Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start this by saying every 1000 cc bike i have ridden has wheelied. Now i went out and bought a left over 04 because it is known for its wheelie capabilities. Knowing this you can tell that i ride street and never been on the track and if i did i would be riding a gsxr 600 for track. Anyways i can pick up this k4 when ever i want but the k5 is out and its a bad ass machine. I know that they make these bikes to race not wheelie but i happen to like wheelies so what i want to know is if any of you who had a k4 and got a k5 i woul dlike to know how they compare to each other on one wheel.

im readin posts that say they had a 02 r6 then a 03 r1 and then an 04 gsxr1000 and a busa and they can wheelie them all but the k5 is difficult! Well first off who the fcuk has 5 bikes in 4 years?
thats gay man try having a relationship with a bike for a bit! So besides this making my head run i also know that the bike has changed alot since last year swing arm longer, engine and riders wheight mooved up ect.

i also love to hit the twisties so it really makes me want the k5 . i dunno some one help me out cause i am not going to pick one up until i know which one i def want. I love them both but i want the one i will have more fun on.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Any bike can wheelie. I know a guy who wheelied a full dressed HD. And I know people have pics of Goldwings running on one wheel.

I say if someone who thinks a 400# bike with 150+ hp is hard to wheelie, then they really don't know who to do a wheelie in the first place.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've seen people ride extended standups on 600s which weigh the same (for all practical purposes) as a GSX-R1000 but make around 50hp less. I agree, if you have problems wheelying a 450lb, 150hp bike, you don't know how to wheelie.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I haven't been intentionally floating the front end, but it comes up under hard acceleration even when I'm up on the tank. Its a no brainer. I have had nine bikes in the past 6 years and I know TRAKMAKA has had two in the past week. :lol:

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
it's all about finding the bikes balance point... and each is different. you're gonna have to get the k5 up a bit higher due to the longer swingarm and more forward biased weight.

·
Registered
408 Posts
People are saying they come up too fast to find the balance point, not that they don't wheelie. I know mine does a hell of alot easier than my '02 does. And my stunter buddy rode my '05 last week and said he should be able to to do 3rd gear no clutch sit downs on my '05 that he can't do on his '04 (without the clutch anyway) Too bad I wouldn't let him try! HeHe!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
now my other ?
they say the 05 handles like a 6. ok so then how much better is it then the 04
thanks for the feedback too!

·
Registered
165 Posts
now my other ?
they say the 05 handles like a 6. ok so then how much better is it then the 04
thanks for the feedback too!
When it comes to handling there's no comparison....the K5 is THE bike to have. It turns so quickly that you have to adjust your normal turn-in process to compensate, and when you're leaned way over it's VERY stable. I'm much more comfortable and confident on this bike than on the K4. Go with the K5 or you're going to be kicking yourself in the ass a month after you get your K4 home.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Or spend some $$$ on the 04 - throw some ohlins suspenders at it, and it will out handle the K5...and K6....and K7.......
Si.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Or spend some $$$ on the 04 - throw some ohlins suspenders at it, and it will out handle the K5...and K6....and K7.......
Si.
I`m about to buy a new bike due to me throwing my 04 into a tree a couple of weeks ago.
I think I will stick to a K4 and do exactly what you said SI.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
I dunno, a little suspension servicing of the K5 (revalving and respringing) I"m sure could do wonders. COMEBACK had full Ohlins on his K2 and says that they K5 outhandles it.

There's more to the K5's outstanding turning capabilities than what's in the fork and shocks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the 05 is is alittle less stable on long wheelies, i kinda liked my 04 better on the mile wheelies. as for yank one up the 05 will do so at a lower rpm. AS for the guy preaching about his stunt buddy bring a 3 gear sit down on the 04 thats too easy. i was working on a 4th gear sit down with only one up in the rear on my 04. got it half way a coulpe of times. On the 05 i think i will pull it off with more time on it. whats funny is a 5th gear standup with stock gearing on the 05. But in the answer to your ? the 04 and 05 are about the same in powering up the wheelie but the 04 seems to be more stable. So it will be fine to choice either its up too you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts