Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a damper for my 05 1K.

I have a question for those of you that have used the aftermarket options.

Aside from the ease of adjustability are there any performance advantages/disadvantages between the top mount dampers and the OEM mount dampers?

To be a little more clear does the top mount perform better than the OEM mounting location or vise versa or is there no difference.

Thanks for the help.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
I am going to buy a damper for my 05 1K.

I have a question for those of you that have used the aftermarket options.

Aside from the ease of adjustability are there any performance advantages/disadvantages between the top mount dampers and the OEM mount dampers?

To be a little more clear does the top mount perform better than the OEM mounting location or vise versa or is there no difference.

Thanks for the help.
Good question.

I am under the impression from seeing the current superbike mount at about midpoint on the shock tube is ideal, why? I can only assume better leverage and having optimal quickness to the total length of the entire front assembly. I'm thinking in terms of geometry versus the positioning.

The OEM is at about the same level as the outside mount of the suberbike, only it is mounted inset between the two fork tubes. I would like to know what and why the differences from those two. The top mount is old school I think, and it also is overweight. It seems to me to be an excessive component to accomplish what the smaller shock type seems to do very well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts