Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me how much fork oil goes in each fork of a 2005 gsxr 1000, I've been looking and some people say one amount and another a whole different amount, I found a specification chart that says 100cc oil per fork does that sound right? thanks alot

·
One of the Jersey Boys
1,013 Posts
just wait...someone will have an answer soon. I just dont have that bike. Def get a shop manual!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally found an online manual, It says each fork capacity is 510mm, if someone can confirm just to make sure it would be great lol

·
Lets go racing!
7,568 Posts
I finally found an online manual, It says each fork capacity is 510mm, if someone can confirm just to make sure it would be great lol

Once u fill it and pump the rod, then you have to measure fork oil height to get correct amount. Its in the service manual @ servicemanualsgsxr.com.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
^^^ what he said, once you add your 510 mL of the fork oil, you have to set the fork oil height to 100 mm. if you're not confident doing it yourself, let someone else do it, not working front suspension is no joke.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
The volume is ONLY so you know how much to buy. ALWAYS go by measured level. If you just fill in by volume you will almost certainly overfill which can cause the fork to lock up going over hard bumps which can make you crash.

To measure the level right, the cap needs to come all the way off and the spring out. This requires a couple of special tools and you kinda need to know what you are doing. If in doubt, have someone capable do it for you. This is one of those parts you can do expensive damage to or that can cause a crash if you do a half-assed job.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
What I do: if the forks are known to be the right oil height etc. already... I just use two plastic measuring cups with fine gradations. And I put back into the fork exactly what came out. Yeah it's cheap and lazy, but it's quick. And I have to do the forks a few times a year on the track bikes...

·
Chubby Chaser
57,837 Posts
The stock fork oil height is listed as 101mm. This does seem a bit high to me. I would probably run it closer to 120mm myself.

Don't measure it by oil volume, its not reliable since unless you are dismantling the fork you very likely did not purge the cartidge of all the old oil that was still in there.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Don't measure it by oil volume, its not reliable since unless you are dismantling the fork you very likely did not purge the cartidge of all the old oil that was still in there.
True, but what you take out, you replace. That works, as long as the forks were otherwise fine. Lazy but functional.

·
Rectally Assaulted on a Regular Basis
1,147 Posts
A level syringe is only like $15 and a must if you do your own fork seals. 101mm is the level i set my 06 to and is what the manual suggests so i don't question it!

·
Registered
130 Posts
What I do: if the forks are known to be the right oil height etc. already... I just use two plastic measuring cups with fine gradations. And I put back into the fork exactly what came out. Yeah it's cheap and lazy, but it's quick. And I have to do the forks a few times a year on the track bikes...
yes just did a fork oil change...my forks have never been touched from new...my bike has done 13k miles...i got 500ml out of each fork leg which was good ... could have hung forks to drain overnight for the last 10ml ...but did not bother...500ml is good enough ... so i slowly.. poured back 500ml back in each fork. then pumped forks took bike for test ride everythings good ....

oh by the way... old oil was not too dirty for 13k could have left it longer ?

:cheers

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
The stock fork oil height is listed as 101mm. This does seem a bit high to me. I would probably run it closer to 120mm myself.

My spare forks are at 120mm. Not sure what my primary forks have.

·
Registered
911 Posts
did mine last night. drained them out god and pumped out the cartridges. poured it in untill was high enough to pump new fluid in and then set level gauge in and lowered it till we got to 101 mm

·
Registered
5 Posts
can anyone tell me how much fork oil goes in each fork of a 2005 gsxr 1000, I've been looking and some people say one amount and another a whole different amount, I found a specification chart that says 100cc oil per fork does that sound right? thanks alot
need 510mL of oil... special oil for gixxie forks only.. don't use replacement oils...

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
had to bring this back from the dead. i am in the process of bleeding the forks and wanted to know if there is supposed to be any fluid coming out of the rod itself? i don't and there wasnt very much gurgling ether. what was your method of bleeding?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,837 Posts
had to bring this back from the dead. i am in the process of bleeding the forks and wanted to know if there is supposed to be any fluid coming out of the rod itself? i don't and there wasnt very much gurgling ether. what was your method of bleeding?

The easiest way I've found for bleeding the cartridge is to fill up the oil in the fork. Collapse the fork down, pull the cartridge rod up a little and thread the fork cap onto the end (no spring or spacers, all loose parts out) then screw the fork cap into the fork essentially closing up the fork leg with it mostly collapsed. Hold the bottom of the fork between your feet and then grab the top of the fork and yank it up and down a good several time. This will create a vacuum inside the fork pull the oil and purge the air out of the cartridge alot faster and quicker.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts