings will only mask the problem.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
slegros...The stock springs and oil level on the front seemed pretty good(9.5 n/mm w 101mm oil) you could probably even drop the oil level down to 120mm with no problems depending on your preference.

is this correct front oem spring rates 95? and did you do any upgrades to your front?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im new to the street bike world, I have raced motocross and super moto for years. I have a 2005 gsxr 1000, I am 250 lbs. in street clothes, please advise on front and rear spring weights and oil height along with comp. and rebound settings to get me in the ball park. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Im new to the street bike world, I have raced motocross and super moto for years. I have a 2005 gsxr 1000, I am 250 lbs. in street clothes, please advise on front and rear spring weights and oil height along with comp. and rebound settings to get me in the ball park. Thanks guys.
For the rear you'll probably need a 550 pound spring, maybe more. Stock is 425.

My tuner told me the stock is a 1.0 kg - which is probably stiff enough for you. However, the damping on the forks is pretty light, you'd probably want a revalve to keep it from blowing through the stroke (both compression and rebound are pretty light on this bike).

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
the k5 wants a soft spring on the rear.

i believe i have a 425 on my penske and i'm 170lb

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was wandering what setup (rebound all that good shit) to use for myself? 05gsxr1000 and i way around 140 lbs.... the suspension feels alil stiff with little to no sag.... can anyone help?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
tell you what, just do a 1 click counter clockwise on the shock rebound. and if you like, you can also do the same counter clockwise on the front rebound. just do 1 click.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I On either shock stock or Ohlins it seems to like 30-35mm of sag, any less and it seems to get a bit twitchy on the brakes. I cant remember how many mm of thread on the body, but whatever will give you about 30mm of sag should be good. My guess is about 12mm of preload on the spring.
Old thread I know but I have just put a springs in mine.
Gone from an 81N/mm rear spring to an 90N/mm got 29mm of sag and there is 12mm of preload on the spring. I`m doing level 2 of Superbike School tomorrow so we will feel the results soon. I am going to gets the forks valved in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
christ.....you guys are fat:D
i'm some 130 lbs in full gear...
where is the JSB fellow???
what setting would you recomend for the track on a K6 with stock suspension???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts