Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out today and really got into the bike on a flat level rode shfting near red line 1, 2 ,3, gear. I noticed some annoying head shake more than just a wiggle and it concerns me. I have a scotts on my 954 which dampens out the head shake . Any info appreciated. Obviously there are no adjustments on the stock. Has anyone changed their damper ?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
I haven't noticed any, but then again I've not gotten past 7K in any gear yet.

Maybe you need to swap out the stocker for a better one.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have not beaten on mine yet enough to notice it but I am still waiting for Scotts to come up with a mounting kit.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've had mine to about 7K or so....I've yet to notice head wobble thank god...

I'll be upgrading the stock to an Ohlins or a Scott soon enough

·
Registered
335 Posts
I was out today and really got into the bike on a flat level rode shfting near red line 1, 2 ,3, gear. I noticed some annoying head shake more than just a wiggle and it concerns me. I have a scotts on my 954 which dampens out the head shake . Any info appreciated. Obviously there are no adjustments on the stock. Has anyone changed their damper ?
My '03 1K and my '04 750 will do the same if my shifts aren't smooth and/or I'm gripping the bars too tight -- although usually at higher speed (e.g. 4th, 5th, and 6th).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've only got about 1K miles on mine. But, have ridden it pretty hard and haven't had any headshakes or other instability problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
THE REASON YOU ARE FEELING THIS IS DUE TO THE FRONT END GETTING LIGHT UNDER VERY HARD ACCELERATION. THERE ARE A FEW WAYS TO HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM. YOU CAN TRY TO ADJUST YOUR BODY POSITION SO THAT YOU KEEP MORE WEIGHT OVER THE FRONT WHEN YOU ARE IN IT HARD. YOU COULD ADJUST YOU SUSPETION SETTING TO KEEP THE BIKE FROM "SQATING" SO MUCH UNDER HARD ACCELERSTION. YOU COULD GET AN AJUSTABLE STERING DAMPENER TO TIGHTEN IT UP, OR A COMBINATION OF ANY OR ALL THIES THINGS.

sorry this was in caps wasnt paying attention.

But I hope this helps. good luck!!!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My 04 1k does this with my scotts on it. basically ur on a bike that dont want to stay on the ground. When u do quick shifts at redline, u usualy pop the clutch back out, and quick. thats going to cause the bike to wanna lift up just a little. this little bit is enough to get the front to wiggle a bit. next time just pretend ur maladin, and tell the bike, YAA I LOVE IT BITCH, and let her rip.

D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took mine off of my 05 and drained the fluid out and put 20W-40 motor oil in it. I works like a champ on the track. However it does feel to heavy to have on a street bike. Try 10W motor oil instead, this should be a good comprimise. It will feel stiffer than stock, but not to heavy to be annoying around town.

·
Registered
86 Posts
THE REASON YOU ARE FEELING THIS IS DUE TO THE FRONT END GETTING LIGHT UNDER VERY HARD ACCELERATION. THERE ARE A FEW WAYS TO HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM. YOU CAN TRY TO ADJUST YOUR BODY POSITION SO THAT YOU KEEP MORE WEIGHT OVER THE FRONT WHEN YOU ARE IN IT HARD. YOU COULD ADJUST YOU SUSPETION SETTING TO KEEP THE BIKE FROM "SQATING" SO MUCH UNDER HARD ACCELERSTION. YOU COULD GET AN AJUSTABLE STERING DAMPENER TO TIGHTEN IT UP, OR A COMBINATION OF ANY OR ALL THIES THINGS.

sorry this was in caps wasnt paying attention.

But I hope this helps. good luck!!!

What he said I have had mine up to 150 a couple of times now and the only stability problem is keeping my ass i teh seat cause it accelerates so hard even at 120+.

·
Banned
14,060 Posts
I have hit redline in 1st, 2nd and close in 3rd several times and I do not recall the head shake being all that bad or really any different than on my 04 750. It may have something to do with me being over 200 LB or maybe I am focusing my attention on getting the shifts just right.

I will check it out again and focus my attention more towards head shake. I will let you know.

I plan to get an after market damper soon but these are a few things ahead of it on the wanted list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts