Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Squid
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after five thousand kilometers, thats about 3500 miles, my clutch is toast. I go easy on my bike too...

When I give it full gas, the clutch breaks loose as soon as I venture into the real horsepower. This is around 5-6K RPM.

Anyway, is there anything I can torque down to get some more life out of it or am I going to have to buy new friction plates?

Any tips would be appriciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
73,234 Posts
sounds to me like it was out of adjustment since day one.

·
Squid
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds to me like it was out of adjustment since day one.
It wasn't out of adjustment at the handlebar, I had it adjusted the same on my 04 750 and it was still rock solid at 10,000 KM.

What should I tell my mechanic to pay attention too if it was out of spec anywhere else?

I have a pretty good idea, I'm just looking for any previous tips to go on before I do this tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The main thing to focus on when adjusting your clutch is the work adjustment screw. This is wats under the black rubber cap by ur shift lever. this needs to be adjusted properly. Suzuki says everttime the bike is in for service, it should be adjusted. U need to turn ur adjuster in all the way at the clutch lever, then pop the rubber cap off, loosen the lock nut, turn the screw in until u feel pressure, then back of 1/4 turn. It used to be that suzuki reccomended 1/2 turn. But at the 05 update seminar, they said they found it better to do 1/4 turn out. Then tighten the locknut, and adjust ur lever freeplay to 10mm using the adjuster by the lever.

D

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
This issue keeps coming up again and again so i wonder if mine will be adjusted when i pick her up. Chances are no huh!
Just make them adjust it at the dealer while you are there.
There is no doubt in my mind it is an adjustment issue with these bikes.
I put 10000K`s on mine before I totalled it and I did hundreds if not thousands of clutch up wheelies and never had a problem with the clutch.
I`m either going to by another 04 or 05 in the next week or 2 and if I go for the 04 the clutch WILL be adjusted before I accept it from the dealer and I would not expect any problem from the clutch for a long time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yep, waiting on parts for mine to come in, only I got 6k miles out of it before it died.

Does that mean I ride easier than you?

·
Squid
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The main thing to focus on when adjusting your clutch is the work adjustment screw. This is wats under the black rubber cap by ur shift lever. this needs to be adjusted properly. Suzuki says everttime the bike is in for service, it should be adjusted. U need to turn ur adjuster in all the way at the clutch lever, then pop the rubber cap off, loosen the lock nut, turn the screw in until u feel pressure, then back of 1/4 turn. It used to be that suzuki reccomended 1/2 turn. But at the 05 update seminar, they said they found it better to do 1/4 turn out. Then tighten the locknut, and adjust ur lever freeplay to 10mm using the adjuster by the lever.

D
Thanks alot for the tip man, the bike works perfectly now. I had to set it under spec though, more like 1/16th of a turn after bottoming out.

At least I'll have spare plates for when these ones go.

Thanks again, you saved my driven plates from certain death!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts