Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody see this in the May issues of Sport Rider?

Please do not forget to set your sag yourself as the magazines cannot do it for you.

By the way the 05 1K won the 1000 shootout and yes it beat the ZX-10R.

·
Banned
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to give it a try.

I set my suspension back to stock including SAG which I should have marked before I set it back as I had it perfect.

I weight around 205 and after setting the bike to the Sport Rider setting the rear was not doing it for me.

Here is what I did.

I kept the recommended front settings from Sport Rider as they seemed OK.

For the rear use their settings as a starting point and crank the preload down more 4.5 full turns.

Rebound damping 6 clicks out from full stiff.

Compression damping 10 clicks out from full stiff.

I plan to keep playing around with the stock settings until my funds allow me to dump the stock setup.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Anybody see this in the May issues of Sport Rider?

By the way the 05 1K won the 1000 shootout and yes it beat the ZX-10R.
It doesn't surprise me about those results, considering the level of performance from the new GSXR 1000. It is certainly well beyond anything out there this year.

I wonder if the ZX10R boys can admit it? Doubt it.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
those are suggested settings. ur nor that guy riden the bike like that on the track. those are a good referenece points to go from, but u need to set it to u, and u need to get ur sag set to ur weight.

Small adjustments at a time.

D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would definately not reccomend that little comp damping on the front fork. I ran a K5 at the Suzuka round of the all Japan superbike championship. Unfortunately on a stock suspension. Myself and a freind Akira Tamitsuji(13th overall JSB last year) both tested my bike and both found we liked the same settings give or take 1 click:

Front:
-Forks dropped 5mm
-Comp. Max-2
-Reb. Max-2
-Preload: 3 lines showing

Rear:
Sag:30mm
height: +2mm(spacer under the clevis)
Comp: Stock +2
Rebound: Stock

We found the rear shock to work surprisingly well from the factory(no joke) The spring at 80N/mm is a bit soft for both of us(i'm 175lb.) Those considering keeping the stock shock may want to swap on a spring off a 03-its 85N/mm. The stock linkage is very slightly rising rate and works fairly well, not scary like the std link off the 01.

The springs and oil level on the front seemed pretty good(9.5 n/mm w 101mm oil)
The damping is absolute garbage in the forks-horribly underdamped.

The bike seems to like the wheelbase long and the COG as low as possible. We were running 27mm triples off our old bike.

FWIW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.