Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 1118 Posts

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY: How to Flash your ECM for US 05/06 GSXR 1000
BY: Ali F.

The intent of this DIY is to help people understand what is required to flash an ECM. This topic has discussed and brought to light thanks to the efforts of RidgeRacer (M.B.) who is an Embedded Systems designer and programmer. His contributions and tenacious ambition to change the way the motorcyclist think about other methods of modifying simple parameters which piggy back systems accomplish are the reason why this DIY exists.

First and foremost do no be intimidated by the length of this DIY. If you are familiar with my DIY’s (Clutch Mod: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136907) I use a lot of pictures to make the procedure as user friendly as possible to encourage others who have never done this kind of work to attempt the DIY and finish successfully.

“So what exactly does this DIY accomplish?”
The short simple answer is a common mod on the GSXR is the TRE mod (Timing Retard Eliminator). This mod basically removes the top speed limiter of 186mph and gets rid of the retarded timing in the lower gears and helps smooth out the throttle as some have indicated. This is done by tricking the ECM into thinking its in a higher gear(usually 5th) through the GPS all the time from the first generation of the TRE which was a simple resistor. The TRE evolved into a smart TRE with the addition of an extra resistor and transistor which still tricked the ECM into thinking it was in 5th gear all the time except for Neutral which behaved as normal. However the stock digital gear indicator on the newer GSXR motorcycles would read 5th gear all the time so the gear indicator was a lost function with the regular TRE and smart TRE. The next generation TRE was even more advanced with a micro processor which had all the benefits of a smart TRE and the star feature which allowed the stock gear indicator to function as normal.

With any generation of the TRE there are certainly positive benefits, however there are also negative benefits which are not talked about as often. One of the disadvantages is messing with the Ram Air compensation making the bike run richer in 1st – 4th and leaner in 6th gear.

So this DIY will essentially help you gain all the positive effects of a TRE without any of the negative side effects on your US 05/06 GSXR 1000. Not to mention all the other possible benefits of flashing a EMC has:

Increase the Rev limiter – set this to any safe rpm you need.
Hard fuel cut – the stock ECM uses a soft fuel cut at redline which cuts the outside two injectors. The hard cut cuts all 4 injectors.
Window switch – can be used to switch between different maps for NOS and other features.
Fuel control – fuel using MAP(IAP) maps for throttle position under 10% and TPS map for controlling fuel over 10%
Ignition control – advance and retard timing.
There are many more I can list but just think about the possibility to control almost every sensor on the motorcycle and the ability to write functions into the ECM to do things never thought of before with most affordable aftermarket piggy back systems.

Tools:
Small Flat head screwdriver
Needle nose pliers
10mm socket or adjustable wrench
Cold shrink or heat shrink or electrical tape

Parts:
USB TTL cable with Yosh Plug wired (RidgeRacer supplied)

Understand the DIY:
This diagram below outlines what we need to do in terms of wiring the bike for the ECM flash. Do not be intimidated there is only 5 wires you need to worry about. The table in the upper left corner explains what needs to happen when its all said and done. The color diagram in the upper right corner is what the wiring will look like after its all rewired.

The pictures is to help you identify which wires connect to what if you happen to build your own USB TTL cable with a Yosh plug. I highly suggest you contact RidgeRacer for a completed USB TTL cable with all the wiring done for you. Email him for pricing on this part. [email protected]

Disclaimer:
User assumes all responsibility for the results of using the information contained herein. User understands that the use of this information could result in the destruction of User’s ECU, damage or destruction of his/her engine, and sudden and/or unexpected loss of power or surge in power resulting in loss of control of User’s motorcycle causing serious injury or death.

User agrees that if he/she uses this information on an ECU not owned by User that User will inform the ECUs owner of the possible hazards.

Off Road Use Only

Modification of the ECU's factory settings may cause the bike to violate State and Federal Emissions laws and there for modified ECUs should not be used on public roadways.

------------------

--------------------

----------------------

·
Chubby Chaser
57,808 Posts
Big props to Ali and Ridgeracer for taking the time to pick this stuff all apart, and then piece it back together up here for everyone's knowledge/benefit. I imagine you guys have only scraped the surface in using the ECU reflashing for all it's worth.

well done.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Kaz, also big thanks to the Mods (SVS and Moto_Joe) for making it a Sticky.

Hopefully in the Future I can have the opportunity to make a DIY of a software interface that can be used on the Dyno and the ECM.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
there should be 2 stickies here....
1. for the write up its self...
and
2. for "HOW" to do a DIY thead!! lol
this is amazing. very lowledgable and very well put together.. awsome job man

·
The Crazy Hungarian
2,549 Posts
What is the difference to do this on the 06/07 or 08 600/750?:scratch I would love to play with this during the winter.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you would like to be the first to have this done on your 600/750 you would need to donate a ECM to RidgeRacer so he can pull the binary image off your ECM to be modified. As far as i know this has not been done yet. I would contact RidgeRacer if you are interested.

·
The Crazy Hungarian
2,549 Posts
If you would like to be the first to have this done on your 600/750 you would need to donate a ECM to RidgeRacer so he can pull the binary image off your ECM to be modified. As far as i know this has not been done yet. I would contact RidgeRacer if you are interested.
I have an extra 06 600 ECM I can send that to him. I am looking one on ebay for my 08 750. ;)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Great write up.
Stupid Question here:
Do I have to use the specialized plugs for the cables or can I use any old matched female/male plug with sufficient wire slots?

1 - 20 of 1118 Posts