Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Like said check out the hidplanet.com forums.

And I would be the one who had the post trying to find someone to spilt a pair of ballasts, have a look here and if you do want to buy one just mention that you'd like to split a pair with Col. He'll sell them individually when he finds two buyers.

If you want to buy the bulbs and H7 adaptors through hidplanet.com, which come in pairs then I'd be happy to go halves and pay for you to post to me.

Any questions would probably be best answered by CrMo4130, after all he knows what he's talking about where as I'm planning to install HID but have no experience.

· Registered
137 Posts
The way I figure you'd need the ballast, bulb, H7 adaptor and then use a relay triggered by the standard light circuit to provide a 20A fused supply to the ballast.

I've read that some people have found the HID bulb goes out while the starter is cranking and drawing most of the current.
But I already have this which doesn't turn my lights on until I put the bike in gear.
A cheaper alternative would be to install a manual switch to turn the HID light on after starting, but check with others as I don't know if this is genuine problem.

No bodywork mods should be needed but you would need some way to hold the ballast.
I plan to fabricate a bracket which will use the bolt holes already in the subframe for the Cali models carbon canister under the right side of the tail. Here there is plenty of room along with protection and still some ventilation as I believe the ballasts generate some heat.

I would use 4300K bulbs like CrMo4130 because they provide the most light output, where as the higher temp bulbs start to give off coloured light which is purely for looks and they have a lower light output.

· Registered
137 Posts
The problem I was referring to was one that someone else experienced and posted some where on this site.
The HID lit fine when they turned the ignition on but when they were starting the bike the HID went out and wouldn't come back on unless they disconnected and reconnected it, while there was no problem with starting the bike.

I suspect that the problem may have been an insufficient supply to the ballast and the ballast itself may not of handled restarting well. Wiring it up like CrMo4130 has shown and using a reputable ballast shouldn't cause this problem.

I just found this, so maybe LexusCruiser knows more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.